Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

chg_f081 error but still charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You've got to be realistic about what the purpose of the service centers are. They are a space to get cars in and then quickly back out on the road. Swapping components is the way to do that. They don't want to allocate workbench space and manpower at service center locations to taking apart and rebuilding components. They don't want every service center to be factory space. That's something to be done somewhere else.
well....it sounds a common issue so they should have on hand items needed...i mean how long to swap out a fuse vs replacing the whole unit...and refurb unit at that...i mean why not a new unit..it my new unit laster 2017 to 2023...a refurn may last less..lol

well....it sounds a common issue so they should have on hand items needed
They do---the new whole charging units.
.i mean how long to swap out a fuse vs replacing the whole unit
A lot longer, because it is not just the final step. The time for repairing it also includes disassembling the unit, taking out all of the charging circuit boards, testing each one to find which one has failed, then diagnosing what the problem is with that one, finding out what parts they need for the repair, doing the repair, reassembly, etc. etc. What it needs may not always be just a fuse replacement either.

They do---the new whole charging units.

A lot longer, because it is not just the final step. The time for repairing it also includes disassembling the unit, taking out all of the charging circuit boards, testing each one to find which one has failed, then diagnosing what the problem is with that one, finding out what parts they need for the repair, doing the repair, reassembly, etc. etc. What it needs may not always be just a fuse replacement either.
i understand...i am just gonna bite the bullet and have tesla replace it. i mean if you own a 50-90k car you should be able to afford 3k repairs..lol

so update.....that oarange triangle error is not coming up anymore when i plug in at home,,,,i will test again tonite but it seems to have gone away so i am postponing my appt thursday to get the onboard charger replaced...i mean tesla wont really tell me what diagnostic was or said or give me a copy...so its odd to me....Why would the error go away when i plug in and its charging fine.

talked To service manage i know at tesla and now he says his guy says its a cable issue? so go figure...the gen 2 cble i cracked out when my gen 1 wouldnt charge is a new cable from tesla i bought 2 yrs ago and keep in the car....so now will see if they will exchange my nema mobile gen 2 charging cable and if it makes the orange triangle go away.lol....its still charging at full amps at home

Can’t be cable for me as I have same issue on all public and tesla destination chargers also.
This error code is confirmed to be an onboard charger issue.
Definitely the onboard charger in your case. The pauses/errors at 24 amp intervals are a dead giveaway.

Question: does it charge successfully/steadily if you limit the amps to 23? 47?

Reactions: Zeeshan Javaid
I am in Canada and technicians here are dumb. My understanding is that Tesla changes whole box. They cannot take out 1 module. After charging us for full onboard charger, they take the faulty one back to factory and replaces the faulty module in it to sell it again as refurbished part. They make double money like this and thats their business model.

I am in Canada and technicians here are dumb. My understanding is that Tesla changes whole box. They cannot take out 1 module. After charging us for full onboard charger, they take the faulty one back to factory and replaces the faulty module in it to sell it again as refurbished part. They make double money like this and thats their business model.
Technically, if you ask for the module, they should give it back to you. It's yours, you paid for it when you bought the car and they should give it to you. On YouTube, a guy opened the on-board charger and it was a $20 fuse to replace....

I have an end of 2016 model S 75 D. Tesla solar panels. Tesla home charger in the garage, which used to charge at about 36mls/hr. For a while now, the max charge speed I get is 16mls/hr and recently it started to give me an error, "chg_f083", and the message "unable to charge. Disconnect cable and retry". But with all the messages and error, it still charges. It doesn't seem to have a problem when I am charging at the supercharger. I scheduled an appointment, Tesla did a remote check and send me an estimate to replace the on-board charger for $2200 plus labor, total 3k. I know, expensive car, you can afford, blabla. But by now I replaced the louvers(air conditioning would stop) for some 3k, door handles for about 300/piece, steering wheel knobs (twice!!) for some $350/piece and so on. ALL is unacceptable for a 7 years old car. Never had this many troubles with any bmw I owned... Anyway. Going Wednesday for the appt with Tesla. Will see...

Reactions: Zeeshan Javaid
I have an end of 2016 model S 75 D. Tesla solar panels. Tesla home charger in the garage, which used to charge at about 36mls/hr. For a while now, the max charge speed I get is 16mls/hr and recently it started to give me an error, "chg_f083", and the message "unable to charge. Disconnect cable and retry". But with all the messages and error, it still charges. It doesn't seem to have a problem when I am charging at the supercharger. I scheduled an appointment, Tesla did a remote check and send me an estimate to replace the on-board charger for $2200 plus labor, total 3k. I know, expensive car, you can afford, blabla. But by now I replaced the louvers(air conditioning would stop) for some 3k, door handles for about 300/piece, steering wheel knobs (twice!!) for some $350/piece and so on. ALL is unacceptable for a 7 years old car. Never had this many troubles with any bmw I owned... Anyway. Going Wednesday for the appt with Tesla. Will see...
Good luck but it is onboard charger issue like mine. I suggest you to not change it as long as car is charging as there are 2-3 modules in it and 1 fails but others still work and charge car. When all fails then it will stop level 2 charging but supercharger will still keep on working. Then you can spend money and change the inboard charge.

Good luck but it is onboard charger issue like mine. I suggest you to not change it as long as car is charging as there are 2-3 modules in it and 1 fails but others still work and charge car. When all fails then it will stop level 2 charging but supercharger will still keep on working. Then you can spend money and change the inboard charge.
OK, thx for the advice, I guess I will wait. So far, I can live with 15mls/hr charging, so... Did you replace yours after all? How many hrs of labors they quote you on your estimate?