TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Chicago Hotel/Charging Options

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by benfrank3, May 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. benfrank3

benfrank3 Member

Hello, I am planning a trip to downtown Chicago. My forum searches haven't revealed the information I am looking for. Does anyone here have any suggestions for an ideal hotel to stay at that has onsite Tesla charging? I would prefer a reliable option. Are there any hotels that cater to Model S owners?
    Thanks,
    Frank

2. Father Bill

Father Bill Member

3. Wojski

Wojski Member

PlugShare is your best bet.

We have a good amount of traditional EV chargers around the city, mostly in parking garages.

I have yet to hear of Chicago hotel participating in the Tesla Destination Charging program.

4. Dbitter1

Dbitter1 Journeyman Member

Native Chicagoan here,

Although Plugshare has a respectable amount of information, it is far from inclusive. To answer your question, I don't know of any hotels that have a HPWC, although statistically most hotels use a shared garage, and nearly ALL the garages are lit up with a L2 charger or two. Anecdotally, they are usually filled with a Volt or Prius or something else that isn't really a full ICEing, but enough to annoy a 100% EV that really needs it.

So... to help out: First, remember the Tesla showroom at Grand Ave has a BUNCH of HPWCs outside for their vehicles, although I've never tried them. They are very welcoming, and I'm sure they'd let you stay there for a few hours. Also, if you look very carefully at the supercharge.info site, you will notice there are two secret supercharger slots there. They are often busy, but a very short trip outside downtown that can get you filled quickly. We also have superchargers on the interstates in all directions out of town.

The easiest third party network is Chargepoint... they have plans with no monthly charges and more expensive (read: emergency) L2 hourly options; EVGO is another that has I think 2 CHAdeMO options outside of a few additional Nissan dealers if you have one of those adapters.

Long story short, look around... there are plenty of options. We are a Tesla friendly state. :biggrin:

5. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Hi Frank,

From the Tesla Find Us web page:

Four Points Sheraton 2-HPWCs

Park Hyatt Chicago 1-HPWC

These hotel locations are already programmed in your Model S navigation system. Go to the "Places" tab then select the "Destination Chargers" tab.

Larry

6. thx1139

thx1139 Member

Chicagoan here. Sometimes my wife and I stay downtown overnight and we like to stay at the Kinzie Hotel. http://www.reservations.com/hotel/kinzie-hotel

It is more of a boutique style hotel. Has complimentary breakfast (setup on each floor) and has a happy hour each night where guest get a couple free drinks.

There is a charger in a public garage about 1 block away with several chargers. Checkout chargepoint.net. Also many garages downtown have charging stations so you should be able to find a garage with chargers no more then a couple blocks away from just about any hotel.

7. benfrank3

benfrank3 Member

Thanks guys. Dbitter1 hit the nail on the head, I already called the service center and they are very accommodating (as always!). That solves my problem. I and Larry, I do appreciate the hotel options, those were also what I was looking for, thanks again!!
    Frank

8. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Hi Frank,

No problem. Just press the entry on your touch screen display and your car will take you there. :biggrin:

Larry

9. Neech

Neech Member

I've heard from a Tesla rep that the new Virgin Hotel will have charging but I have not verified it.

10. RAUDIKAL

RAUDIKAL Member

I stay at the Waldof Astroia when I travel to Chicago. The hotel and residences have HPWC available and valet staff is excellent.

11. benfrank3

benfrank3 Member

We had a great trip. Supercharging was flawless but the Mishawaka bay 2 didn't work. Another bay worked fine, however. Downtown, what I ended up doing was driving to the Service Center and charging there... much easier and cheaper than having to deal with charging downtown, FWIW.

12. NomoC8

NomoC8 Member

Update. AC Hotel on Rush has "complimentary" chargers (you pay standard parking fee) . This is a Marriot hotel, and Several of their properties have chargers