Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago land area supercharge stations, soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone knows where to find location of any planned supercharged station in Chicago land (north suburbs)? I have tried to find out from people at the Old Orchard store but they would not say anything because of public company disclosures blah, blah, blah

One of our "TOI" members speculates, suggests, "I heard that one is going in at Lighthouse mall in Michigan City, another on the way to Madison, and a third on the way to Champaign Urbana. I heard this from a Tesla rep, so ..."

Only one is a location though.

SC in Old Orchard?
I just went by OO last week ... saw the 4-5 bay charging station (no where near the store and no directions to it) ... but that's not a SC is it? Looked like a conventional charging I thought. Didn't use it as didn't need it. That's a SuperCharger???

You are right. My error, I assume it was a SC. Can we MS owners use the charging station anyway???

Why not?

Do you mean technically or "allowed"?

But ... here's the odd part ... there appear to be four bays. The very left bay has what I assume to be the test drive car, all wrapped up "in bed", charging away.

There are only two charging stations for the four bays. My car is on the right.

Went to charge it ... and ... well ... the plug is not what I expected! What is that?

Attachments

• 2013-02-24_09-21-42_756.jpg
    2013-02-24_09-21-42_756.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 578
  • 2013-02-24_09-21-07_718.jpg
    2013-02-24_09-21-07_718.jpg
    936.3 KB · Views: 584
  • 2013-02-24_09-20-46_996.jpg
    2013-02-24_09-20-46_996.jpg
    917.6 KB · Views: 584
  • 2013-02-24_09-20-23_74.jpg
    2013-02-24_09-20-23_74.jpg
    841.7 KB · Views: 579
  • 2013-02-24_09-20-16_988.jpg
    2013-02-24_09-20-16_988.jpg
    1,017.8 KB · Views: 587
> and a third on the way to Champaign Urbana. (rumor from TM)

This makes NO sense!

The *main* East - West cross country route is Hannibal, MO > Springfield, IL > Champ/Urbana > and on into Indiana. Maybe not today, where cross country travellers naively allow themselves to be funneled into ChicagoLand 'cause they don't know any better, but more and more into the future this route will become better known and used. X-country traffic needs to avoid Chicago like the plague since flow from Wisc, Minn & Mich already are forced into there.

Chi Town already has enough chargers. SC needed in either Springfield, Decatur, Champ/Urbana or Danville. These are all ~150 miles radius from Chicago. Monticello IL would make a good choice being outside of those cities yet at the heart of traffic flow. It is also half way to St.Louis from Chi. Is this a no-brainer or what?
--

Last edited:
> and a third on the way to Champaign Urbana. (rumor from TM)

This makes NO sense!

The *main* East - West cross country route is Hannibal, MO > Springfield, IL > Champ/Urbana > and on into Indiana. Maybe not today, where cross country travellers naively allow themselves to be funneled into ChicagoLand 'cause they don't know any better, but more and more into the future this route will become better known and used. X-country traffic needs to avoid Chicago like the plague since flow from Wisc, Minn & Mich already are forced into there.

Chi Town already has enough chargers. SC needed in either Springfield, Decatur, Champ/Urbana or Danville. These are all ~150 miles radius from Chicago. Monticello IL would make a good choice being outside of those cities yet at the heart of traffic flow. It is also half way to St.Louis from Chi. Is this a no-brainer or what?
--
Disagree. Chi has several level 2's, (most of which are outside silly places like Walgreens) which are virtually useless to us. Level 3's are incompatible (today) and hard to find one that works c/o 350Green (no comment).

Agree. Bloomington would be a better spot, in way to St. Louis. But you can still get to St.L via Champaign, just not as direct.

But you are full charging at home like any Chicago Tesla owner. You won't need an SC for ~150 miles. So for the first ribbon-cutting IL SC extravaganza why not put it at the EW & NS confluence area. Bloomington not quite as good for EW traffic. Two SCs would do the job nicely - one south or west of Springfield (plenty of open space) and one just east of Urbana near the Fairgrounds. A third down by Cairo would cover both Memphis & Nashville traffic and put Illinois on top shelf center position.
--

Ok folks here's the scoop - while attending an EV function recently, one of the participants works with the State of IL. He noted that the State is in discussions with TM for a Super Charger in Bloomington-Normal. Not sure where, or how long this will take. It was also not anything official (basically idle chat). However, that would make the most sense to me - it gets you from Chicago to St. Louis with a day's drive.

I don't know about y'all, but the Tesla Superchargers can't be rolled-out fast enough for me!

I do agree that superchargers are not being rolled-out fast enough especially for Midwest. I didn't get my MS yet, but hopefully in about a month I will be a proud owner and would like to go to Wisconsin or Indiana and not worry about looking for public slow charge stations.

> would like to go to Wisconsin or Indiana (from Chicago) [zolotoy]

So you would :love: an SC around Madison WI and another, say, around Ft Worth IN, right? After central IL, Muncie IN would be closer to my actual route toward New England with Mansfield OH :love: next. And then Erie PA. Hope TM is reading . . .
--

Can you use the SC in Old Orchard???
Ok, from the horses mouth ... re Old Orchard and Oak Brook.

Now that Bonnie got her laugh and a mate of mine and I went to Oak Brook yesterday ... the answer to "can we charge our S's there" is YES.

We are "allowed" to.

But, not that simple. All the charging spots (2 at each location) ... are Roadster plugs. There is an adapter that they use to plug into Model S. And they are happy, during working hours, to provide us with the adapter.

But ... according to Oak Brook staff, the adapter is not yet for sale.

So, in essence, no. Not if you have to go to the store first, return it; and not when they're closed. Sundays. (Not complaining.) And I do not want to waste their time on my (not) needs when they're busy "selling" new prospects .... priorities!

Definitely an adapter I'll be wanting to buy.