Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt makes successful 2,000 mile trip in 16 days. I can do it in 4 with a Model 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 months ago, I did an emergency unplanned 900 mile trip with my Model 3 in less than one day. (18 hours)

Other than the reason I made the trip in the first place, it was a surprisingly relaxing drive thanks to AutoPilot. From South California to Central Oregon.

Can you share your supercharger stop strategy?

Fewer stops, longer charges? Or smaller charges, more frequent stops?

One can make the trip in one day with a plane ticket. Wonder how many plane tickets one can buy using the price difference between the Mod 3 and the Bolt.....lots I think.

How many stops can I request the plane make for the price of the ticket?

I don't think a 500 mile round trip can be done much faster flying than I can drive a Model 3 easily - just one stop.

However, that 500 mile trip would be crippling for a Bolt.

Can you share your supercharger stop strategy?

Fewer stops, longer charges? Or smaller charges, more frequent stops?
A combination of both. This was my first serious long trip with the Model 3, so I experimented to see what was faster.

In some stops, I charged for a short amount of time to get back on the road ASAP (Kettleman, Mt. Shasta). In other stops, I charged a bit longer to avoid having stopping at superchargers I thought may be crowded or too out-of-the-way. (ex: Sacramento, Santa Clarita)

Granted, I also drove like a maniac for this trip, which is probably how I ended up with a broken windshield... but that's unrelated.

How many stops can I request the plane make for the price of the ticket?

I don't think a 500 mile round trip can be done much faster flying than I can drive a Model 3 easily - just one stop.

However, that 500 mile trip would be crippling for a Bolt.
ZERO...thats the point of taking a plane...get to point B as fast as possible. SFO to LAX, BUR, SNA, etc...heck yeah I'll fly.

ZERO...thats the point of taking a plane...get to point B as fast as possible. SFO to LAX, BUR, SNA, etc...heck yeah I'll fly.

You can't count only flight time. Add in the logistics of transportation to and from the airport. You are limited to you can take with you on a plane, and you likely have to secure transportation at your destination. All that time adds up very quickly. Security check in.. arriving early to make sure you get past any issues.

Arrive early.. and then have your plane be delayed.

I'd fly from SNA to SJC/SFO assuming I wanted to deal with all of the above - but

How about LAX to SAN?

126 Miles each way would destroy your will to live in a Bolt. You need two stops at minimum and that's if you want to be under range anxiety and traffic conditions are perfect the whole time. 3-4 stops is to be conservative.

I also refuse to drive slow to hypermill my range. Went to Vegas as a 60D, came back as a 75D. No one has time to drive slow.

You can't count only flight time. Add in the logistics of transportation to and from the airport. You are limited to you can take with you on a plane, and you likely have to secure transportation at your destination. All that time adds up very quickly. Security check in.. arriving early to make sure you get past any issues.

Arrive early.. and then have your plane be delayed.

I'd fly from SNA to SJC/SFO assuming I wanted to deal with all of the above - but

How about LAX to SAN?

126 Miles each way would destroy your will to live in a Bolt. You need two stops at minimum and that's if you want to be under range anxiety and traffic conditions are perfect the whole time. 3-4 stops is to be conservative.

I also refuse to drive slow to hypermill my range. Went to Vegas as a 60D, came back as a 75D. No one has time to drive slow.
Then the Bolt folks can rent an ICE with the 12k they saved over a Model 3.

The biggest time drags related to flying are waiting for the plane. You leave when the plane is scheduled, not when you want to leave. Then you sit a each intermediate airport.

"Fast" domestic plane travel is mostly an illusion, but I"ll take it over driving > 500 miles one way any time. I dislike long distance driving that much.

Seriously, if the price is not an issue [$49K (75kWh battery) vs $37.5K (60kWh battery], I don't see why people would buy the Bolt EV over Model 3.

1. The Exterior Look (Model 3 wins)
2. Interior (Model 3 wins for simplicity)
3. Supercharging Network (Big win for Model 3 and even bigger win for P3D)
4. Space (Not sure but I bet Model 3 has bigger storage space??)
5. Range (Model 3 wins)
6. Cost (Considering Model 3 has a bigger battery pack, it may be tie??)
7. Wait time (Bolt wins)

It's mind boggling. Even if I have to wait longer, I would rather get a Model 3.

Seriously, if the price is not an issue [$49K (75kWh battery) vs $37.5K (60kWh battery], I don't see why people would buy the Bolt EV over Model 3.

2. Interior (Model 3 wins)
5. Range (Model 3 wins)
7. Wait time (Bolt wins)

It's mind boggling.
For most folks... price is an issue.

Reactions: dhrivnak
This is the exact reason why we choose Tesla in the first place: car is just a tool to transport you from A to B conveniently and comfortably.
Did my last trip of 2800 miles in 7 days, just a breeze:

may_2018_travel_power_sc-2.jpg

2. Interior (Model 3 wins for simplicity)
5. Range (Model 3 wins)
7. Wait time (Bolt wins)

It's mind boggling. Even if I have to wait longer, I would rather get a Model 3.

Oh and I forgot another important one.

8. 0-60 time (Model 3 wins)

• Funny
Reactions: Msjulie
For most folks... price is an issue.

Do it nice or do it twice.

What’s worse than saving or stretching for a superior product is limping in on a known inferior investment.

Model 3 might be more expensive in absolute terms but it’s much cheaper in relative terms.

No one can own a Bolt as their only vehicle but they can with a Model 3.

In any case, it’s easier to let the market speak for itself. Bolts have sold at least 1000 units every month this year. I expect it to fall below 1000 and and not see over 1000 ever again. Would not surprise me if it falls into the 5 or 6 hundreds by year end.

Last edited:
Do it nice or do it twice.

What’s worse than saving or stretching for a superior product is limping in on a known inferior investment.

Model 3 might be more expensive in absolute terms but it’s much cheaper in relative terms.

No one can own a Bolt as their only vehicle but they can with a Model 3.

In any case, it’s easier to let the market speak for itself. Bolts have sold at least 1000 units every month this year. I expect it to fall below 1000 and and not see over 1000 ever again. Would not surprise me if it falls into the 5 or 6 hundreds by year end.
Cuz Chevy stopped building 18's...and they prob won't build that many 19's....but they'll prob sell every one they make. Sure the Bolt or any other non Tesla EV can be their only car...heck lots of folks don't even own cars and they live well....most folks tend to find a way...

Drove LA --> SLC (Park City) in a Model 3LR this summer. Needed to have our mountain bikes there. And, wanted to have a fun car to explore the beautiful countryside. So, decided to drive, not fly, the 700 miles. Ugh.

Much dread. Neither of us like long drives on desert interstates.

Dread unwarranted. Decided to stop every 125-200 miles rather than maxing range between charges. Made 4 stops, rather than the 2 or 3 we'd planned. Quick lunch in Primm. Quick coffee in St. George. Ice cream cone in Beaver. Subway in Nephi.

Each time, the car was ready before we were. Total charging time: Less than two hours. Door-to-door trip time: 12 hours. Pretty much the same as we would have taken in an ICE.

Difference was ... it was downright pleasant. Arrived energetic and chipper.

And, the next morning, my wife woke up, looked at the mountains outside, and asked brightly, "Shall we go for a drive?"

Model S is an amazing road trip car. And, if one can deal with slightly less cavernous luggage capacity, Model 3's faster Supercharging (in terms of range added per minute ... tops out around 8 mpm) makes it even better.

I’ve done a new number of cross country trips in ice cars, stopping as little as possible for fuel or rest stopsand was forced to take what might be called a more reasonable rate. I found in the end it was a less stressful trip mostly due to the rest stop/walking about for a few minutes and getting the blood moving. Didn’t even have EAP in the car fwiw

The super charging network is a game changer I think, at least for now nothing can beat it if you want a road trip san fossil fuels.