Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

From the article:

“The first question, of course, is: Did this Bolt have the temporary (or final) fix applied? The temporary fix limits the charge to 95% of (the previous) maximum. We were told that this would be enough to be safe.

This could have been a Bolt that was fully charged and did not have either fix in place.

Or, this could be something entirely different like a fire started outside the Bolt or foreign object previously penetrating the battery box.”

From the article:

“The first question, of course, is: Did this Bolt have the temporary (or final) fix applied? The temporary fix limits the charge to 95% of (the previous) maximum. We were told that this would be enough to be safe.

This could have been a Bolt that was fully charged and did not have either fix in place.

Or, this could be something entirely different like a fire started outside the Bolt or foreign object previously penetrating the battery box.”
As the "fix" was announced just a few days ago (and it's only for 2019s at the moment), highly unlikely it was applied to this Bolt. Definitely bad optics though, especially with news of the "fix" just hitting the various major news outlets.

As the "fix" was announced just a few days ago (and it's only for 2019s at the moment), highly unlikely it was applied to this Bolt. Definitely bad optics though, especially with news of the "fix" just hitting the various major news outlets.

The temporary fix was released in November, almost 6 months ago. So the chances are pretty high that it had it, and it was supposed to prevent the fires.

Reactions: FlatSix911
The temporary fix was released in November, almost 6 months ago. So the chances are pretty high that it had it, and it was supposed to prevent the fires.
That was the temporary fix that reduced max charge capacity to 90-95%. The "new" fix restores capacity back to 100% with additional software monitoring safeguards, whatever those are. Who knows if the owner of that Bolt even got the 1st one done. I'm guessing not, but we'll see.

It appears that according to a first responder,
"A Tesla was leaving the development as we were approaching the entrance. It seems safe to assume that as the Tesla drove by the non-Tesla, it somehow ignited the battery in the non-Tesla by osmosis. We think the Tesla was also on Autopilot at the time as it hopped the curb as we passed. The non-Tesla model name is being withheld until further evidence refutes our opinion on the matter at which time most will have forgotten all about this unfortunate event where yet again, a Tesla wreaks havoc."
;)

"A Tesla was leaving the development as we were approaching the entrance. It seems safe to assume that as the Tesla drove by the non-Tesla, it somehow ignited the battery in the non-Tesla by osmosis. We think the Tesla was also on Autopilot at the time as it hopped the curb as we passed. The non-Tesla model name is being withheld until further evidence refutes our opinion on the matter at which time most will have forgotten all about this unfortunate event where yet again, a Tesla wreaks havoc."
;)

Linette? Is that you?!

Linette? Is that you?!
drat.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl

What do you base this on; that "chances are pretty high that it had it"? Has GM released figures on the number of cars that have had the recall done?

What do you base this on; that "chances are pretty high that it had it"? Has GM released figures on the number of cars that have had the recall done?
Based on how aggressive GM is with sending notices, and how easy it is. (People can just set to hill top reserve, or target charge level, mode on their own if they didn't want to bother taking it to a dealer to get the software updated.)

As far as I know GM hasn't had to report recall stats yet.

• Informative
Reactions: dgodfrey
Based on how aggressive GM is with sending notices, and how easy it is. (People can just set to hill top reserve, or target charge level, mode on their own if they didn't want to bother taking it to a dealer to get the software updated.)

As far as I know GM hasn't had to report recall stats yet.
As logical and likely your reasoning, it's still not fair to assume the worst until the dust settles. There's certainly the chance that this unfortunate event is the result of owner ignorance, either willful or clueless. Regardless, it's a setback for GM primarily but the entire EV community will suffer collateral damage.

I value your many thoughtful and intelligent contributions over the years and this is not pointed at you specifically but we should respond to half baked articles as we would if the shoe were on the other foot. I've been guilty just as much as the next guy and will try harder but the gloating from the other side during Tesla's struggles just a few years ago was ugly, disgusting, childish, irresponsible, tribal, slanderous, jealous, inciteful, erroneous and frustrating. I've been on the receiving end of that as hard as it is to not throw it back now that Tesla has proven them all wrong, I certainly would hate to be a reflection of that garbage.
This community and forum on a whole has shown to be above that.
Remember the mission.

we should respond to half baked articles as we would if the shoe were on the other foot. I've been guilty just as much as the next guy and will try harder but the gloating from the other side during Tesla's struggles just a few years ago was ugly, disgusting, childish, irresponsible, tribal, slanderous, jealous, inciteful, erroneous and frustrating. I've been on the receiving end of that as hard as it is to not throw it back now that Tesla has proven them all wrong, I certainly would hate to be a reflection of that garbage.
Remember the mission.
tenor.gif

As logical and likely your reasoning, it's still not fair to assume the worst until the dust settles. There's certainly the chance that this unfortunate event is the result of owner ignorance, either willful or clueless. Regardless, it's a setback for GM primarily but the entire EV community will suffer collateral damage.

