Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago Condo 240V outlet installation cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Model 3 owner here. I received 2 quotes to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage here in 60610 - Old Town, Chicago. Both quotes were approximately $1,000 each.

I live in a newer construction 3 unit condo building built in 2015. At first I needed to consider the use of a charge controller like the DCC-9 from Thermolec for home charging since my panel is located 3 stories up in my residence. However, I convinced the condo board members to allow me to charge from the 120V outlet in the garage which runs to the building's common meter/panel. The building is metered separately from each owner's panel and it only uses interior and exterior lights on a photocell. The building's electric bill is about the same every month, so I am paying any amount over an agreed monthly average price. I've been charging on a 120V 15amp outlet for a couple of months and it can't keep up with my commute. And with the cold Chicago winter approaching I suspect 120V/15A charging is not going to cut it.

The building's electrical panel is located inside in a common area hallway just on the other side of our interior garage and my assigned parking spot. Separated by split-face concrete block wall. So a masonry drill is needed to run the wire to the new outlet. One of the electricians said he would just drill a hole behind the building's panel through the wall and attach a 14-50 outlet in a new box on the other side which is conveniently on the same wall as my assigned parking spot, so I will not need any long conduit runs to my M3.

Is $1,000 for this work typical for the area?

$1000 isn't bad if you look at it in a larger context. I rent a house in Michigan that was built in the 1920's. To get a NEMA 14-50 into my garage requires running a bunch of higher capacity wire, upgrading the breaker, etc, and will be more than $1000 due to all the stuff involved.

I charge at work so I haven't bothered getting one installed but to me $1000 for an installation that involves more than just a plug is not bad at all.

New Model 3 owner here. I received 2 quotes to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage here in 60610 - Old Town, Chicago. Both quotes were approximately $1,000 each.

I live in a newer construction 3 unit condo building built in 2015. At first I needed to consider the use of a charge controller like the DCC-9 from Thermolec for home charging since my panel is located 3 stories up in my residence. However, I convinced the condo board members to allow me to charge from the 120V outlet in the garage which runs to the building's common meter/panel. The building is metered separately from each owner's panel and it only uses interior and exterior lights on a photocell. The building's electric bill is about the same every month, so I am paying any amount over an agreed monthly average price. I've been charging on a 120V 15amp outlet for a couple of months and it can't keep up with my commute. And with the cold Chicago winter approaching I suspect 120V/15A charging is not going to cut it.

The building's electrical panel is located inside in a common area hallway just on the other side of our interior garage and my assigned parking spot. Separated by split-face concrete block wall. So a masonry drill is needed to run the wire to the new outlet. One of the electricians said he would just drill a hole behind the building's panel through the wall and attach a 14-50 outlet in a new box on the other side which is conveniently on the same wall as my assigned parking spot, so I will not need any long conduit runs to my M3.

Is $1,000 for this work typical for the area?

Hi, did you end up getting it installed? I recently moved into a condo in 60610 area as well and my building electrician initially quoted a 2K for common charging point and then said we cannot do it. I am looking for other alternatives.