Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They need to update their Bolt (redesign would be nice). It is pretty outdated already.

Makes me wonder if GM has some significant announcement waiting in the wings. The 2020's hit the lots not even 2 months ago and already have $8.5k rebates on the hood. We know the Bolt EUV is going to be officially announced sometime within the next year, and we also know that GM was planning to unveil some other BEV at CES this year until the UAW strike happened (whether that was the Bolt EUV or not is up for debate).

Bolt like that would be nice for North America as well.

dims

+ updated Volt plug-in with 150 km of EV range + gas would be pretty cool too.

Reactions: Reeler
Makes me wonder if GM has some significant announcement waiting in the wings. The 2020's hit the lots not even 2 months ago and already have $8.5k rebates on the hood. We know the Bolt EUV is going to be officially announced sometime within the next year, and we also know that GM was planning to unveil some other BEV at CES this year until the UAW strike happened (whether that was the Bolt EUV or not is up for debate).

I wouldn't read much into it.

EDIT:
On the Chevy website that $8.5k is for the 2019s Premier only, so they're just dumping.

Bolt is only $1875 tax credit and it's up against better-equipped Hyunkias with $7.5k tax credit.

There are 409 new bolts for sale in BC. Lots of discounts on the 2019’s. There is a Chevy dealer 2 km from our place that has 10 Bolts on their lot. Sales definitely seem to be lagging.

There are 19 new Leafs for sale in the province . All 2019’s. According to our sales rep the 2020’s are now about a week away. We ordered a 2020 Leaf SL Eplus that is supposed to arrive April ish. Our dealer has a bunch of Epluses presold although he wouldn’t specify how many. They are pretty big on leafs. Discounts are hard to get.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
GM has abandoned plug-in hybrids in favor of 100% BEVs. I would have liked to have seen a Voltec Equinox-like vehicle, but owell.

Yes exactly.

I think it was pretty stupid idea to kill one of the best plug-in on the market.

My ideal garage would be an EV for the everyday drive (Model3 in my case) + plug-in SUV with good battery (150 km lets say) and gas (another 500 km) range for travel.

I love the combo that I have now but if my Volt would have been a SUV would be nicer.

Yes exactly.

I think it was pretty stupid idea to kill one of the best plug-in on the market.

My ideal garage would be an EV for the everyday drive (Model3 in my case) + plug-in SUV with good battery (150 km lets say) and gas (another 500 km) range for travel.

I love the combo that I have now but if my Volt would have been a SUV would be nicer.

It wasn't stupid to kill it.

- GM sold Opel/Vauxhall so didn't need European compliance; they didn't even sell the Volt Gen 2 there
- CARB ZEV rules, and the Chinese and other clones of that strongly favor BEV over PHEV so the Bolt is a much, much better compliance car. GM needed the Bolt for compliance, but they didn't need the Volt.
- Battery prices are falling and available capacity will increase over the next few years, so the market is likely to trend towards BEV. GM will be able to keep offering the compliance cars while beginning to introduce proper BEVs from the top down.
- The chinese-built CT6 PHEV was not welcomed in the USA
- The trade war with China meant that if they had a strategy to build in China and sell it here, that strategy was becoming more difficult.
- The form factor is losing popularity. At the very least manufacturers don't want to make lower cars because consumers are suckers who will pay higher margins for crossovers and SUVs.
- If things change, GM still has Voltec in hand should they want it and they can release in a new package.

(I almost bought a 2019 Volt with the power convenience package, in order to bag one while there's still a PHEV with the form factor, range, spec and capabilities that would work well for us and for my commute, but a combination of factors caused me to hold off.)

Reactions: cwerdna
It wasn't stupid to kill it.

Well maybe you're right, but I am looking from the consumer perspective. They could continue develop Volt to a crossover adding the range. It wasn't interfering with Bolt. There are still many people on the fence with an EV idea and plugin was great help to make a transition.

Today Volt is gone and Bolt is still at 2016 year stage.

Reactions: cwerdna
At $20K less than the equivalent Model 3 in some cases, the Bolt is a good value. I prefer it over my Model 3 except on days where AWD is needed. Adding AWD to the Bolt or a new model would have me selling my Tesla.
I want Adaptive Cruise Control....when that occurs...I'll pass down my 2018 and get a new Bolt...ESPECIALLY if its heavily discounted from retail.

I want Adaptive Cruise Control....when that occurs...I'll pass down my 2018 and get a new Bolt...ESPECIALLY if its heavily discounted from retail.

I just drove one of my Bolts from Denver to San Diego and missed not having adaptive cruise. It has lane departure warning, auto high beams and emergency braking. Adaptive cruise is pretty common now and the hardware is there with emergency braking.

BTW: Had CSS chargers available the whole way from Electrify America with no lines ever. In fact, only saw a Nissan LEAF once, but otherwise had all 4-8 chargers to myself. Many times, up to half were not working, but the app accurately reflected that.

I just drove one of my Bolts from Denver to San Diego and missed not having adaptive cruise. It has lane departure warning, auto high beams and emergency braking. Adaptive cruise is pretty common now and the hardware is there with emergency braking.

BTW: Had CSS chargers available the whole way from Electrify America with no lines ever. In fact, only saw a Nissan LEAF once, but otherwise had all 4-8 chargers to myself. Many times, up to half were not working, but the app accurately reflected that.
You didn't take your Model 3?

I have ACC in our family hauler, a 2019 Honda Pilot. It's nice as it makes cruising on the highway easier, but one annoyance is when someone switches lanes directly in front of me within a car length or 2. Once the Pilot detects the car, it hits the brakes pretty aggressively to get the gap back to the minimum distance spacing the Pilot has been set to. Even at the minimum spacing setting, it is still easily a 2-3 car length gap, which invites other cars to squeeze into, which results in more abrupt braking.
Convenient, but not without its own annoyances.

I have ACC in our family hauler, a 2019 Honda Pilot. It's nice as it makes cruising on the highway easier, but one annoyance is when someone switches lanes directly in front of me within a car length or 2. Once the Pilot detects the car, it hits the brakes pretty aggressively to get the gap back to the minimum distance spacing the Pilot has been set to. Even at the minimum spacing setting, it is still easily a 2-3 car length gap, which invites other cars to squeeze into, which results in more abrupt braking.
Convenient, but not without its own annoyances.

Tesla doesn't honor a one car length gap either. It won't protect the gap in traffic so is useless too. My daughter's Nissan Rogue and the Tesla work great on the open road however. Around turns, the Rogue gets confused however.