Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt makes successful 2,000 mile trip in 16 days. I can do it in 4 with a Model 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Counting supercharging, I think I can do a very chill 500 miles per day.

But they weren't going for speed, they were taking a slow sight-seeing trip:

What I think is remarkable about the trip is that we originally planned it with a gas-powered car in mind, but accomplished it with an electric car without any essential changes or disruptions.

So they would have taken 16 days in an ICE as well. (Or so they claim.)

But they weren't going for speed, they were taking a slow sight-seeing trip:

So they would have taken 16 days in an ICE as well. (Or so they claim.)

Their "sight-seeing" has to be planned around random chargers they find.

Doesn't sound that fun to me.

An EV Cannonball run would be monstrously dreadful in a Bolt. It might take a month later for it to end after the Model 3.

Anyone have stories about a Bolt or Model 3 going from LA to SF for the weekend? I make about 4 trips to SF from LA once a year leaving on Sat morning and returning on Sun morning. I don't think any other EVs can make that trip right now.

I still haven't done it in my Model 3 yet. Not sure how much it'll take compared to a Prius. I can usually do 4.5 hours without stopping. Now, I might have to take a couple of 20-30mim breaks to charge and plan lunch around it. No biggie but my first trip might be scary without any Supercharger experience yet. Just reading stories that they are always full and have lines on the holidays is stopping be from taking my first EV road trip.

Anyone have stories about a Bolt or Model 3 going from LA to SF for the weekend? I make about 4 trips to SF from LA once a year leaving on Sat morning and returning on Sun morning. I don't think any other EVs can make that trip right now.

I still haven't done it in my Model 3 yet. Not sure how much it'll take compared to a Prius. I can usually do 4.5 hours without stopping. Now, I might have to take a couple of 20-30mim breaks to charge and plan lunch around it. No biggie but my first trip might be scary without any Supercharger experience yet. Just reading stories that they are always full and have lines on the holidays is stopping be from taking my first EV road trip.
That route has been significantly upgraded since the days of long lines. You have your choice of many Superchargers, and it should be a relatively easy first trip.

I've done this trip twice and it's super pleasant in the Model 3 with EAP compared to a Prius. It's about 7 hours. You only need to stop once for about 20-40 minutes to charge. You can get there in under 7 hours by driving fast and stopping to charge twice.

Question is: who wants to drive 2000 miles? Tesla absolutely has a huge advantage with the supercharger network, but I would fly to a destination 2000 miles away instead of driving.

I just did a 2400-mile drive in my S and loved it. 4 days of driving and 2 days at destination where I gave a speech at a tech conference. If I’d flown I’d have still had to drive 2.5 hours round trip to/from “home” airport; have to deal with TSA hassles out and back; still would have had to get a rental at “destination” airport located ~50mi from my actual destination; I’d have had to pump gas (!), and lots of other hassles.

By driving my S, I got to catch up on podcasts in the car, experience 117-degree heat in AZ, and also got to (while charging for free!) munch down on Chipotle and In-n-Out meals (yum) neither of which are available back home.

So yeah: Tesla > Air Travel imho :)

2,000 miles … Counting supercharging, I think I can do a very chill 500 miles per day.
I did a 1,600 mile round-trip in an S P85 a few years ago over a weekend (Friday afternoon to Sunday before midnight).

I made an S P85D trip from Bellevue, WA to Las Vegas [1100+ miles], NV in 50 hours once also including an overnight stay for at least 6 hours sleep. (Penn and Teller show was good that night.) So yah, double that seems pretty straightforward in 4 days.

I think some of my other trips have been even more aggressive.

16 days is a lot - only 2 hours driving (@ 62.5mph) per day?

Last edited:
2018 Chevy Bolt EV makes successful 2,000-mile road trip

Hurts reading about it.

Counting supercharging, I think I can do a very chill 500 miles per day.

Most of it conserving personal energy through EAP.

Model 3 owners have it good.
One can make the trip in one day with a plane ticket. Wonder how many plane tickets one can buy using the price difference between the Mod 3 and the Bolt.....lots I think.

Reactions: roguenode