Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's worse than I thought it would be, since I was fooled by the earlier rendering, but not completely terrible. Better looking than the LEAF and the i3 IMO, but again with only 4 seats like the Volt, they obviously just slapped a Volt "T" shaped battery pack under it. I also didn't see a fast charge port. Model 3 competition? No.

ehhh.... It does seem a bit small. And it's no beauty queen. It really doesn't look all that aerodynamic to me. And there is no commitment to produce it by any specified date. It's sort of sad to have photos of a concept car and be thinking, "Well... Maybe the production car will look better."

Despite all the talk about targeting Tesla, I think it's Nissan who are probably peering at this thing with keener interest.

Actually the message is what's more interesting than the details of the car. This is GM signaling everyone that they are on a path to mass-market BEVs. I thought that quote about abandoning the EV1 was telling. "We are not going to make that mistake again."

I was hoping they would show something closer to a prototype, but this looks very much like concept cars that have very little to do with the actual product. Therefore, no real specs at all. No cutaway views.

GM page provides the clarify that the $30k price is after incentives, so it's $37,500. The concept car also has a J1772, not a CCS type 1. The GM page states 80% charge in 45 minutes. Given about 55 kWh in battery (3 x 18kWh of the Volt), that's a charge speed of about 65 kW?

Interesting tread pattern on the tires.

I'd been keen to understand how this car gets 200 miles on a charge - at 30 mph? The aero doesn't look particularly impressive given 55 kWh of battery, I'm thinking it won't get 200 miles of EPA range.

GM page provides the clarify that the $30k price is after incentives, so it's $37,500. .
I found this strange since the Federal incentive is only good for the first 200,000 cars from each manufacture and by the time the bolt could go into production Chevy might only have 50-75k left depending how well the new Chevy Volt sells. Elon has stated multiple times that the Model 3 will be around a 35k car without incentives making it even more compelling if there is any federal incentives left when it goes into production.

2015-culture-bev-b1-980x437.jpg

Looks like Chevy took the handles from the Model S

I found this strange since the Federal incentive is only good for the first 200,000 cars from each manufacture and by the time the bolt could go into production Chevy might only have 50-75k left depending how well the new Chevy Volt sells. Elon has stated multiple times that the Model 3 will be around a 35k car without incentives making it even more compelling if there is any federal incentives left when it goes into production.

Yeah, because Tesla's known for the accuracy of their pricing predictions ...

GM had only sold 75k PEVs in the USA by the end 2014. The manufacturer gets up to and including the quarter after the quarter in which they hit 200,000 with the full incentive. So, given at least 6 months of 2015 with about 1.6k/mo sales, that's only 85k, so say 30 month of sales to go, that'd be 3,833 1/3 per month. and they'd still be able to launch January 2018 with incentives in place.

Of course, downplaying future price reductions is a good way to help sell your current car ...

I think this Bolt announcement was more about EV cred to try and help sell the Volt than anything. We know several manufacturers have an MOU with LG Chem to release a longer-range BEV.

Guys at Tesla said the federal incentives are per car model. I asked them for the fact of the model E. He said the model S gets 200,000, the model X gets 200,000 and the model E will have 200,000 of incentives before it gets lowered. That being said when the model E comes out watch out if you want the best price considering they may be manufacturing more than 200,000 a year. And on a side note:

Teslas gives you eight years of maps and internet in your car with the tech package
GM charges you up to $20 something for On Star

And as far as charging, if GM does not have a network in place or use the Tesla Supercharger the model E will win over the logical people.