TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Chevy Bolt team must be really pulling their hair out after a today's tweets from Elon!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Quant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Quant

Quant Member

1. AWD with super responsive high performance acceleration, probably under 4 secs 0-60 mph, for under $5K
    2. Spaceship type steering and dash standard
    3. Room for a minimum of 2 child seats, maybe 3 narrow ones like in Europe
    4. Can fit a bike or a surfboard , plus optional towing hitch
    5 Base RWD will be good enough even on ice for traction
    6. More cowbells and whistles not yet divulged

Add to all of the above single beautiful glass Panaromic roof , Supercharger network ....and the list goes on.

Chevy has got to sell their Bolts before Tesla rolls them out and possibly before Part 2 of Model 3 reveal !

It's not any one thing folks, but All of it taken together is just so much that it must scare the daylight a out of MB, BMW, Audi, Toyota, Nissan etc.

• Like x 6
  2. Branzo90D

Branzo90D Salt and Pepper

Unless I am mistaken, GM just dropped their announced price for the Bolt. Likely for exactly the list of reasons you state, as well as several others which may become apparent as we go forward.

• Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  3. voltage

voltage Member

I must have missed the under 4sec quote. Hard to believe <$5k for this level of performance.

• Like x 1
  4. Quant

Quant Member

That's why I said ' probably '. That's what has been rumored for the performance version. Maybe there will be more than one upgrade option ...AWD for under $5 K ( dunno how much maybe like $3,750) and then another option on top of that like Ludicrous mode that takes it to under 4 secs.

Let's remember that Model 3 is and has been designed completely new/from scratch from the bottom up and per JB Straubel shares hardly any common components for manufacturing.

Even other features and actual stats for even base M3 not yet revealed, but I expect 5.4 secs ( even maybe 5.2 secs) for base model on 0-60 mph performance,

5. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

GM dropped the price of Bolt? When did that happen?

6. Quant

Quant Member

Really ! I did not hear that either....I don't think so.

Maybe poster is confused by article that claimed $28,500 price after rebate on Bolt?

7. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

I agree with your general point OP but my guess is the "P" version of the Model 3 with sub-4 sec acceleration will cost considerably more than $5K.

But fear not - I have a "slow" Model S 70D - but it feels ridiculously quick and makes passengers giggle when I stomp on the throttle. You will be very satisfied with the instant torque no matter what Model 3 you buy. :)

• Like x 5
  8. Craig9080

Craig9080 Member

The Bolt is a vastly inferior product. It is the modern day G-Wiz, an abomination of a concept just to check a few boxes. IMHO it couldn't compete at $20K OTD. It just screams "LOOK at MEEEE, I have a BATTERY!" and then it fails in every single catagory compared to the 3

• Like x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. Quant

Quant Member

And add to above list that Ride suspension dynamically adjusts to ride height, STANDARD on M3.

10. yesup

yesup Member

But Bolt has 360 degree surround camera.... and rear view camera + display screen for rear view "mirror"...
    something I wish we have for the Model 3.

• Like x 2
  11. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  12. Quant

Quant Member

I will happily pay more than the $5 K to get under 4 secs 0-60 acceleration if it also includes say AWD. I think even at say $ 7500 for both included.

• Like x 1
  13. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

he was on FIRE today. Keep those reservations coming in!

• Love x 1
  14. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

You may be thinking of the April fools article that said they were dropping the price to $20?

Someone else fell for the beta testing Model 3 April fools joke. There's enough confusion about rumors and speculation already on TMC that we don't need all these April fools confusing people even more.

15. SarahsDad

SarahsDad Member

16. Quant

Quant Member

Did Elon just delete his tweet about a spaceship like steering system ? Maybe he thought he divulged too much, too early and that it might actually confuse people and make them think it would be too geeky and too different ?

17. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

I suspect you're correct, but since neither vehicle is actually out yet, there's really no way to be sure. However, the Bolt is certainly far better than any ICE offering in it's class for one obvious reason ;)

• Dislike x 1
  18. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

I still see it.....

19. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

Please cite a source for this. Link to the tweet?

20. Quant

Quant Member

Sorry see above. I already clarified this ....