Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt makes successful 2,000 mile trip in 16 days. I can do it in 4 with a Model 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Selling the 2014 Model S 60 and not buying the Bolt would have allowed you to get either get a long range Model 3 or you can add some funds for a Model S100D.

By getting the Bolt, you now have TWO subpar EV's by 2018 standards for long distance travel.

This is what I mean by throwing good money after bad. Toss the Bolt asap and get a RWD LR Model 3.

Hmm... when I bought the Bolt I was 181,343rd on the waiting list for a M3. So that didn't happen. Wife decided she wanted a MS, so we got one. In our house we have wife (80miles / day) , me (52 miles/day) and teen daughter (3-20 miles perday). We have a need for three cars and you can bet we don't have the money for 100D new Teslas or an extra 20k above the price of the bolt to throw down on a M3 LR. THe used MS was a financial decision and the Bolt was an availablity decision.
I'm not griping about the range in either EV... Im just saying for a long trip we'll be taking the 2016 civic that's paid off. Both the EVs we have are absolutely wonderful for our day to day and week to week.

Hmm... when I bought the Bolt I was 181,343rd on the waiting list for a M3. So that didn't happen. Wife decided she wanted a MS, so we got one. In our house we have wife (80miles / day) , me (52 miles/day) and teen daughter (3-20 miles perday). We have a need for three cars and you can bet we don't have the money for 100D new Teslas or an extra 20k above the price of the bolt to throw down on a M3 LR. THe used MS was a financial decision and the Bolt was an availablity decision.
I'm not griping about the range in either EV... Im just saying for a long trip we'll be taking the 2016 civic that's paid off. Both the EVs we have are absolutely wonderful for our day to day and week to week.

Before you write off the idea completely, I would check what the arbitrage cost would be at this point to trade the Bolt for the LR and the LR has a full tax credit this year.

2014 MS 60. .... stopping for 50 minutes every 2h15m on a 12 hour trip really gets old... and becomes a 17 hour trip.
Upgrading from P85D to P100D was a dramatic difference for even 800 mile, 2 day trips. Much more of an impact than I expected.

Replacing your 60 to a 100D would be quite a significant change to your experience. And that's before accounting for the upgrades that have happened since 2014.

Selling the 2014 Model S 60 and not buying the Bolt would have allowed you to get either get a long range Model 3 or you can add some funds for a Model S100D.

By getting the Bolt, you now have TWO subpar EV's by 2018 standards for long distance travel.

This is what I mean by throwing good money after bad. Toss the Bolt asap and get a RWD LR Model 3.
Perhaps beating a dead horse but...

"I have a laptop this is almost ok for 1/4 day use. So I added another laptop that gets me 1/6 day use."
vs.
"I had a laptop that is almost ok for 1/4 day use. I replaced it with a laptop that gets me full day use."

The former is kind of absurd.

Perhaps beating a dead horse but...

"I have a laptop this is almost ok for 1/4 day use. So I added another laptop that gets me 1/6 day use."
vs.
"I had a laptop that is almost ok for 1/4 day use. I replaced it with a laptop that gets me full day use."

The former is kind of absurd.

I agree wholly with your sentiment, but not the best analogy. You can haul two laptops with you. Use laptop #1, and then use laptop #2 when #1 dies. You've got 42% of your day covered. :p

An automotive analogy that would describe the situation at hand would be:

For purposes of transporting the family on a road trip:

Scenario: 1
Have one car already that has a 60% inconvenience factor. Buy another car that has a 90% inconvenience factor.

Scenario: 2
Have one car already that has a 60% inconvenience factor. Buy another car that has a 15% inconvenience factor.

2018 Chevy Bolt EV makes successful 2,000-mile road trip

Hurts reading about it.

Counting supercharging, I think I can do a very chill 500 miles per day.

Most of it conserving personal energy through EAP.

Model 3 owners have it good.

Did not hurt a bit when I read the article. It sounds like a great vacation. The whole family enjoyed it, and they spent almost zero extra time charging the car.

