Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, if true this is what we need to see! Companies stepping up with a decent range EV for a good price.

That said, I'll believe it when I can test drive it.

LOL. Yeah. I'm thrilled to see GM stepping up. This is great. I was a big follower of the Volt development too.

I can tell you that I don't need to test drive the Bolt because I'd much rather own the Model 3!
I don't think it'll be in the same class regardless. Model 3 is a premium luxury small car and the Bolt will be the down market offering.

Reactions: UnbeknownstToAll
It's good to see some competition for the Model 3. If anything, it will put greater pressure on Tesla to deliver on time rather than delaying it endlessly like the Model X. It does sound like battery supply is going to be a challenge for GM though, and without a facility such as the Gigafactory it will be difficult for GM to build them in the same volumes as Tesla will be able to.

wait , 200mi electric only? if true.....

wow.

Well, if true this is what we need to see! Companies stepping up with a decent range EV for a good price.

That said, I'll believe it when I can test drive it.

yep, and double yep. as i and many others have said...this is what elon wanted. (well...minus the hybrid part. but then again, some are saying volt owners drive more electric miles than leaf....so PHEVs will larger EOR are really good, imo).

oh, my fav comment on that endgadget piece:

WixosTrix 2 minutes ago
And it will be recalled in 2018.

edit: the more i think about it....the more i have think GM is partially BS ing. i mean, how can they achieve that mile/price point? maybe some sneaky definition of what is an 'electric mile'?

A Sonic based Crossover BEV with 200 mile range is not a direct competitor to Model 3 any more than a Sonic is a direct competitor to the BMW 328i.

Then there is the Supercharger Network.

But it is a major step up from sub 100 mile $30k-$35k BEVs and another step or two toward the electrification of the automobile.

If the Model 3 does nail the $35k base price then the GM BEV will be seeing sizeable discounts on dealer lots.

• Love
Come on, guys, it is another compliance car. In a shameless klick bait By WSJ: how car with a maximum projected volume of 20K per year can rival Model 3 that is being planned to be produced in a 25x volume in the same timeframe. I am thrilled that GM is doing this, but implication that this could somehow damage Tesla growth prospects is just wrong.

From WSJ:
The pack for GM’s new vehicle could be built in LG Chem’s Holland, Mich., plant, where the Volt batteries currently are made by the same supplier. That plant would have a capacity to build about 60,000 Volt battery packs, or 20,000 of the larger packs for a new EV, or a mixture of the two.

Automotive News has a slightly different version of the leak.

The car is larger than the compact Volt and has a hatchback body style, the source said. GM has targeted a price between $30,000 and $35,000, which would put the net price under $30,000 after a federal tax credit, the person said.

I guess we will find out more on Monday.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...s-all-electric-chevy-bolt-with-200-mile-range

And now the battle begins.... Can't wait for things to heat up....

If you are a slave to monthly sales, you will give up your long-term vision of what you think the future will be,” he said. “And we did that [with the EV1]. We had the first electric car. And we didn’t follow it up. Think of where we would be today if we hadn’t done that.

"And I remind people who weren’t in the company or are younger. I say, we are not going to make that mistake again.”

Come on, guys, it is another compliance car. In a shameless klick bait By WSJ: how car with a maximum projected volume of 20K per year can rival Model 3 that is being planned to be produced in a 25x volume in the same timeframe. I am thrilled that GM is doing this, but implication that this could somehow damage Tesla growth prospects is just wrong.

From WSJ:

Indeed, I don't see this impacting Tesla's growth prospects. That said, I see it more as GM putting a foot in the water than a compliance car. if GM sees demand, perhaps a couple of years after launch they'll make another substantial move with LG Chem to increase battery supply, so perhaps in the mid 2020s they'll have battery supply online to build volumes similar to what Tesla is focused on making around 2020.

Automotive News has a slightly different version of the leak.

The car is larger than the compact Volt and has a hatchback body style, the source said. GM has targeted a price between $30,000 and $35,000, which would put the net price under $30,000 after a federal tax credit, the person said.

I guess we will find out more on Monday.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...s-all-electric-chevy-bolt-with-200-mile-range

Except that they did not say there would be any more information on the Bolt monday. They said there would be additional information about the Volt. So far the Bolt is still just a press release, albeit they are adding to their story now, and I hope they can pull it off, but right now its just a bit of FUD to keep Tesla from getting too far out in front, and keep Chevrolet as part of the conversation.