Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cheyenne, WY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad to see Cheyenne is getting a little love from the 'locals'. Wyoming's not exactly a hotbed of Model S sales...

I talked to a member of the Superchargers team at the Hawthorne send-off party last night. When I mentioned getting the first owner charge at Cheyenne he volunteered that they are well aware that the pedestal spacing and placement there are problematic. He did not say what they are planning to do about it.

BTW, there's a new pedestal design being rolled out: Hawthorne had them installed in time for the party. They're a little more substantial and have a lighted "Tesla" logotype across the top.

Yeah, I saw those larger lighted pedestals. They look way better than the 'budget' ones we're getting in the middle of the country. I just don't know how "new" they are. They have been in the picture on the supercharger page for a while, and we just got the pedestals in Cheyenne this month.

Snow was non-issue yesterday at Cheyenne SC but bring your shovel just in case. Began charging with 26 miles, grabbed a burrito at Chipos, wolfed it down, fed the pooch and by then it was approaching 225 miles. . . You have entered The Magical Kingdom . .

CheyenneSC-11feb2014.jpg

--

Snow was non-issue yesterday at Cheyenne SC but bring your shovel just in case. Began charging with 26 miles, grabbed a burrito at Chipos, wolfed it down, fed the pooch and by then it was approaching 225 miles. . . You have entered The Magical Kingdom . .

Interesting...It looks like there was a small amount of snow in the last storm that the plow people did not bother to plow from the Supercharger Stalls. There also appears to be a small snow berm in front of the adjacent 2A stall. That could be much more interesting with a bigger snowstorm...

The plow guys did a good job of taking the snow elsewhere as there was a 4 ft high pile to the west. Looks like they angled the blade to pull snow away from the arches as they came down the avenue, And they stayed out of Teslaville which is a good thing. Absolute worst case you could simply park on the avenue and the plug would reach.

Took a meter reading: 11Feb2014.4pm: 7617 (I assume KWHs). That's a lot of charges assuming the meter started at 0000. If average charge is 60 kwh that would be 126 visits.
--

126 doesn't seem too outrageous a number of charge sessions for three weeks of use, wycolo; that's six sessions a day, on average. They installed the meter on January 20th, too bad none of us thought to check the reading on the 21st when we were there for the first owner charges.

126 doesn't seem too outrageous a number of charge sessions for three weeks of use, wycolo; that's six sessions a day, on average. They installed the meter on January 20th, too bad none of us thought to check the reading on the 21st when we were there for the first owner charges.

Two other issues:

1. Because of net metering and not wanting 9947 and such readings, they often start these meters at some intermediate point like 5000.
  2. These meters usually use Current Transformers (CT's) with some multiplier like 40, 50, etc. The multiplier is usually on a sticker in small print near the meter.

Just need to take a few readings with dates and look for a multiplier sticker.

From latest the Supercharger Dashboard Picture Tesla Supercharger network - Page 401, 7,617 kWh in 30 days would have put Cheyenne in the board and it is not there (Silverthorne did not make that 6kWh cut!). Also, it appears that the global average Supercharge gulp is 30 something kW-hr per charge from the charge histogram.

Called Black Hills Electric and they advise this meter did start at 0000. Their first reading is much lower than the current reading so this supports being started at 0000. They advise most likely a 'drive-by' auto reading meter. Their next reading s/b over 10k thus on the SC page.

They have two accounts for TM, this one and the SC in Rapid City. Lusk must therefore belong to RM Power or whoever. Nice to know this SC is getting a decent amount of use. And new data to record before and after each charge session.
--

Yeah, they should know by Idaho Springs if making the tunnel is a risk. It's 22 uphill miles, but at some point with these issues, it's up to the pilot....

Smokin Yards BBQ is great there too!

EVTripPlanner says 53 rated miles to cover those 35 road miles at 1.1x the speed limit on a 20˚F. day for an 85 with 19's from Beau Jo's to the Silverthorne Supercharter. 60-65 rated miles might be a good threshold in all but the worst weather for grabbing pizza with a side of kW-hrs or not. Remember that you need a few more rated miles to make it out of the Eisenhower Tunnel than you need to make it to Silverthorne... :wink:

Note to others that are not as big on planning ahead:

The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is not in Cheyenne, Wyoming...

It is in Colorado Springs. But Cheyenne is at least nice to drive around a little while. Do please research your destination on your home internets beforehand, and don't wait to internet it in the car's internet when you're only a few miles from what you think is the destination...

- - - Updated - - -

Note to others that are not as big on planning ahead:

The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is not in Cheyenne, Wyoming...

It is in Colorado Springs. But Cheyenne is at least nice to drive around a little while. Do please research your destination on your home internets beforehand, and don't wait to internet it in the car's internet when you're only a few miles from what you think is the destination...

I stopped at the Cheyenne SC on Sunday, April 20. It took us awhile to find the SC's because they were surrounded by large RV's. Apparently some store was (is?) holding a big RV sale, and dozens and dozens of RV's were surrounding the SC's. They left a small path for me to enter the RV encampment to charge. We were there at 6:30am so no one was there to discuss it. I assume this was a temporary "sales event", but I don't know.

• Funny
Reactions: Ulmo