Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm impressed that they are bringing it to market, but I've said it before and I will say it again--without an investment in public charging infrastructure, they aren't serious about selling them.

I'm impressed that they are bringing it to market, but I've said it before and I will say it again--without an investment in public charging infrastructure, they aren't serious about selling them.

Agree. This will be relegated to second car status/day trip car. A good effort and start it seems from GM but not quite there yet. Certainly not competition for the Model S in the long range category.

I think it looks quite peppy and will do well against it's target demographic - hot hatch buyers (young high-school/college kids with parental help). A battery the size of the bolt will be begging for someone to upsize the inverter and motor for "performance enhancements". That market should be good for the 30k production limit that GM is planning.

Great first look video. And a very good competitor to the Leaf. Similar pricing and double the range. I'm sure Nissan is moving along nicely with their V2 Leaf to match this.

The interior looks good too - seems very practical. I do hope it sells well - it'sjust what the EV market needs. Those who have the Volt and not the range anxiety (it seems many don't) may switch to this as well.

Looking at plugshare, it seems there is already enough CCS coverage that one could plausibly drive up and down either coast today. It will be interesting to see if by this time next year, there is a CCS corridor open between the coasts.

From what I've see so far, I'm impressed with the Bolt. If not for the Model 3 coming out soon I'd very likely get a Bolt.
In our family we will need two new cars pretty soon. Since the Bolt arrives later this year, we may get a Bolt to replace our VW TDI (can't wait to be rid of this high maintenance polluter). The second car we need to replace is a Prius which should last until the Model 3 arrives. So, one of each I think.

Looking at plugshare, it seems there is already enough CCS coverage that one could plausibly drive up and down either coast today. It will be interesting to see if by this time next year, there is a CCS corridor open between the coasts.
Well yay for those people on the coasts. The nearest CCS station is even further away from here than the nearest Supercharger. The nearest Supercharger is out of the range of any Tesla.

Well yay for those people on the coasts. The nearest CCS station is even further away from here than the nearest Supercharger. The nearest Supercharger is out of the range of any Tesla.

Well yay for those people on the west coast, anyway. Yes, it's hypothetically possible to travel in a Bolt from Key West to Quebec or southern Maine via CCS stations, but (1) you'd have to detour pretty far off I-95 through the middle part -- Savannah to Richmond via Columbia SC, Charlotte NC, and Durham NC -- and (2) the PlugShare ratings for some of those chargers are terrible -- meaning a relatively high probability of getting stuck or delayed by having to find a nearby L2 station. I imagine parts of the west coast drive are similarly risky via CCS, but I honestly haven't checked.

If GM wants Bolt to be a plausible long-distance car, they will have to invest substantially in building an actual CCS network -- not just one at each dealership -- or partner with / convince some other entity to do so. I know a couple such partnerships have been announced (I think BMW/Nissan and BMW/VW), but I haven't yet seen sufficient details to convince me they'll actually come anywhere near building a viable network.

I missed this earlier - "on-board cameras that on command project an image of a wide field behind the car onto the car's rearview mirror"

It is shown in the video around the 2:09 mark. Finally a proper video rearview mirror. Other than being an EV - this is of the best features of the car IMO - the rear mirror in its traditional form is such an antiquated piece of tech. Sure its simple and it works (reliably) but was due for some improvements (and regulation changes?). An old idea that people (well me at least) have been waiting for.

Last edited:
I missed this earlier - "on-board cameras that on command project an image of a wide field behind the car onto the car's rearview mirror"

It is shown in the video around the 2:09 mark. Finally a proper video rearview mirror. Other than being an EV - this is of the best features of the car IMO - the rear mirror in its traditional form is such an antiquated piece of tech. Sure its simple and it works (reliably) but was due for some uimprovements (and regulation changes?). An old idea that people (well me at least) have been waiting for.

another GM car the cadiillac CT6 has it, first GM car to have it and i think any car to have a video review mirror.
Cadillac | CT6 Sedan

In our family we will need two new cars pretty soon. Since the Bolt arrives later this year, we may get a Bolt to replace our VW TDI (can't wait to be rid of this high maintenance polluter). The second car we need to replace is a Prius which should last until the Model 3 arrives. So, one of each I think.
I just purchased a volt two weeks ago. Nice car and features. Got all options. Has lane departure avoidance which I was surprised gm offered. Mrsp 41,000. They did economize like leaving out home link ( no longer available in 2016 volts). I am very curious how they are going to add 150 miles to battery (they did add 20 miles to range in volt this year). Where will they cut the features to get to price point. Gas extender exhaust system and gas tank do not make up the difference. Of course their charger in volt is very poor. 5 hrs to put 50 miles on battery ( with level2, not included in cost of car....overnight with 120 volt source). Example new roadster battery, without profit to company 29,000 dollars with trade in of old battery. No trade in option with the bolt of course. So even if it were extra 15,000 cost to company? There has to be significant cuts to "trim".

I just purchased a volt two weeks ago. Nice car and features. Got all options. Has lane departure avoidance which I was surprised gm offered. Mrsp 41,000. They did economize like leaving out home link ( no longer available in 2016 volts). I am very curious how they are going to add 150 miles to battery (they did add 20 miles to range in volt this year). Where will they cut the features to get to price point. Gas extender exhaust system and gas tank do not make up the difference. Of course their charger in volt is very poor. 5 hrs to put 50 miles on battery ( with level2, not included in cost of car....overnight with 120 volt source). Example new roadster battery, without profit to company 29,000 dollars with trade in of old battery. No trade in option with the bolt of course. So even if it were extra 15,000 cost to company? There has to be significant cuts to "trim".
Thx Chicken, the Volt is a consideration for us, but if we can live without the ICE it would be better.