Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All EVs from a manufacturer, do the Volt definitely counts against GM's total. The clock starts when they sell the 200,000th eligible car - after which the finish the quarter and then get another quarter at full value, then two at half value, I believe. So presumably both GM and Tesla will try to ramp production as much as they can right after hitting the critical car to build as much as possible in those next few quarters - assuming Congress doesn't change the rules in the next year or two.

Produce or sell? If it's sell, Tesla or GM could build a huge stockpile ahead of the 200,000 car behind sold and then blow them out.

Did anyone catch what she said about the buttons? She said the people they surveyed wanted buttons for things they used most......really!?! Or maybe they still wanted to keep the buttons because they're lazy. It's such an outdated feature. What's that saying from Ford? "People don't know what they want until you show them....."

Yes, really. This is driving a car. Anything that forces you to take your eyes off the road for more than a glance implies a failure of UI design.

Knobs and buttons can normally be used by feel. You only need to take your eyes off the road for an instant, if that.

Touchscreens are good for infrequent actions where you need to find something.

It's comparable to keyboard shortcut v clicking menu options. But looking away from the editor's text isn't potentially fatal.

This is what you get when you have "ICE" engineers create an EV. If I didn't know this was an EV I would swear it was an ICE.

Yes,its a huge dissapointment. Perhaps they are saving RWD for a future sports car and don't want to canabilise sales!

There is not a good reason for an EV to have drive to the front axle unless its AWD.

Anyway, its a step forward, see how the charging infrastructure pans out.

Yes,its a huge dissapointment. Perhaps they are saving RWD for a future sports car and don't want to canabilise sales!

There is not a good reason for an EV to have drive to the front axle unless its AWD.

There's no reason it has to be the rear axle either, and many people prefer FWD to RWD. The bigger issue here is simply that the engineers didn't use space anywhere nearly as well as Tesla does, and they obviously still have the ICE mindset of putting the "engine" under the hood.

I didn't read all 121 pages of this thread, so forgive me if this was already discussed... If Tesla needs to build a gigafactory to have enough batteries to build 500,000 Model 3s per year, and I don't think we've heard anything about GM building a gigafactory or partnering with someone who will, how is GM going to build any significant number of Bolts? And presumably every Bolt they build will mean 3 Volts they can't build, so it looks like supply will be very limited. Does GM has a battery strategy up their sleeve? That and the high-speed charging story are going to be big issues for what otherwise looks like a great car for the price.

Mary Barra Introduces the Bolt EV (production version).

Not a "Jobs" yet, but certainly more rehearsed than Elon Musk. She states that it will go into production by year's end 2016. Mary T. Barra, GM - Keynote 2016 - YouTube

The killer app in that car has got to be the video streaming to the rearview mirror: 2017 Bolt EV: All-Electric Vehicle | Chevrolet ...imagine it on the Model X! It would solve that problem of obstructed view by the second row, center seat headrest.

You guys think the Model 3 will be able to hit its goal of going into production in 2017? It seems like a long-shot to me.

Did anyone catch what she said about the buttons? She said the people they surveyed wanted buttons for things they used most......really!?! Or maybe they still wanted to keep the buttons because they're lazy. It's such an outdated feature. What's that saying from Ford? "People don't know what they want until you show them....."

A friend of mine rear-ended someone because he was changing the radio station on a Gen 1 Volt. This is why I like the Model S proximity detectors and auto stop features (I didn't have the heart to point that out to him). Guess an old fashion ICE button on the dash is cheaper than auto-driving hardware.

Umm - GM have partnered with LG who are basically doing the entire powertrain for the Bolt.
Ok, but this article says that the LG battery factory has 1.3 million cells in process at any time and it takes about 30 days for a cell to go through the whole process, so at 5000 cells per Bolt (just a guess), that works out to a little over 3000 cars per year. Is my math wrong, or is the article wrong? I expect some of both, but it's a long way from mass market numbers.

A friend of mine rear-ended someone because he was changing the radio station on a Gen 1 Volt. This is why I like the Model S proximity detectors and auto stop features (I didn't have the heart to point that out to him). Guess an old fashion ICE button on the dash is cheaper than auto-driving hardware.

My 2013 Volt has forward collision alert and lane departure warning. The classic Model S doesn't.

The Gen 2 Volt has lane keep assist and automatic braking.

The Bolt will have blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, rear park assist, lane keep assist, front automatic braking, camera-based wide-view rear mirror, surround vision, and physical buttons on the dash.

My 2013 Volt has forward collision alert and lane departure warning. The classic Model S doesn't.

The Gen 2 Volt has lane keep assist and automatic braking.

The Bolt will have blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, rear park assist, lane keep assist, front automatic braking, camera-based wide-view rear mirror, surround vision, and physical buttons on the dash.

... available. (Physical buttons standard..)

Not a "Jobs" yet, but certainly more rehearsed than Elon Musk. She states that it will go into production by year's end 2016. Mary T. Barra, GM - Keynote 2016 - YouTube

The killer app in that car has got to be the video streaming to the rearview mirror: 2017 Bolt EV: All-Electric Vehicle | Chevrolet ...imagine it on the Model X! It would solve that problem of obstructed view by the second row, center seat headrest.

You guys think the Model 3 will be able to hit its goal of going into production in 2017? It seems like a long-shot to me.

Not a bad looking car for the $$$. I counted at LEAST 4 digs directly at Tesla (to be expected) - then I stopped counting :).

Rear view mirror is cool. I saw a BMW tech concept for their i vehicles that if your car is bumped while parked it automatically turns on cameras and records the event while sending you a notification to your phone. That is nice!

Hopefully the Bolt will help set the stage for Tesla's Model 3 and more global acceptance of EVs in general. I say good job GM on this one - Better than that Faraday Future car that's for sure! :)

More cargo space in the rear vs. a tiny pretty much useless BMW i3 style trunk. Not to mention from a engineering standpoint it also helps as you don't have to run the cooling system to the rear and it is more effective for regenerative braking.

If the front is taken up with all that charging equipment, they might as well place the motor there as well. In snowy/icey conditions, if you aren't going to have AWD, then front wheel drive is the safest choice. Especially is using chains, to have the chains on the steering/drive wheels is the best and safest control of the vehicle, as opposed to the chains on the rear drive wheels (which do not steer) and simply push you straight off the road.