Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt at Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's already happening - Austin, TX is a good example.
You know... it's rather brilliant:

-It provides a service to all EV's

-Is a goodwill gesture

-It gives those L2 EV owners several hours to stare longingly at the dozens of Teslas zipping in and out in 20-30 minutes, thus generating free advertising and potential sales impressions...

Also imagine buying a BOLT without the CSS DC charge ability... yes they actually come without the hardware.... instead of being software limited feature. I looked at several BOLTS and one of the "big" dealerships for them here in Maryland, they had about 6 when they first came to this state, and only 2 has the ability to DC fast charge! The sales team had no idea, and tried telling my wife that it wasn't necessary... I pointed out to them the physical hardware wasn't there, and of course it's necessary if you want to leave the area on say a road trip, or vacation or drive more than 250 miles etc....

GM really should make the CCS port standard. A CCS-less Bolt is a crippled Bolt, at least to me.

Just looked that one up on plugshare. Awesome.... but if that little clipper creek EVSE beside all those superchargers could speak, it'd be saying "Wait for me guys!!"
228672.jpg

There are a couple of Supercharger sites on the New Jersey Turnpike that have EVgo fast charging stations right next to them. As part of the deal to let Tesla install Superchargers at these rest areas, the NJ DOT required Tesla to wire the sites so that future non-Tesla fast charging stations could one day be installed. Like those EVgo stations.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Stealerships derive the majority (~74%) of their revenue from disservice (repairs and replacements).

Little wonder they do not incent their sales minions to sell vehicles that ostensibly require less disservice relative to an ICE.

I saw a Dolt pull into a stall at Hawthorne (see image upthread) a few months ago. Security immediately directed the hapless wretch (whose salesperson told him the night before that indeed, he could charge anywhere) around the shrubbery to an empty bank of Clipper Creek L2s.

Said hapless wretch couldn’t get those to work either, so he limped home to charge there.

It’s just going to get worse. I look forward to a ubiquitous standard for green paint and signage - including a combination of “This is not a parking space - EV charging only.” and a simple municipal no parking sign - per stall.

And fines/towing for parking in a green space that are equivalent to those for red and blue zones today.

Harrumph.

/goml

And in essence takes something that Tesla does not appear to be offering to them.

I find the existence of that adapter unfortunate, and would discourage folks from using it.
Its the proprietor that is offering the electricity....is it not? Its no different than if one uses a J1722 adapter when charging up their Tesla at a "public" charging station.

Because Tesla paid for the hardware and gave it to the proprietor. ??

Maybe my momma raised me wrong, but I would consider it stealing. If there were Chevy branded proprietary chargers (or whatever), paid for by General Motors to attract Chevrolet EVs, I would never use a 3rd party, non-GM approved adapter to charge on one of those chargers.

Did Tesla supply the hardware for free to this proprietor?

I think the hardware is provided by Tesla, but then all the electricity and management of the unit is done by the business that owns it. Which is the larger cost, I would imagine. There are a (very) few places that do charge Tesla owners for use of their destination chargers. Most do require you to be a paying customer at least. If I ask at a hotel as a paying customer, and they are OK with it, then I see no issue. The hardware is theirs to use as they see fit as far as I know.

I guess it is like the EVGo units around town and at dealerships that are part of the BMW and Nissan free charging program. Those manufacturers paid money to be a part of that program and put those chargers in. I still use those chargers and don’t really feel any issue with it even though I am not a BMW or Nissan customer. I am an EVGo customer in that case.