Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Equinox the Tesla killer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's going on with Japanese car companies lately? How about the Mazda MX-30? That's just plain odd. 100 miles of range and it uses a rotary engine to run an onboard generator.
Ironically Panasonic is pumping out the batteries for Tesla.
I know! I don't get it. Give the Mazda 3 a 70kwh battery and 240 miles, and I think it'd be a huge hit. ...but they aren't even trying. It's so sad.

I don’t think one company or model is going to “kill” Tesla anytime soon, but the rest of the industry collectively might outsell them the next few years as more varied models are released and production further ramps up.

As good as Teslas numbers are on paper objectively, they don’t and can’t appeal to everybody for a multitude of reasons and therefore their market share only stands to go down as more competition comes out.

They have become so common now in states like CA that Teslas are just boring and that makes less people want to buy one. It used to be like wow cool a Tesla! Now it’s like oh great look at that line of 5 identical Teslas at the stop light.

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
Yeah but if I am to believe the infographic I stumbled upon recently, BYD are losing thousands per car sold. Not financially viable at the moment
Yeah, depends on the goal of the CCP and if they want to prop up unsustainable EVs at all costs. Unfortunately, Biden is doing the same, and all it'll do is widen Tesla's lead since they're the only ones profitable in the first place. Not to mention they'll have the only functional charging network soon.

Reactions: starise
I know! I don't get it. Give the Mazda 3 a 70kwh battery and 240 miles, and I think it'd be a huge hit. ...but they aren't even trying. It's so sad.
Just a wild guess on my part; Mazda cannot make an EV at a cost to them which they can then sell for a profit. In other words, they can't afford to have people buying their electric cars, so they make their EVs unpalatable.

Rich

I have always said the EV market is Tesla’s to lose, therefore, the only real Tesla killer is Tesla itself.

Anyone who is looking for an EV and takes the time to learn about Tesla’s customer service will probably look elsewhere. Heck, a lot of existing Tesla owners are starting to look elsewhere as well. What a shame that the company with the best EV by far is run by a man who does not care about his customers.

Tesla made a bunch of new customers in Jan 23' and alienated others when they dropped the prices. I am convinced a lot of the vitriol is more for this reason. Service seems to be hit and miss with some centers getting high marks while others are dismal.

I mean, if a person liked the car in 2022 and was none the wiser, they would still like the car in 2023. This tells me it isn't really the car that's the issue.

If more realistic prices had been set in 2022, the 23' reductions would have looked less painful to 2022 buyers. The cars were really overpriced in 22'. Raising prices to find a ceiling where the cars continue to move is I guess, just constructive capitalism. Apparently lots of people still wanted Teslas in 22' at those prices which further fanned those flames.

I remember getting pinched in a similar way when I bought a Toyoya one week before they offered a 3000 dollar reduction in price. There was no way they were going to give me that 3K. It would be even more unsettling to see 13K go right out the window. I eventually got over it and would buy the right Toyota again, but it took awhile to get over it. I don't think Tesla has ever had a reduction similar to the Jan 23' one. Most people can live with a few thousand fluctuation and chaulk it up to inflation. 13K is a little more pronounced and might have well peeved a large segment of repeat buyers.

It's hard to say how it's all going to pan out. Tesla lost some but gained many more.

I'll never understand why people would feel "alienated" or slighted by lowered prices. Everyone wants a bargain, but no one wants to see prices lowered. You have to pick one. No one forced anyone to buy a Tesla so there's no reason to be angry. Be happy you have something you wanted at a price you were willing to pay, and be happy that more people can do the same now.

Yeah but if I am to believe the infographic I stumbled upon recently, BYD are losing thousands per car sold. Not financially viable at the moment

Yeah, depends on the goal of the CCP and if they want to prop up unsustainable EVs at all costs. Unfortunately, Biden is doing the same, and all it'll do is widen Tesla's lead since they're the only ones profitable in the first place. Not to mention they'll have the only functional charging network soon.
Interesting article about the issue of relative EV margins. Tesla has a BIG lead.

Yeah... I also feel that a lot of people don't "do their homework" like many of us did. Then at the same time we have to realize that as EVs move to mainstream adoption, we cannot expect people to do as much digging as I (typical geek) did. It needs to be obvious, self-explanatory, simple.
What sorts of things are you observing that you would attribute to lack of homework?

My hunch is a lot of it is mainly charger or range related.

It will be interesting to see how the competition tries to make it look like they have the best products and what that schtick looks like coming to the consumer.