I value your many thoughtful and intelligent contributions over the years and this is not pointed at you specifically but we should respond to half baked articles as we would if the shoe were on the other foot. I've been guilty just as much as the next guy and will try harder but the gloating from the other side during Tesla's struggles just a few years ago was ugly, disgusting, childish, irresponsible, tribal, slanderous, jealous, inciteful, erroneous and frustrating. I've been on the receiving end of that as hard as it is to not throw it back now that Tesla has proven them all wrong, I certainly would hate to be a reflection of that garbage.
Remember the mission.
I'm not gloating, I'm responding to the information at hand with my thoughts/opinions. I thought we were allowed to have discussions and do that.

I'm particularly concerned about the Bolt EV fires, and GMs recall method, because Hyundai had similar problems with the similar cells they received from LG. And they tried the software charge limit first and it was found to be ineffective. (They still kept catching fire.) So we need to know more details about this fire ASAP such as if the temporary, or permanent, fix had been applied to this vehicle. As it may cause GM to have to go back to the drawing board on their recall plans, and possibly go down the route of replacing all of the packs like Hyundai is doing.

I don't want to wait months/years for a NTSB/NHTSA report, assuming they even get involved. It isn't Tesla after all so it isn't being reported widely in the news "forcing" them to investigate like it would have been had it been a Tesla.

Last edited:
I'm not gloating, I'm responding to the information at hand with my thoughts/opinions. I thought we were allowed to have discussions and do that.

I'm particularly concerned about the Bolt EV fires, and GMs recall method, because Hyundai had similar problems with the similar cells they received from LG. And they tried the software charge limit first and it was found to be ineffective. (They still kept catching fire.) So we need to know more details about this fire ASAP such as if the temporary, or permanent, fix had been applied to this vehicle. As it may cause GM to have to go back to the drawing board on their recall plans, and possibly go down the route of replacing all of the packs like Hyundai is doing.

I don't want to wait months/years for a NTSB/NHTSA report, assuming they even get involved. It isn't Tesla after all so it isn't being reported widely in the news "forcing" them to investigate like it would have been had it been a Tesla.
Sorry for the confusion but I wasn’t implying you were gloating like the non-Tesla fanatics did for years. I was more trying to point out that making assumptions before all the facts could lead to the wrong conclusion. Not unlike the driverless Texas Tesla.
The bolt fires are extremely serious and well documented as such. The recent fire though still leaves too many gaps of information to conclude it’s a post update casualty and not lumped into the same pile of original fires. I completely agree if in fact this car was conforming to GM’s own suggestions of either a self limited or software limited max charge rate, then GM can file for bankruptcy now. I don’t see them ever getting back in the EV game if that’s the case. Unfortunately it would be of their own doing but it’s still premature to go down that path just yet.
Hopefully NTSB will expedite their report as they have implied for the driverless Tesla accident.
It does suck though that if this were a Tesla, Twitter, shorts, consumer reports, SEC, NHTSA, Jim Farley, etc. would be on this like white on rice.

The Hyundai batteries are not the same. The LG batteries in the Hyundai cars and buses are from a LG factory in China. That factory produced batteries that had a specific mechanical defect. Bolt EV batteries are either from South Korea or Michigan and don't share the same defect.

I completely agree if in fact this car was conforming to GM’s own suggestions of either a self limited or software limited max charge rate, then GM can file for bankruptcy now. I don’t see them ever getting back in the EV game if that’s the case. Unfortunately it would be of their own doing but it’s still premature to go down that path just yet.
I don't think it would be that bad, just like it isn't for Hyundai. More than likely they would pass it off as something like: "look at what happened when we out sourced something so critical; this is why we started over and developed our Ultium Battery technology."

The Hyundai batteries are not the same.

I never said they were the same; I said they were similar. GM has yet to publish what the actual root cause is, but they are playing with fire here thinking that they can let defect cells stay in use with the plan that they can detect when the failure is becoming imminent and notify the owner to take it in for module replacement. Of course they have more information than we do, and maybe their issue isn't anywhere near as serious as Hyundai's.

;)
1620186203092.png

The Hyundai batteries are not the same. The LG batteries in the Hyundai cars and buses are from a LG factory in China. That factory produced batteries that had a specific mechanical defect. Bolt EV batteries are either from South Korea or Michigan and don't share the same defect.
The Bolt cells at issue here were all made in the South Korea factory. That’s why only 2017-2018 Bolts plus some 2019 Bolts are subject to the new software update. Other 2019 Bolts and all 2020 and later cars have cells made in Michigan (which has a somewhat different supply chain) and are not thought to have the problem (whatever the root cause is).

Interesting article. I was a bit worried about battery fires (I guess because they are a danger we're not yet used to hearing about) but this article indicates that gasoline powered cars are 10x more likely to catch fire, which is reassuring. Do other studies support this figure?

Excerpt:
"While we don’t have the numbers for GM, proportionally about the same number of Teslas had caught fire as Bolts. The resulting numbers should thus be close to being the same – that is about 10x more likely for a gas car to catch fire than a Bolt."