Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago Condo Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lancelac

2010 Roadster Sport #690
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
I am looking to get as much information as I can regarding individuals negotiating getting charging in condo garages. I have a Roadster myself, and for me it was not a huge problem (a bit of an expense) as I was part of a pretty small Condo association, but I know that many people have had much more difficulty (or it's been impossible). I am a real estate broker, and I really want to get as much info as I can for my clients down the road. It's an important issue, and one that holds back a prospective purchaser of electric cars. If you have anything to share, I'd like to know:

1) What buildings already have infrastructure in place

2) Experience in particular buildings about how easy/difficult it was to get charging made available, and the costs

3) Anything else you think relevant to the issues at hand

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

1) What buildings already have infrastructure in place

There is no general infrastructure per se, but I had a 14-50 outlet run to my parking spot, hooked up to the general building circuit. I have a power meter where I manually read the power consumed on an irregular basis, and then calculate what I think I owe based on past building electric rates, and then I have the management company add it to by account. The management company is Forth Group.

2) Experience in particular buildings about how easy/difficult it was to get charging made available, and the costs

Just requested board approval to run the line. I paid all electrician costs for the install.