TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Chevy Bolt makes successful 2,000 mile trip in 16 days. I can do it in 4 with a Model 3.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by MXWing, Aug 21, 2018.

1. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

• Like x 13
  2. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Member

I did a 2500 mile road trip and my only preparation was a Diet Coke and plugging the end point into the GPS.

It will be years before another company makes this as seamless as Tesla’s solution.

• Like x 10
    • Love x 7
    • Funny x 3
  3. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

Someone recently biked a 4,300 mile route across the country in 16 days 20 hours 41 minutes. Not impressed.

• Funny x 25
    • Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  4. ezevphl

ezevphl Member

This sounds so very painful.. it might as well be a Tesla ad.

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

The supercharging network is the greatest edge Tesla has right now. It would take years for another manufacturer to even build out a fraction of what they have.

• Like x 7
  6. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

But they weren't going for speed, they were taking a slow sight-seeing trip:

So they would have taken 16 days in an ICE as well. (Or so they claim.)

• Like x 6
  7. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Their "sight-seeing" has to be planned around random chargers they find.

Doesn't sound that fun to me.

An EV Cannonball run would be monstrously dreadful in a Bolt. It might take a month later for it to end after the Model 3.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. dendenyc

dendenyc Member

With or without shower?

• Funny x 3
  9. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

I wouldn't hold the 20 days spent on the trip against the Bolt; it was planned that way for vacation, sight-seeing and visiting relatives.
    This trip is a much better description of the Bolt limitations as a trip car. Summary: it sucks

10. outie

outie Active Member

The article/driver is fully aware that Teslas can complete these trips easily and quickly. It's specifically talking about other EVs having difficulty with it, but can be done.

11. Darren Donovan

Question is: who wants to drive 2000 miles? Tesla absolutely has a huge advantage with the supercharger network, but I would fly to a destination 2000 miles away instead of driving.

12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Somebody on a road trip with multiple stops. Like the family in the article.

• Like x 8
  13. sreams

sreams Member

Well... then I'd like to see someone go for speed so that we have a usable data point. Hint: It won't be nearly as fast as a Model 3 could make the same journey.

14. sperkin

sperkin Member

Anyone have stories about a Bolt or Model 3 going from LA to SF for the weekend? I make about 4 trips to SF from LA once a year leaving on Sat morning and returning on Sun morning. I don't think any other EVs can make that trip right now.

I still haven't done it in my Model 3 yet. Not sure how much it'll take compared to a Prius. I can usually do 4.5 hours without stopping. Now, I might have to take a couple of 20-30mim breaks to charge and plan lunch around it. No biggie but my first trip might be scary without any Supercharger experience yet. Just reading stories that they are always full and have lines on the holidays is stopping be from taking my first EV road trip.

15. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

That route has been significantly upgraded since the days of long lines. You have your choice of many Superchargers, and it should be a relatively easy first trip.

16. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I've done this trip twice and it's super pleasant in the Model 3 with EAP compared to a Prius. It's about 7 hours. You only need to stop once for about 20-40 minutes to charge. You can get there in under 7 hours by driving fast and stopping to charge twice.

17. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

I just did a 2400-mile drive in my S and loved it. 4 days of driving and 2 days at destination where I gave a speech at a tech conference. If I’d flown I’d have still had to drive 2.5 hours round trip to/from “home” airport; have to deal with TSA hassles out and back; still would have had to get a rental at “destination” airport located ~50mi from my actual destination; I’d have had to pump gas (!), and lots of other hassles.

By driving my S, I got to catch up on podcasts in the car, experience 117-degree heat in AZ, and also got to (while charging for free!) munch down on Chipotle and In-n-Out meals (yum) neither of which are available back home.

So yeah: Tesla > Air Travel imho :)

• Like x 3
    • Love x 2
  18. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

2 months ago, I did an emergency unplanned 900 mile trip with my Model 3 in less than one day. (18 hours)

Other than the reason I made the trip in the first place, it was a surprisingly relaxing drive thanks to AutoPilot. From South California to Central Oregon.

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#19 brianman, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    I did a 1,600 mile round-trip in an S P85 a few years ago over a weekend (Friday afternoon to Sunday before midnight).

I made an S P85D trip from Bellevue, WA to Las Vegas [1100+ miles], NV in 50 hours once also including an overnight stay for at least 6 hours sleep. (Penn and Teller show was good that night.) So yah, double that seems pretty straightforward in 4 days.

I think some of my other trips have been even more aggressive.

16 days is a lot - only 2 hours driving (@ 62.5mph) per day?

20. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

One can make the trip in one day with a plane ticket. Wonder how many plane tickets one can buy using the price difference between the Mod 3 and the Bolt.....lots I think.

• Like x 1