TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Chevy Volt May Use NIMH Battery

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Jeff, Mar 15, 2008.

1. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

#2 stopcrazypp, Mar 15, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
    "K&K Die has won a contract with Orion Township-based business Cobasys to produce metal stampings that would be used to make energy storage systems for hybrid vehicles. Cobasys has patented a nickel metal hydride, which is a technology used for hybrid batteries, and the work by K&K Die would contribute to the system for housing the batteries."

"Energy storage systems made from the metal stampings at K&K Die, located on Enterprise Drive, will be used to support approximately 25,000 Chevrolet Volts, (Sterling Heights Economic Development Manager Luke) Bonner said."

I think it's bad wording. I think the metal stampings will be used as housing for BOTH the Nimh batteries for hybrids and the li-ion ESS for the Volt. It doesn't say specifically the Volt will use Nimh batteries, just that Cobasys will use the metal stamping for the ESS. Cobasys makes both nimh batteries for hybrids and also a lithium battery for the Volt.

2. DDB

DDB Member

I agree, bad wording. The Volt will be Li-ion I'd bet.

3. BrianMRolfe

BrianMRolfe Member

So is "Energy Storage System" now an industry accepted term for "battery"?

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

5. domenick

domenick Nerd

I've heard EESU used as well in relation to EEstor. Electrical energy... it's a little more specific.