Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cheyenne, WY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whoa, I jumped the gun here. I'll check with Control Central on 'doable route' vs 'official route'.

I did discover that HawthorneCA SC is only ~3 miles due east from El Segundo Beach. But on the East Coast WashDC is 124 miles west of Rehoboth Beach, DE so doable in an MS85 with a bit of care. 'Coast to Coast' is a valid concept.

Someone mentioned that CranberryPA SC is not needed since an MS85 can make it to Somerset SC without assistance. Likewise I can't comment on HagerstownPA.

Moab is not needed since Blanding > Grand Jctn is only 174 miles via UT128 shortcut. But how does one get from the Coast to Blanding? (Rhetorical question, don't answer).
--

My point, that I have made elsewhere, is that for a truly useful and fun Supercharger Network, you need to be able to drive without having to worry efficiency and should not have to charge beyond 80% (slow and boring). That being said, I drove Grand Junction to Blanding on Wednesday via UT128. I did have to charge for 1:15 at a pretty boring mall, then drove on I-70 at 65 mph when the speed limit was 75. Luckily, with the price of diesel, I was in a group of semi's going the same speed for efficiency. On the bright side, I had forgotten how beautiful UT128 into Moab is; I drove it during sunset, and red rock was amazing!

- - - Updated - - -

While it may not be the true Golden Spike, Cheyenne is, to those of us on the Front Range, our Get Out Of Jail Free card. I exchanged phone numbers with the lead electrician at Cheyenne yesterday. He promised to send a text when the Supercharger goes live. We shall see; it ought to happen Monday, but it's out of Tesla's hands at this point. If it does go live on Monday, wycolo, I'll meet you there on Tuesday, as well as anyone else who wants to make the jaunt.

Could not agree more. Hopefully, Tuesday will be a day to meet for a Cheyenne charge and lunch and discuss what metal is appropriate. :wink:

Breaking news: Cheyenne is operational, according to the electrical contractor's supervisor on site. The Tesla Supercharger page hasn't made it official, but I plan to drive up tomorrow morning to try it out. Cottonwood, Wycolo: are you game (bring the dogs)? Anyone else want to be a part of this auspicious occasion? The weather is supposed to be good; I propose we meet at the Cheyenne SC around 11:00am, then have lunch nearby.

Last edited:

Yes, and it is on the map and on the list at the Tesla Motors Supercharger Page.

BIG, BIG Moment for us mountain states MS drivers! Now connected from Arizona to Ohio with only one baby, hypermile hop over Moab (coming soon)

- - - Updated - - -

Breaking news: Cheyenne is operational, according to the electrical contractor's supervisor on site. The Tesla Supercharger page hasn't made it official, but I plan to drive up tomorrow morning to try it out. Cottonwood, Wycolo: are you game (bring the dogs)? Anyone else want to be a part of this auspicious occasion? The weather is supposed to be good; I propose we meet at the Cheyenne SC around 11:00am, then have lunch nearby.

Sounds great! I have a busy afternoon tomorrow; I might show up a little early, be out of your way, say hello and head back south after a little MS photo op and shmooze. After a 1,000 mile loop around the 4-corners last week, I may challenge WyColo for dirtiest MS. :wink:

EVTripPlanner says it will take 64.2 kWh to travel the 167 miles from the Cheyenne SC to the Silverthorne SC, at the speed limit with no headwind at 30 F. If you drive faster, if there's a headwind, or if it's colder it will take more power. That's a long stretch between Superchargers and some big elevation increases. Sounds like it might not be do-able in a 60. Has anyone tried it yet?

The reverse trip from Silverthorne to Cheyenne takes 54.8 kWh according to EVTripPlanner. It's less because of the elevation drop.

fyi. Idaho Springs BeauJoes pizza just popped in a double Chargepoint station in the parking lot out back. Running 24A at 235v, 29mph and free. I plugged in during a breakfast yesterday, and put on 10KwH. It's a good location to extend that stretch on I-70. I go up to Grand Lake and Rocky Mtn National Park often for the day, and in the winter I think otherwise I'd be cutting close on the round trip back to South Denver. There are several great eating choices right there, too. More than at the Silverthorne outlets...

TM mentions the free public charge station at 2200 Westland Rd, Cheyenne which is just off Missile Dr close to I80/I25 and US30/Lincolnway. Perfect if you roll down into Cheyenne on fumes, unable to make it to the SC. It might be at Nissan/GM or maybe Ford dealer; need to check this out.

Slipdrive's find in Idaho Springs is good news and a reason to stop there if only to support a pizza joint that sponsors a charger. Maybe a business in Winter Park or Granby will pick up on this concept. Would make Berthoud Pass a more viable option for EVs.

See everyone today at Cheyenne SC!! Sorry Cottonwood, had to hose down my MS's dusty butt to be legal on I-80. Couldn't tell if there was even a license plate on the car.
--

The Cheyenne Test Party was great fun what with the warm weather and the good beef at 5Guys. Oddly, no one said: "Who's up for Lusk!!" :biggrin:

We missed being The Golden Spike by just two days; TM declared Kingman AZ to be the Keystone Opening completing the Coast to Coast SC system.
--

Last edited:
Finally went up to Cheyenne yesterday morning, picking up a friend in Loveland. Bucking headwinds and uphill on the backroad US85, made it to SC#1 with only 10 miles. Little close on that. Great little diner 2 blocks south and east, open 24/7. Everything was perfect at the SC. Ramped right up to 120kw, and filled the tank in 50 minutes during breakfast. Next time up there it will be a stop at the Depot Museum and Brewpub downtown.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 323
Looks like a great caravan! Yes, certainly it will snow there....like tonight. The wind often levels it off, though. ha. Little awkward, but if a plow just shaved close to the outer edge, one could back up and get the charge port right on the pedestal. I imagine they did this layout due to the tree and lightpost.

Glad to see Cheyenne is getting a little love from the 'locals'. Wyoming's not exactly a hotbed of Model S sales...

I talked to a member of the Superchargers team at the Hawthorne send-off party last night. When I mentioned getting the first owner charge at Cheyenne he volunteered that they are well aware that the pedestal spacing and placement there are problematic. He did not say what they are planning to do about it.

BTW, there's a new pedestal design being rolled out: Hawthorne had them installed in time for the party. They're a little more substantial and have a lighted "Tesla" logotype across the top.