Yes, there is a lot of range and charging-related lack of information. There is misunderstanding of units and quantities involved (kW, kWh, volts and amps). Misunderstanding of EPA tests and the effects of various variables on consumption. Misunderstanding of in-car navigation aids and what you can control manually. Misunderstanding of how to best treat your battery, without going crazy with that.

Some things can be fixed by the hardware (more efficiency, bigger battery, ...), some ca nbe fixed by software (information, better navigation planning), some will require education (ad and informational campaigns etc), some will be fixed by having ubiquitous fast charging that's reliable... etc...

Yes, there is a lot of range and charging-related lack of information. There is misunderstanding of units and quantities involved (kW, kWh, volts and amps). Misunderstanding of EPA tests and the effects of various variables on consumption. Misunderstanding of in-car navigation aids and what you can control manually. Misunderstanding of how to best treat your battery, without going crazy with that.

Some things can be fixed by the hardware (more efficiency, bigger battery, ...), some ca nbe fixed by software (information, better navigation planning), some will require education (ad and informational campaigns etc), some will be fixed by having ubiquitous fast charging that's reliable... etc...
I'll admit I'm a newb, however I have been driving an electric car at work for awhile now. I was also heavily involved in electronics, so I understand how some of these things work. This is why I think some of the terminology is confusing when discussing EVs and charging.

In most of the equipment I worked with amerage was the main way we determined power consumption. Wattage is the main measure for EV charging. Wattage is more a measure of power use/dissipation. A 100 watt light bulb uses 100 watts as soon as it is turned on. A stereo system with 100 watts of power is more a measure of power expended and not any indication of unit quality since there is class A and B amplifiers. So if a charger is 150kw we are expending that much power potential in exchange for whatever voltage/amperage is determined on the power consumption end. This can be a variable number, but usually the maximum amperage is stamped on the plate and a maximum wattage is suggested on the output. The efficiency of the car is in no way indicated in charger wattage statements.

It would be like saying a gas pump can pump 1 gallon every 10 seconds. This does not tell us how much gas our car can take in 10 seconds or how much gas it can hold, or how far our car will go on a gallon of gas. Gasoline was easier to measure because we could look at and understand a physical gallon of gasoline., so undertandably we will probably have some growing pains with new EV users. Such variation in both individual EV charging capability so far as ability to charge is concerned, and a car's ability to take in that amount.

The kW, kWh rating of chargers only tells us about the charger. It's up to us to understand our cars.

Out of curiosity I was looking at the Blazer EV's owner's manual and noted that it has the option of switching between ACC and dumb cruise. (Press and hold the Cruise Cancel button).

Because I'd prefer to have dumb cruise always available to avoid the sensor dependency and probably make my wife happier*, and because the new HyunKias are ACC only it's good for our consideration of the Equinox EV.

* She doesn't like people varying their speed, so doesn't like that ACC will copy people varying their speed.

Out of curiosity I was looking at the Blazer EV's owner's manual and noted that it has the option of switching between ACC and dumb cruise. (Press and hold the Cruise Cancel button).

Because I'd prefer to have dumb cruise always available to avoid the sensor dependency and probably make my wife happier*, and because the new HyunKias are ACC only it's good for our consideration of the Equinox EV.

* She doesn't like people varying their speed, so doesn't like that ACC will copy people varying their speed.

And now forget it. Too big. 190" L x 75" W x 65" H. 7" longer than the current Equinox gasoline model.
Oh well, come on Boltium!

I have always said the EV market is Tesla’s to lose, therefore, the only real Tesla killer is Tesla itself.

Anyone who is looking for an EV and takes the time to learn about Tesla’s customer service will probably look elsewhere. Heck, a lot of existing Tesla owners are starting to look elsewhere as well. What a shame that the company with the best EV by far is run by a man who does not care about his customers.
Compared to who though? I'm tired of dealers saying "If we can't replicate the problem we can't fix it" We had a problem with the VTC actuator on our old Honda Accord on a cold start, I went as far as making a video showing the problem. The dealer just went back to ""If we can't replicate the problem we can't fix it" For Tesla, the service tech will just pull up the log via a SC or remotely or have a Tesla Ranger come over and it's a done deal. My experience with Tesla has surpassed the customer service from legacy auto manufacturers.

Reactions: chinney
I have noticed a lot of ignorance on the part of many new buyers, so it will be interesting to see how this pans out.
On a side note, on our old 2017 Mazda CX9 I remember going out of town and I wanted the local Mazda dealership to look at an issue we were having.Their response when I requested to have them take a look "Did you purchase your vehicle from us? If not, I'm going to have to charge you" .