The goal was to take a vacation and see the sights, not to set speed records to reach some distant destination.

GSP

Reactions: ai4px
ZERO...thats the point of taking a plane...get to point B as fast as possible. SFO to LAX, BUR, SNA, etc...heck yeah I'll fly.
I'm sure you've had enough responses.

I often take a 500mile each way trip. No stops for gas, 75-80mph, 1 stop for 10 mins to take a leak and get a sandwich for the road. I get there in about 7hrs 15mins (when by myself)
Leave 9am arrive at 4:15.

Airport?
Leave house at 9am
Get to airport 9:45-10am
Check in + security lets say 90 mins on a good weekday morning 11:30am
Board plane at 12:30pm
flight, land, taxi 2 hours 2:30pm
Get bag, deal with rental car 3pm
Drive 45-60mins to destination 4pm

Just not worth the hassle or cost

We have a Bolt and we have a Tesla Model 3 on order. The Bolt is a TERRIFIC car and has been a great purchase.

If you're a multi-car family, not every car needs to be able to do everything. We are such a family, and the fact that the Bolt isn't the right car for long trips has been a non-problem. What we can't have is two Bolts. Then it's limitations ARE a problem. And so, the next car will be the Tesla. The Bolt can continue doing its extremely useful thing extremely well, just as it has been doing, for much less money than the Tesla, and the Tesla can do for the family what the Bolt can't as the need arises.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and brianman
I'm sure you've had enough responses.

I often take a 500mile each way trip. No stops for gas, 75-80mph, 1 stop for 10 mins to take a leak and get a sandwich for the road. I get there in about 7hrs 15mins (when by myself)
Leave 9am arrive at 4:15.

Airport?
Leave house at 9am
Get to airport 9:45-10am
Check in + security lets say 90 mins on a good weekday morning 11:30am
Board plane at 12:30pm
flight, land, taxi 2 hours 2:30pm
Get bag, deal with rental car 3pm
Drive 45-60mins to destination 4pm

Just not worth the hassle or cost
One size doesn't fit all. Use the tool that gets the job done.

We have a Bolt and we have a Tesla Model 3 on order. The Bolt is a TERRIFIC car and has been a great purchase.

If you're a multi-car family, not every car needs to be able to do everything. We are such a family, and the fact that the Bolt isn't the right car for long trips has been a non-problem. What we can't have is two Bolts. Then it's limitations ARE a problem. And so, the next car will be the Tesla. The Bolt can continue doing its extremely useful thing extremely well, just as it has been doing, for much less money than the Tesla, and the Tesla can do for the family what the Bolt can't as the need arises.
As a 2nd car in the household wouldn't the Nissan Leaf be better than the Bolt in term of value?

As a 2nd car in the household wouldn't the Nissan Leaf be better than the Bolt in term of value?
It could work well for many people. I would let each person make their own judgment. We bought the Bolt last year, and the then-current Leaf was too short-ranged to be a comfortable fit for us. Also, the Bolt had a number of features which the Leaf (then) didn't.

We've been crazy-happy with the Bolt. In some ways it is even better than the Tesla: the single pedal driving experience is better in that the Bolt has strong regenerative braking all the way to a stop, while the Tesla's tapers off at low speeds. Also, the Bolt has a bird's eye view when parking that is so boss you wouldn't believe it. And car play is right handy: while I wouldn't claim that Apple's Maps app is better than Tesla's built-in nav (Tesla's battery/supercharger/route planning integration with maps is like a gift from God that has no counterpart with Apple Maps) Apple Map's superior integration with iPhone apps for destination selection is super-convenient and is something that the Tesla nav system lacks.

This is exactly what we do:

LEAF + Model 3
Works great for us, may not work for others.

We paid $47k after tax credits for the two cars, not including TTL or the value of our old cars.
The only way to come close with a Bolt in the family is to own an ICE junker for the second car.