Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago Auto Show - February 8-17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Curt Renz

Mar 5, 2013
USA
Eyes of car buyers and investors are currently on the Detroit Auto Show. However, the nation's largest and longest running is the Chicago Auto Show which will occur February 8-17: The Nation's Largest Auto Show | Chicago Auto Show 2014

Chicago's WGN-TV is a national superstation which broadcasts the auto show every year. This year's broadcast will be on February 8 during 6-7 pm CST with a repeat on February 9 at 10:30-11:30 pm.

However, the list of electric carmakers participating does not currently include Tesla Motors: Electric Cars - Vehicles on Display | Chicago Auto Show 2014

I certainly hope that Tesla decides to participate. Perhaps the timing interferes with their earnings report conference call. The show is hugely attended and is broadcast nationwide. I would think that Tesla would value the publicity.

Last edited:
Eyes of car buyers and investors are currently on the Detroit Auto Show. However, the nation's largest and longest running is the Chicago Auto Show which will occur February 8-17: The Nation's Largest Auto Show | Chicago Auto Show 2014

Chicago's WGN-TV is a national superstation which broadcasts the auto show every year. This year's broadcast will be on February 8 during 6-7 pm CST with a repeat on February 9 at 10:30-11:30 pm.

However, the list of electric carmakers participating does not currently include Tesla Motors: Electric Cars - Vehicles on Display | Chicago Auto Show 2014

I certainly hope that Tesla decides to participate. Perhaps the timing interferes with their earnings report conference call. The show is hugely attended and is broadcast nationwide. I would think that Tesla would value the publicity.
Sadly Tesla has traditionally only gone to Frankfurt and Detroit. Probably not going.

Yep. The Toronto International Auto Show is now quite huge and Tesla will once again be a no-show there. There will be an owner's Model S at the booth of an NGO electric vehicle advocacy group, so at least there's that...

Yeah, Tesla apparently doesn't really believe in the shows. They'd rather spend the money building mall stores, which have far greater traffic.

I think the EV section will be pretty small this year.

Tesla's absence may be attributed to the group which actually puts on the auto shows. For example here in St. Louis the local dealers association presents our auto show which leads me to believe that because of the ongoing conflict between NADA and Tesla, that may be the factor precluding their participation. But that is just supposition on my part. (For what it's worth, it looks like CATA - Chicago Automobile Trade Association Home Page | Cata
- puts on the Chicago show).

Of course there are other avenues into a show as mentioned above by local owners' participation with non-dealer/maker groups. A few of us owners here in St. Louis will be part of the EcoCity portion of the St. Louis Auto Show.

Yep. The Toronto International Auto Show is now quite huge and Tesla will once again be a no-show there. There will be an owner's Model S at the booth of an NGO electric vehicle advocacy group, so at least there's that...

Tesla has stores around both Toronto and Chicago, not sure a presence as part of the automaker crowd at these auto shows is worth the cost. The buzz at Detroit is different in that its where automakers reveal new cars and concepts, and the hype leading up to this year's was due to Franz mentioning they wanted to debut the Model E there next year.

Yeah, Tesla apparently doesn't really believe in the shows. They'd rather spend the money building mall stores, which have far greater traffic.

I think the EV section will be pretty small this year.

that is almost exactly what a fairly high level Tesla employee told me over the summer after a presentation he made. there's stores in all these cities with these shows.