Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt team must be really pulling their hair out after a today's tweets from Elon!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must have missed the under 4sec quote. Hard to believe <$5k for this level of performance.
That's because he probably got it from this source before the reveal:

Tesla Model 3 exclusive leaked specs: 0-60 under 4 sec fast and 300+ mile range options (Update: Base 6 sec 0-60 and 215 mile range)

Doubtful it will be under 4s for standard AWD unless they plan on bumping the speed for the S70D. Spec is 5.2s which is software limited. S70D should be able to do close to S85D's 4.2s since they both use the same drive unit for front and rear. When you get into the P category they have a bigger drive unit in the rear.

So if the M3 does let's say 5.9s for RWD, it's not going to be faster than S70D with AWD which I suspect is software limited too. It would be reasonable to speculate that the P version of M3 can be under 4s but won't approach Model S territory. I'm sure at that point Tesla will only make the P version on higher capacity batteries which they haven't announced.

So, IF the base model is say 5.4 secs, then I expect AWD to be close to say 4.6 secs and maybe the Performance version to be closer to 3.9 secs, for example.

But don't worry the Performance version of the S by then will probably be close to mid 2 sec range ???
Model S 70 is 5.5s
Model S 70D is 5.2s

So unless they give a free bump to the neutered S70D, it's not happening. I don't have any doubt that M3 AWD can close to 4.6s it's a matter of will they limit it like the S70D.

• Informative
Reactions: voltage and Lunarx
Model S 70 is 5.5s
Model S 70D is 5.2s

So unless they give a free bump to the neutered S70D, it's not happening. I don't have any doubt that M3 AWD can close to 4.6s it's a matter of will they limit it like the S70D.

Is it confirmed that Tesla intentionally holds back performance?
Are they not just being responsible towards the max discharge rate the battery can safely handle and recover from?
Also, don't the faster accelerating cars have higher current motor controllers and wiring?
Anyone have some facts to share on this?

A lighter Model 3 should have an advantage in acceleration, so it would be disappointing to hear they held back, just to protect an entry level S70 or any other Model S.

I was hoping for 3.5 or better, from the performance model (w/o ludicrous).
That is what we need to keep our favorite brand Chevy from beating us, with their performance models ; )

cowbell sounds when doors are open, or for low speed driving to alert pedestrians? :p

Actually, I want the Jetson's car sound for low-speed driving (or all speeds, for that matter!) And an "oogah" horn setting. :D I'm serious. Seems like Tesla could do a licensing agreement with Time Warner (current owner of Hanna Barbera assets).

Last edited:
Is it confirmed that Tesla intentionally holds back performance?
Are they not just being responsible towards the max discharge rate the battery can safely handle and recover from?
Also, don't the faster accelerating cars have higher current motor controllers and wiring?
Anyone have some facts to share on this?

A lighter Model 3 should have an advantage in acceleration, so it would be disappointing to hear they held back, just to protect an entry level S70 or any other Model S.

I was hoping for 3.5 or better, from the performance model (w/o ludicrous).
That is what we need to keep our favorite brand Chevy from beating us, with their performance models ; )
As indicated in this thread

Pack Swap on 70D to 90kWh HP?

tl;dr 70D to 90D would provide 14% less power than 90D 4.2s performance. I don't know how that number would translate 0-60.

Last edited:
Model S 70 is 5.5s
Model S 70D is 5.2s

The 70 -> 70D upgrade isn't comparable to what you will see on the Model 3. On the Model 3 you will have something like a 250 hp motor at the rear standard, and then you can fit something like a 200 hp motor at the front for AWD. That works out to 450 hp (80% increase).

On the RWD 70, you have a 382 hp motor at the rear, and the upgrade to 70D gives you a 259 hp motor at the front and rear, or 518 hp (35% increase.)

This is of course only talking about motor power, but it still means that the 70/70D isn't relevant.

The 70 -> 70D upgrade isn't comparable to what you will see on the Model 3. On the Model 3 you will have something like a 250 hp motor at the rear standard, and then you can fit something like a 200 hp motor at the front for AWD. That works out to 450 hp (80% increase).

On the RWD 70, you have a 382 hp motor at the rear, and the upgrade to 70D gives you a 259 hp motor at the front and rear, or 518 hp (35% increase.)

This is of course only talking about motor power, but it still means that the 70/70D isn't relevant.
The Model S 70,70D,85,85D,90,90D all use the same drive unit front and rear. It isn't until you delve into P category bigger drive unit comes into play.

If you believe the numbers that Tesla has on their website (which is debatable):
70D and 90D is 259HP front and rear with effective cumulative HP @ 328 and 417, respectively.
P90D 259HP front and 503HP rear effective 463HP and 532HP Ludicrous.

The Model S 70,70D,85,85D,90,90D all use the same drive unit front and rear. It isn't until you delve into P category bigger drive unit comes into play.
Incorrect.

There are two rear motor configs, plus two rear inverters, and it works out this way:

40/60/70/85: high power motor, low power inverter
70D/85D/90D: low power motor, low power inverter
P85/P85D/P90D: high power motor, high power inverter