Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt test mule photographed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... but I assume the primary gist is that AOL was a proprietary connection service to its own digital world while the Internet used open protocols for any number of digital services for a larger digital multi-world universe.
Not exactly.

It is organized proprietary vs chaotic but open. Another example could be iOS vs Android - where both are doing quite well.

The basic problem with CHAdeMO today is that it is unreliable. Just like many gas stations or websites. But if there is an abundance of them, that builds reliability into the system. If they become ubiquitous - who cares about a handful of superchargers in some special locations ?

Just see the clamor for CHAdeMO adopters from people in the northwest. Even though CHAdeMO is hardly ubiquitous here - but they easily outnumber superchargers. In Japan they are indeed ubiquitous and Tesla has to support CHAdeMO - I don't think many there care about superchargers.

I just recently got my Leaf.

It took me four separate Chademo stations until I found one that worked.

No more needs to be said. Tesla's competitors are weak (extremely slow charging by comparison), disorganized, and flat-out uncaring, plus they already are duelling with each other between CCS and chademo standards.

Ok - but there are two Tesla Connectors, one the U.S./Canada/Japan and one for everywhere else. We have two competing standards, CHAdeMO and CCS that are not level 3 and are currently limited to 200 amps. They have to be redesigned to handle real level 3 power levels to support a world with mass adoption of BEVs. So right now, there isn't an Internet equivalent in the EVSE space. Today and for some time yet, Tesla's Superchargers are cheaper per plug to install, have a superior business model, have a superior use model, and has superior technical specifications. It is likely going to be impossible to make money on DC charging in the aggregate and so there isn't a business model for it right now. Even if you could sort out that aspect, the actual products you can buy are due to be obsolete in the short term. There is also a possibility that when everyone finally sits down to revise CCS, they settle on Tesla's connector. And if they didn't, Tesla would just build in the new connector to new vehicles and sell an adapter for existing cars since the electrons are fungible.

^^^^^ couldn't put it better. First mfr to figure it out and partner with Tesla wins big. Wonder if they could lock up, say, a 3 year exclusive deal...

Not exactly.

It is organized proprietary vs chaotic but open. Another example could be iOS vs Android - where both are doing quite well.

The basic problem with CHAdeMO today is that it is unreliable. Just like many gas stations or websites. But if there is an abundance of them, that builds reliability into the system. If they become ubiquitous - who cares about a handful of superchargers in some special locations ?

Just see the clamor for CHAdeMO adopters from people in the northwest. Even though CHAdeMO is hardly ubiquitous here - but they easily outnumber superchargers. In Japan they are indeed ubiquitous and Tesla has to support CHAdeMO - I don't think many there care about superchargers.

The current Chademo networks are already out of date and obsolete. Right now, an 80 mile Leaf is as effective as a 200 mile Leaf for the current chademo network for long distance travel. Current leaf recharges to 80% in 20 minutes, next-gen Leaf recharges 80% in about 50 minutes.

This is not true of Tesla whose first-gen network is suitable for travel already. People regularly take frequent 20 minute breaks but they don't take regular 50 minute breaks for 2-3 hours of travel.

So no, Tesla is already way, way ahead of chademo... and by the time chademo finally gets around to upgrading, I wouldn't be surprised to see liquid-cooled gen2 superchargers (already announced and being deployed, very likely can support 160kw+ charging) while chademo struggles with gen II (not announced or being deployed... what are they theoretically up to, only 80 kw that's not deployed?)

Last edited: