Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt team must be really pulling their hair out after a today's tweets from Elon!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i think you'll be looking closer to 20k upgrade for the performance of under 4 sec if that even is an option
still would be agreat buy at 55k

Doubt it would as high as $20 K upgrade....remember there's not 300-500 k reservations for Model S and X combined.

Optimization says the base car half the base of an S at $35 K, so maybe max at $10 K and sell 3 times as many option volume or more.

I still gross profit margin on the upgrade option will still be about 50 PC, due to volume.

Unless I am mistaken, GM just dropped their announced price for the Bolt. Likely for exactly the list of reasons you state, as well as several others which may become apparent as we go forward.

You are mistaken. I think several people are confused because the Chevy Bolt site (2017 Bolt EV: All-Electric Vehicle | Chevrolet) lists the price in large font at "$30K". That $30K price assumes the $7,500 federal tax rebate. The actual starting price of the Chevy Bolt is $37,500, so $2,500 more than the Model 3.

One could argue that Chevy can be confident that $30K will be the effective starting price for all Bolts sold (meaning they know they will sell no where near 200K ;))

Last edited:
He didn't say that the air suspension would be standard...

Dude, in reference to India roads, he said Model 3 would have that. For India I believe it will be in base model.

And so, for us in the USA too...because of some roads in Texas, OK, etc. particularly in the absence of a truck in the current Tesla product line up.... Or maybe just only with the AWD option ?

I don't think this has caused the GM Bolt team any concern.

A) They will get the Bolt to market a full year before the Model 3 and Tesla has a rep for late release dates and slow ramp ups.
B) Different markets. Yes, they are both electric, but the Model 3 is more of a 3 series competitor than a small CUV competitor.
C) The utility of the tiny trunk is vastly different than the more boxy, but utility friendly Bolt.

Now, A) gives them first mover advantage. My personal belief is Tesla will hit their target date although I would certainly understand why some people don't believe that.
B) and C) are what they are. Both cars will appeal to different parts of the market and I believe both will help expand the available market to encompass both companies selling as many as they can make.

Reactions: McRat
Did Elon just delete his tweet about a spaceship like steering system ? Maybe he thought he divulged too much, too early and that it might actually confuse people and make them think it would be too geeky and too different ?

Like a lot of today's interesting information, it was a reply to someone's question/comment - which twitter doesn't show in his feed by default. You need to click that "and replies" button on the feed.

Doubt it would as high as $20 K upgrade....remember there's not 300-500 k reservations for Model S and X combined.

Optimization says the base car half the base of an S at $35 K, so maybe max at $10 K and sell 3 times as many option volume or more.

I still gross profit margin on the upgrade option will still be about 50 PC, due to volume.

So you're thinking the top of the line M3 is going to be under 50k?
I think it's going to be over 60k with the top line options

Dude, in reference to India roads, he said Model 3 would have that. For India I believe it will be in base model.

And so, for us in the USA too...because of some roads in Texas, OK, etc. particularly in the absence of a truck in the current Tesla product line up.... Or maybe just only with the AWD option ?
No. Tesla is a business. They can't go on handing features for no price. In my opinion, Elon was just saying that Model 3 will have air suspension that can change ground clearance. No one will be getting any more than what they paid for.
Also, I don't think P version of Model 3 will have sub 3 second performance. That's Model S territory.

Well....if both of these cars are about $35,000, which one would most people want?
The Tesla will surely come in closer to $45,000 in the first year, but still.....

Bolt vs Model X.jpg

Reactions: rhambus
I dunno...maybe you are right.

BUT, I think as a strategic and military type plan, Elon and Tesla are trying to do many things at once :

1. Gobble up/ suction/ vacuum up max potential EV demand (both current and latent ) in the $35-55K price band, so that Apple and/or Google will be forced to abandon any serious plans to enter this EV space with their own mass manufactured vehicle. So, I think Elon will keep aggressive pricing to fend off new entrants.

2. Trying to bring in as much Space X type technology into Tesla to keep the rate of technological innovation at break neck speed so that traditional ICE manufacturers will be always be trying to catch up and unfortunately remain years behind Tesla.

3. Simultaneously launching such a young company globally with such advanced mass market product.

4. Wow the iPhone type mindset customer into a new era; where we have to rethink what our cars can do, versus what we can do with our cars.

I am reminded of Wayne Gretzsky's famous quote : I am don't skate to where the puck is, but to where the puck is going to be ".

I believe Elon will seriously ( and is seriously going to ) try to move his puck at great speed on many angles on his 4 dimensional chess board for the next decade......and the traditional ICE manufacturers will really be left far behind with aging plants, aging technology, and aging talent .....and they just will be left in such a confused competitive state.

1. AWD with super responsive high performance acceleration, probably under 4 secs 0-60 mph, for under $5K

i think you'll be looking closer to 20k upgrade for the performance of under 4 sec if that even is an option

My guess would be $15k. $4k for the second drive unit, $10k for the bigger battery and the Ludicrous fuse and $1k for the rest (suspension, spoiler, brakes, performance tires).

Still a lot cheaper than a BMW M4.

Last edited:
Up until the last few years, I believe the M3 has generally been quicker than the M5. Assuming Tesla clears a similar profit on the P version 3 series, why shouldn't they make it as fast or faster?
Because it will hurt sales of Model S. People pay $150000 to get that performance. It's the selling point for premium priced versions of S.
If the sales of Model S gets hurt, it will hurt the brand image of Tesla. Brand image played a big role in 275000 reservations for Model 3 in my opinion. I also doubt that PM3 will have comparable margin to P90DS and X. IMHO.

No. Tesla is a business. They can't go on handing features for no price. In my opinion, Elon was just saying that Model 3 will have air suspension that can change ground clearance. No one will be getting any more than what they paid for.
Also, I don't think P version of Model 3 will have sub 3 second performance. That's Model S territory.

Sub 3 sec ? I never said that...all I said was that the rumor was sub 4 sec ( maybe 3.8 sec) on Performance version of the Model 3.

Elon already said today that Model 3 AWD will have faster performance than the sub 6 sec announced for the base model at the reveal, where he even said the base model they are aiming to do better. Elon did say that the AWD option will less than $5 K.

So, IF the base model is say 5.4 secs, then I expect AWD to be close to say 4.6 secs and maybe the Performance version to be closer to 3.9 secs, for example.

But don't worry the Performance version of the S by then will probably be close to mid 2 sec range ???

I don't think they will hold back on PXXDL for the 3. Elon likes fast cars. And those upgrades are profit.

Elon is pretty adamant that the 3 will appeal to some people, while the S will appeal to others. he is not the least bit worried about cannibalizing sales.

Because it will hurt sales of Model S. People pay $150000 to get that performance. It's the selling point for premium priced versions of S.
If the sales of Model S gets hurt, it will hurt the brand image of Tesla. Brand image played a big role in 275000 reservations for Model 3 in my opinion. I also doubt that PM3 will have comparable margin to P90DS and X. IMHO.

Why are you assuming that the S performance will stand still by 2018 ?

It's kinda like the max model of the IPhone 2 vs. original IPhone 4 etc. Did people complain, hey I paid more last year for my model, and this years model has better performance and price than last years model or the one 2 years ago ?

Everything in Tesla's ecosystem ( including superchargers and battery pack density and cost ) will all improve in terms of performance. Tesla will still be able to differentiate products in the product line via size, quality ( all aluminum for example ), paint quality and also many other bells and whistles.

The rising tide of innovation and technology will lift all boats in the Tesla product line up.