Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt is Ugly, Model 3 Still Poised to outsell if Attractively Designed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. If they'd put the Bolt tech into a nice 4 door sedan, they might have a winner (still no supercharger network though). With gas falling toward $1, the only way a regular person is going to choose an EV is performance and/or a desire to not have a tailpipe. I'm not planning on ever buying a gas car again, but most people are barely even thinking about EVs, especially with low gas prices. It won't last long, but people are short sighted.

Let me predict that gas prices are never going to recover, because demand is going to fall faster than supply. I may be wrong, but my read is that falling demand signals to oil producers that the jig may be up, and they'd better sell all they can at current prices, or face never selling it at all.

Exactly. If they'd put the Bolt tech into a nice 4 door sedan, they might have a winner (still no supercharger network though). With gas falling toward $1, the only way a regular person is going to choose an EV is performance and/or a desire to not have a tailpipe. I'm not planning on ever buying a gas car again, but most people are barely even thinking about EVs, especially with low gas prices. It won't last long, but people are short sighted.
This is why I think Tesla are selling so many cars compared to the others.
Now gas is so cheap and just getting cheaper people aren't getting an EV for economic reasons, its because its an EV that is worth driving.
As you say, at some point full prices are likely to rebound and all those folks who re-bought those big v8s are going to suffer.
The current climate calls for desirable EV's not econoboxes.
Model 3 will hopefully be desirable.

I skimmed this thread but they're not in the same league even if they're the same starting price.

1. Buyer perception: Tesla is viewed as more high end ; Chevrolet is seen as a bailout company (Tesla receives federal money too but not a bailout) with poor reliability

2. The Bolt is styled like a Chevrolet Sonic hatch, Honda Fit, Kia Soul, or Nissan Cube , utilitarian so it's a ~$10K premium for being electric : Ford has a C-Max plug-in and Focus electric. The C-Max energi is ~ $6K more than the C-max hybrid. The Focus electric is about $10K more than the regular SE gasoline one. I can't see the Bolt being popular outside of California , where the HOV lane and other advantages over hybrids like the Chevy Volt or BMW i3 are greater.

3. The Tesla Model 3 will likely come in AWD, while the Bolt will be FWD like the numerous electric plug-in hybrids and hybrids. Right now Toyota came out with a RAV4 hybrid XLE AWD which will probably sell better than their RAV4 XLE since the price difference is a minimal <$3K for a city mpg and overall performance boost.

4. Charging network of Tesla is far superior to Chevrolet's

5. There's a market for used Teslas, the Chevrolet Volt/ Ford C-Max energi don't have as strong a resale value

6. The Tesla Model 3 is aiming for the BMW 3 series , which notably has a diesel AWD variant. Other such cars in the segment include the Mercedes C class 4matic, Audi A4 quattro, Volvo S60 AWD, Lexus ES hybrid (fwd) , Lexus IS (RWD/AWD), Acura TLX AWD. That means it is also up against the hybrids such as the Infiniti Q50S hybrid AWD also which it will destroy through efficiency let alone other metrics ; larger cars such as the Acura RLX hybrid may also lose sales to it. They're not going to put subpar fit & finishes in a car competing against mid-entry-level European sedans & mid-level Japanese luxury cars. Even the 2016 Honda Civic has improved fit & finish.

7. Safety. The Tesla vehicles have been making strides in safety that far exceed GM's. GM's Sonic isn't terribly poor, but compared to what Tesla has achieved it is no contest.

View attachment 107673
View attachment 107674

The Bolt should take away all of Nissan Leaf's market, but as far as vs ICE, why would anyone spend twice as much for a slightly better Yaris?

$35k, check
200 mile check

Those are the minimum specs for an EV for mass market entry. However, for mass market ADOPTION, you need those specs plus an EV that is as good or better overall car than an equally priced ICE. The Bolt is not that.

I just noticed from this picture that the door handles of the Bolt are inside the doors like in they are in Teslas? Is that just photo-gimmick or real? If it's real, does anyone know how the work? I would imagine if they are pop-out like in Model S it would be advertised largely.

I just noticed from this picture that the door handles of the Bolt are inside the doors like in they are in Teslas? Is that just photo-gimmick or real? If it's real, does anyone know how the work? I would imagine if they are pop-out like in Model S it would be advertised largely.

That's not a picture of the production version. That's a picture of the concept.

That's not a picture of the production version. That's a picture of the concept.
Yes, prod version has standard handle much like the Toyota above:

chevrolet_100541559_l.jpg

Yes, prod version has standard handle much like the Toyota above:

chevrolet_100541559_l.jpg

That is in NO WAY a $37K car. If it was $25K or less they'd have a winner. A fully loaded Honda Fit is barely over $20k. If they made an electric Fit (not the joke Fit EV they did a limited run of, but a real 200 mile EV) I could see it being worth $25k. But a Chevy hatchback for $37k?

For those who are worried about Chevy beating Tesla to the table, don't be concerned. As long as Tesla sticks to it's usual design methodology and Franz delivers a beautiful car, they will sell QUITE well. Also remember the incredible charging infrastructure they have been building out for years now, that NO other car company has even BEGUN to try to match in terms of custom design or scale. The BMW i3 and probably the Bolt are/ will be great cars, but they fall short in design and that will affect their sales.

I love Tesla and hate GM, but you are plain wrong on Bolt beauty: it is not ugly.

This is unlike the Prius, which is butt ugly.

The bolt is no different to the top selling ICE cars in the UK. The masses wont find it ugly, just a normal hatchback.

The problem evaluating the Bolt on TMC is that many people here own luxury cars.

The Bolt may not look so good with $2 gas in the U.S. But with $5.50 gas in Europe it should be compelling.

Unfortunately no right hand drive version is being made.

I agree with you that "regular people" where you and I live (NC and TN) may not see the advantages but ones you don't list are: safety, NO DEALERS, service without predation, Less cost (maintenance for me with 60K $0 except tires), less fuel cost even at $1.00 per gallon, tremendous warranty at 8yrs unlimited miles, OTA updates, 24/7 service assistance but biggest is fun to drive. I feel like I am 17 again and drive for the fun of it. My wife asks me to run an errand and I don't come back for 2 hours. Half the time I am telling people about the car. This is ...Priceless.

I agree with you that "regular people" where you and I live (NC and TN) may not see the advantages but ones you don't list are: safety, NO DEALERS, service without predation, Less cost (maintenance for me with 60K $0 except tires), less fuel cost even at $1.00 per gallon, tremendous warranty at 8yrs unlimited miles, OTA updates, 24/7 service assistance but biggest is fun to drive. I feel like I am 17 again and drive for the fun of it. My wife asks me to run an errand and I don't come back for 2 hours. Half the time I am telling people about the car. This is ...Priceless.
You don't have to sell me on the car. If I had the means right now I'd be placing an order tonight. I just know that most people really need convincing that an EV is even feasible, let alone desirable. Low gas has meant more new trucks and large SUVs on the roads here in NC.