TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Chevy Bolt Hits Pre-Production = Media Loses Their Minds

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Sp4rky, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Sp4rky

Sp4rky Member

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  2. Jopo43

Jopo43 Member

This Volt owner could care less....... so want gm to go out of business....someone buy my volt never want another gm product....
    TESLA RULES

• Like x 4
    • Dislike x 4
  3. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

Awww, I love my Volt. Its been a great car for me. And I am NOT a GM fan - I had never even considered a GM car before my Volt. They impressed me though. I am actually expecting my Tesla Model 3 to be quite a bit less reliable than my Volt.

The Bolt is my backup plan if I don't like what Tesla releases. Might have to get one in black though to smooth up all those black body details. I saw a 2016 Volt in all black, and it really looks sharp that way.

• Like x 3
  4. roblab

roblab Active Member

Less reliable? Why? Volt has several hundred moving parts more than Tesla, plus you have oil changes, etc.

Usually Tesla new cars have a few items that need looking after at first, but the service center can easily fix most any thing. I had a rattle near the pano roof, and it was fixed in 15 minutes. I would hardly call that a reliability issue, more an annoyance.

I agree Volt is a pretty nice car. But it is a Gateway Drug, and Tesla is the hard stuff! I cannot believe (based only on 3 1/2 years of driving Tesla) that Bolt will give you better than Tesla. GM is unable to compete, will always be unable to compete, and they don't want to compete. They want to sell you hundred year old technology and their continuing business plan, outsourced to Korea, just like the Bolt.

5. Sp4rky

Sp4rky Member

I had a 2012 Volt until recently after it got into a pretty bad accident. It was fixed after an estimated $5k in damages, but I don't enjoy driving a once damaged vehicle. I did like the vehicle though. Reminded me of a concept car that accidentally got released. I got all kinds of comments from Jeep drivers ironically asking me about how it worked. There's a small part of me that will miss it as it got me used to plugging in my car nightly to charge like a cell phone.

I had NUMEROUS problems with that car, but I kind of expected it being first gen technology and all. I never had an issue with their service either. 90% of the time I got a rental Volt to drive. However, my car was in for an issue for an entire month one week after I bought it. I'm hoping the Model 3 won't be as bad.

6. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

Sure the Volt has many more moving parts that can break. But a Tesla has many more small electrical parts that can break. So they are probably pretty even in overall complexity. HOPEFULLY the Model 3 will be much less exciting in that regard.

Since I am hoping to get in pretty early on the Model 3, I might be well into the "beta tester" VIN phase (see: current Model X delivery stories). Hence I expect my Model 3 to be less reliable than my mid-cycle production Volt. Its not a bad thing for me, just part of the calculations.

7. eloder

eloder Member

You are comparing the high-end luxury Tesla model to a low-end GM plug-in hybrid.

Model 3 is going to be a good bit more simple, just like how my Leaf is incredibly simplistic and reliable.

8. Breezy

Breezy Member

I'm not sure this equates to the media losing their minds. I mean, GM published some photos and a video, and it was covered by the media. The Model 3 has been covered much, much more, and will continue to be.

Anyway, it's great that pre-production Bolts are already rolling down the assembly line. The Model 3 should be great, too. Whenever it arrives. All good.

9. Darryl

Darryl ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm

I word reword that a little, the Model 3 is a entry level luxury sedan. A Model S is High end luxury sedan and ModeL X would be a high end luxury crossover. All three are luxury cars compared the Volt which is not.

10. HookBill

HookBill Member

Oh Boy! Here go again. Volt/Bolt vs. M3.

Let the games begin.

11. bxr140

bxr140 Member

Lol at clickbait thread title.

12. Bokonon

Bokonon Title-customizing Member

Yup -- all good. The Bolt will be a fine car, and for me (a former Volt driver) it's a perfectly reasonable backup plan in the (very, very) unlikely event that the Model 3 doesn't do it for me.

I just see this press release as GM acknowledging that the Model 3 is going to dominate the "EV mindshare" on March 31st and beyond. They know they have a bigger marketing budget and first-mover advantage, so they are rightfully playing to these strengths while they still have them.

13. McRat

McRat Active Member

Does the Model S come with infrared night vision? Bird's eye video? Soft leather power buckets with massage (both front seats and REAR seats), 34 speaker engineered sound? Huge interior? Center rear console with wireless phone charging, and individual 10" wireless video entertainment w/ fully articulated screens for the passengers? Yes, these come with ACC/AEB/Lane Keep.

That's mid level luxury for 2016.

• Like x 2
  14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Premium, not luxury.

15. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

I sure hope so. I can only guesstimate what the Model 3 reliability will be like based Teslas current track record. Right now that only includes Luxury supercars since that's all they make. So I am currently assuming the track record will be the same, and if they manage to far surpass their current quality standards with the 3, I will be very happy.

So, for now, I am assuming my Model 3 will be less reliable than my Volt. Maybe it will turn out to be a very reliable vehicle. That would be great - it SHOULD cost less to maintain an EV. I have learned through a long history of following Tesla since the Roadster that managing my expectations is a good thing. I am cautiously optimistic.

• Like x 1
  16. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

The badging on the Bolt is cool :)

• Funny x 2
  17. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Is GM making the Bolt fugly on purpose? How do they expect it to sell vs a Model 3 with a sexy traditional sedan body and an autopilot?

18. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

I really like the Bolt - from pictures, and was really excited GM is building a 200 mile ev - until the Indiana dirty tricks. #boycottGM

19. cfttester

cfttester Member

Oh dude, don't be so cruel. Don't shatter the whole universe here :)

20. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

#20 Jeff N, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    I'm the original owner of the 42nd production Volt off the assembly line which was made during the first 2 weeks of initial production in late 2010. Aside from a minor cosmetic crack in the plastic shifter handle and a flaky passenger heated-seat wiring connector (both fixed quickly under warranty) the car ran flawlessly for about 5 years and over 100,000 miles. During that time it had nothing more than a couple of regularly scheduled oil changes at a total maintenance cost of less than $80 along with a free software update or two.

After 5 years, it threw an error code one morning which I looked up in the comprehensive GM service manual which I had bought for the car. The code indicated a self-diagnosed failure of a specific circuit board in the battery pack which monitored and regulated cell balancing for a section of the pack. The replacement cost of the board itself was $400 retail.

After the board went bad but before I had it repaired, the car automatically defaulted to a railroad train-like series-mode where the gas engine always ran in order to generate power for the electric motor in order to minimize use of the battery pack (and with friction-only braking). I drove the car like that for 3 weeks until the repair could be scheduled and completed.

As a software programmer, I was impressed with the level of self-diagnostics and the fail-safe mode that allowed the car to automatically isolate the bad part and allow continued use of the car on a completely new powertrain design.

I'm amused at the insecure defensiveness I see by some posters here and on other threads towards GM. I have more confidence in Tesla. They are stretched thin and are working double-time but I have little doubt that the Model 3 will be an awesome car although I personally plan to drive a Bolt EV for 3 years first before making the transition to the M3.

• Like x 5