Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago Land Brake Caliper Painting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to know as well. I can do this myself but will have to invest in special jack stands since there is only one mount point per wheel. All that costs quite a bit. This is why it maybe expensive. You need the Jack pads and the Jack Rennstands or 4 X Bottle jacks. Or you hav e to do it one wheel at a time. You can buy the G2 Paint kit from Amazon. I would prefer to have some Tesla shop to do it for me. since Jack stands will damage my garage floor and I will also need wheel wedges so the car does not roll forward. You will have to buy a bunch of stuff even though the Caliper painting itself it simple to do.

Does anyone have any good cheap place recommendation for caliper painting? Chicago Suburbs preferred?
Chicago Auto Pros. I don't specifically know if they do caliper painting but I suspect they do. Worth a call. If they don't do caliper painting they'll probably have a good recommendation.

I've seen some of their videos on YouTube. Subjects like the proper way to wash a car, detailing, PPF, ceramic coatings. They've got a series of videos that test and compare various waxes and coatings.

I have no experience them them, but from the videos I've seen they look like a good shop.

Reactions: ualdriver
Thanks @ualdriver ! I'm in the same boat... crown customs and everywhere seem very backed up. Let me know how it turns out. Also, how backed up is Mr Kustom?

1. Did you have to schedule far out in advance?
2. what was pricing?

Let us know how it turns out! Wishing you the best!

Thanks @ualdriver ! I'm in the same boat... crown customs and everywhere seem very backed up. Let me know how it turns out. Also, how backed up is Mr Kustom?

2. what was pricing?

They were a few weeks out. For red calipers plus a Tesla logo on the calipers it was $495. Keeping my fingers crossed for a quality job. I'll post pics.

Reactions: jdub55

2. what was pricing?

Jdub-

Here are the pics. Overall, I think they did a good job. They called me midway through the job and said that the Tesla decal kits they had allowed for different logos on the front and back calipers. They said the rear calipers weren't big enough for the front caliper decals. Not a big deal to me, but if it is for you, you might want to square that away first. It was $495 including tax +3% credit card fee. It took them 1 1/2 days which they said was because there were layers of prime, paint, and clearcoat and each took a few hours to dry.

Definitely recommend Mr. Kustom just west of Chicago. Really nice guys too. Like all good shops, they're backed up several weeks.

The wheels are the T-Sportline custom wheels, 19" for the winter tires, waiting on the bolt caps from Amazon. I also included a picture of the interior after I converted the brown wood obeche(sp?) which I personally don't like. Those are the matte RPM Tesla carbon fiber overlays. They're not real carbon fiber, but they have the look of it. Supposedly they come off with a little heat from a heat gun. RPM Tesla has crazy slow slipping even if their stuff is in stock. Took like 2 1/2 weeks for my RPM Tesla order to show up.

Attachments

• 20211214_171045.jpg
    20211214_171045.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 220
  • 20211214_171052.jpg
    20211214_171052.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 20211214_171101.jpg
    20211214_171101.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 20211214_171106.jpg
    20211214_171106.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 20211214_185719.jpg
    20211214_185719.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 117
Jdub-

Here are the pics. Overall, I think they did a good job. They called me midway through the job and said that the Tesla decal kits they had allowed for different logos on the front and back calipers. They said the rear calipers weren't big enough for the front caliper decals. Not a big deal to me, but if it is for you, you might want to square that away first. It was $495 including tax +3% credit card fee. It took them 1 1/2 days which they said was because there were layers of prime, paint, and clearcoat and each took a few hours to dry.

Definitely recommend Mr. Kustom just west of Chicago. Really nice guys too. Like all good shops, they're backed up several weeks.

The wheels are the T-Sportline custom wheels, 19" for the winter tires, waiting on the bolt caps from Amazon. I also included a picture of the interior after I converted the brown wood obeche(sp?) which I personally don't like. Those are the matte RPM Tesla carbon fiber overlays. They're not real carbon fiber, but they have the look of it. Supposedly they come off with a little heat from a heat gun. RPM Tesla has crazy slow slipping even if their stuff is in stock. Took like 2 1/2 weeks for my RPM Tesla order to show up.