TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Chevy has a new ad that is aimed at Tesla (indirectly)....

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rekoh, Oct 20, 2014.

1. rekoh

rekoh Member

2. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Am I wrong in thinking the Audi A3 also has 4G??????

3. amzng_ev

amzng_ev Member

In the wording of the ad they specifically mention Trucks and Crossovers. I believe Audi has had 4G in the A7 for a couple of years. Tesla and Audi won't be able to compete because neither have a truck. Careful wording by Chevy...

4. R²B

R²B All Star

They also specifically mention cars. Unless you're implying they're the only company to bring 4G to a car, a truck AND a crossover...

5. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

If it does, unless it also acts as wifi hotspot, then the Chevy adverstisement will still as the one and only. I see this as no big deal. I doubt Chevy is giving it away for free. I'd rather take Tesla's free 3G than pay for Chevy's 4G. Also, anyone can get a portable 4G LTE hotspot. In the States, I use T-Moblie and get 5gb of LTE for $30 month. I bet Chevy charges a lot more than that.

6. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

OnStar with 4G LTE | Wi-Fi Hotspot | OnStar.com

You get 3 months or 3 GB (whichever comes first) for free with the vehicle. After that you pay. Standalone plans are indeed more expensive that you mention there (equivalent is $50 for 5gb/month). Though apparently if you have AT&T you can add the vehicle to your existing plan for $10. So I guess it depends.

For what it's worth I agree. I'll take 4 years of 3G and Slacker over the 4G. Yeah the browser is slower, but I'd rather have the slacker and the maps.

7. sbronle1

sbronle1 Member

As I understand the deal, the 3G is for life and Slacker is not. Renewable at 6 months? Or am I wrong on this? My maps have been updated twice in the 5 months I have had ownership of the Model S. Now have an App also connecting to my phone calendar which I live by. No complaints on my end.

8. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

3g is only for 4 years. Slacker is the same. Who knows what will happen in 4 years.

9. KdotB

KdotB Member

Doubt it's aimed at us. If it is, it's not very well done. Notice the use of a separate tablet for pulling up a map...no built in awesome giant screen. 3G is just fine for now. Tesla 1, Chevy -20

10. invisik

invisik Member

Buick has it too via Onstar... Caddy probably too.

Exactly, their 4G is mainly for connecting the laptop or tablet back seat folks want to use. The nav and stuff is still way behind.

-m

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Personally I am a huge fan of OnStar having had it for quite a few years in my GM vehicles.

It seems to me that Tesla already has the makings of it's own "OnStar" system with 3G built in to the cars. I've hear reports of Model S owners being called right after an accident by Tesla to see if they're okay. I would be willing to pay 20 or 30 bucks a month if Tesla were to offer a formal suite of OnStar-like services for their cars.

12. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

Does this even matter? I can't stand seeing these types of commercials where they single out a specific ability, touting they have the greatest and most updated car. Is this still an ICE? Yes, yes it is. So it's still outdated to me.

13. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Really? Does it do something beyond what OnStar's site claims? Because we get everything they advertise for free with our included connectivity package (first 4 years of ownership). This is OnStar's list of features:

Automatic Crash Response
    Emergency Services
    Stolen Vehicle Assistance
    Roadside Assistance
    Remote Services
    Turn-by-Turn Navigation
    Hands-Free Calling
    RemoteLink Mobile App
    Vehicle Diagnostics

The only one of these we don't explicitly already have is Stolen Vehicle Assistance, and even then I'd suspect Tesla would be interested in helping an owner recover a stolen car. Either way, that feature would certainly not be worth an additional $30 a month to me.

14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

What I like about it is that it does it all with it's built-in connectivity (including voice calls). I'm not sure if Tesla is actively monitoring every crash or whether it is just hit-and-miss (pardon the pun). The OnStar service will attempt to call you through the car's built-in system (good if you don't have a cell phone or if it is broken or out of reach after a crash) and then will send first responders.

And that's what I meant by Tesla has the makings of a similar system and a potential business opportunity. They could add voice calling and sell "minutes" like OnStar does as well. It seems like they have most, if not all of the hardware in place to do this.

15. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Why would this be aimed at Tesla? There are so many other things to a Model S than internet connectivity.

16. green1

green1 Active Member

Do we actually have Automatic Crash Response? sure they often phone you to see if everything is ok, but do they formally do it enough that you can rely on it? if they don't get you, do they then call emergency services on your behalf? This hasn't been well communicated if it is in fact the case. That and stolen vehicle assistance are the 2 most touted features of on-star, and Tesla doesn't officially do either...

That said, this ad is a joke, I love the tablet with map, how archaic!

17. Tupelo

Tupelo Member

Perhaps, but it almost certainly works better for navigation than does the system Tesla has included in our cars. My Model S nav system compares very poorly to the functionality that my Chevy Volt had.

18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The navigation in my S is far, far better than what was available in my last four cars: 2009 Porsche Cayman, 2008 Prius, 2011 Mini Cooper, and 1959 Porsche 356A ;-)

But WAZE on my iPhone is better than any of them, and that is what I use in my Roadster.

19. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Sadly, I have to agree. The system in my old CTS was a lot better. Hopefully Tesla can up their game over time with updates.

20. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

I don't see that as being consistent with Tesla's approach. Tesla is all about bundling or getting people to pay up front and then working to fulfill at low cost as a competitive advantage. Handling small transactions, account management and staffing just makes things more expensive overall.