Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Volt dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me this news is sad...but not unexpected. I drove a Volt for 5 years and now my son drives it. It has proven to be everything Chevy promised it would be. Reliable, efficient (for its time), fun to drive. It has served my family well and while not perfect by any means, has been the best car I have ever owned before I got my Model 3. That said, I always looked at the car, even from the very earliest days, as a transition vehicle. At the time I bought the car there was no other electric vehicle on the market even remotely in my price range that offered what the Volt did. (I could never afford a Model S or X.) With its unique drive train I could travel on full electric power for the first 40 miles or so which easily encompassed my daily needs, unlike a Prius (which I also owned for a time) which was always burning some gas. The industry has evolved over the time I have owned my Volt however and there are now more affordable all electric options out there...in Chevy's case, the Bolt and of course the Model 3 as well as others. I never thought Chevy would keep both the Volt and Bolt in production. One is the logical evolution of the other. I think the Volt held an important place in the electric evolution of the industry and for that I am glad I bought one when I did. That said, I couldn't be happier with my Model 3 and can't wait to see how the electric revolution evolves over the next 5-10 years.

Dan

I sold my Volt to get the last bit of cash to justify ordering my MS. I admit it; there are still things I miss about that car.
Of course there was no range anxiety whatsoever. Now, on occasional trips, I sometimes have to be conscious of where superchargers are and plan accordingly. Range Anxiety is too strong of a characterization, but it's something I didn't experience with the Volt.
I thought of my Volt as "trusty". I think of my MS as "oh, I hope it won't develop a problem". This is mostly because getting my Volt serviced was not a terrible inconvenience. Getting my MS an annual checkup and repairing the yellow-fringe was a 6hr drive each way and required a long weekend investment.

I completely agree that the Volt was a transition vehicle for me. Other than old, used farm beaters, I doubt I'll buy an ICE vehicle ever again.

RIP Volt, you were loved.

I loved my 2011 and 2014 Chevy Volts, and I am saddened by GM's decision to stop offering them. The 2019 model even fixed my two biggest gripes: the slow 3.3 kW charger and ERDTT (engine running due to temperature).

While a pure EV is a better car, IF there is an adequate fast charging network, I think it is way too early to stop building PHEVs like the Volt, which can drive fully electric on a daily basis. Not everyone is ready to go full EV, even if it would work perfectly for them. They need a transition car. More importantly, the fast charging networks for non-Tesla's are not complete, nor expanding fast enough to handle an expanding fleet. Even Tesla's Kettleman City, CA 40-stall Supercharger was full this Thanksgiving Day.

The Honda Clarity PHEV, Mitsubishi Outlander, and the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid are still available, but I hope GM revisits their decision on the Volt. The market needs more of these cars to choose from in 2019, not less.

GSP

Last edited:
I wonder if Elon put even a small thought into acquiring the Volt and the factory most relevant to its build process? Why not buy the "gateway" car that put many of us onto Tesla vehicles?
My guess would be because the Volt is now outdated technology that has been surpassed by pure electrics. Now, purchasing the factory is an interesting proposition since GM is closing the Hamtramck factory that built the Volt.

Dan

Volt still outselling the Bolt, and I'm sure the dealerships would much rather sell the Volt, so this is a bit puzzling. Looking at the numbers the Bolt did kind of steal the Volt's market share. But kudos to GM for taking the long view here and freeing up resources to focus more on future pure EV's (and of course lucrative Pickups/SUVs to fund everything during the transition).

The Volt can't compete with the Clarity PHEV head to head much less with a $7,500 disadvantage.

I see GM taking a siesta in the USA until all the major legacy OEMs reach their 200k Federal Credit limit or the law changes to include GM in the tax credit architecture.

GM is going to sell the absolute minimum Bolts necessary to get needed CARB credits, sell some in Canada in provinces like Quebec that also have a CARB like requirement and rebate, plus sell a significant some in South Korea which also has incentives and Bolt is a hot seller.

And of course GM will sell EVs in China where the penalties for not doing so are draconian.

Several have posted my experience with a 2012 Volt. Second best car I ever owned (S85 being the best). Over the five years of Volt ownership my mileage was 93 mpg, and that included several unanticipated trips from SoCal to the Bay Area to deal with aging parents. Removing those trips from the equation gave me 125+ mpg. An impressive transition vehicle.

However, I got to the point where I got pissed off every time I heard the ICE kick on to charge the battery pack. Then, Tesla lease returns got somewhat affordable, and, well, I couldn't resist it any longer.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
The Volt can't compete with the Clarity PHEV head to head much less with a $7,500 disadvantage.

On paper, you’re right.

But the looks and refinement of the Clarity leave quite a bit to be desired. It is quite possibly the ugliest vehicle for sale today.

The Volt is at least inoffensive, is tuned rather nicely and is a more comfortable car than the Model 3 (but not the Clarity).

RIP Volt

We have a 2013 Volt that we just paid off and it isn't going anywhere anytime soon... Battery still does very well and it fits perfectly with my wife usage pattern. Given the current state of Tesla and the constant buggy software in my X, I wouldn't even think of trading the Volt for anything Tesla has to offer currently. With any luck someone with some integrity will buy Tesla and restore confidence in the brand...

Jeff

I sold my Volt to get the last bit of cash to justify ordering my MS. I admit it; there are still things I miss about that car.
Of course there was no range anxiety whatsoever. Now, on occasional trips, I sometimes have to be conscious of where superchargers are and plan accordingly. Range Anxiety is too strong of a characterization, but it's something I didn't experience with the Volt.
I thought of my Volt as "trusty". I think of my MS as "oh, I hope it won't develop a problem". This is mostly because getting my Volt serviced was not a terrible inconvenience. Getting my MS an annual checkup and repairing the yellow-fringe was a 6hr drive each way and required a long weekend investment.

I completely agree that the Volt was a transition vehicle for me. Other than old, used farm beaters, I doubt I'll buy an ICE vehicle ever again.

RIP Volt, you were loved.
Your 6 hour drive to get it fixed will be a thing of the past as a Service Center will be coming to Rochester, stay tuned.

My 2017 Volt was is unreliable in cold weather that goes just above freezing to below freezing. I get phantom Check Engine Lights and reduced propulsion messages. Won't go forward in drive. All this randomly. GM already changed the Battery control module and the Shifter. Still getting stranded. Fed up. Only 30,000 miles. Trading it in for M3. Good riddance.

I tried to talk the neighbors kid(my best friends kid) into NOT buying the 2019 camaro and look at a used volt or even bolt but he would not have it. At 21 he took on a $5-600 a month payment and $160 a month insurance plus his $1500 studio apt rent. I hope he doesn't lose his 2 jobs!!!

I tried to talk the neighbors kid(my best friends kid) into NOT buying the 2019 camaro and look at a used volt or even bolt but he would not have it. At 21 he took on a $5-600 a month payment and $160 a month insurance plus his $1500 studio apt rent. I hope he doesn't lose his 2 jobs!!!
You forgot to opportunistically add the fuel costs of a Camaro V6 or worse V8 to the great ownership experience in an EV forum