Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago owners, your opinions please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks a ton for the feedback, for those of you who do snow tires. Did you get an extra set of wheels as well?

Definitely. Makes things so much easier too. There are aftermarket options or you can buy them from Tesla. The Tesla tires are performance winter tires so not the best but probably good for Chicago. The Nokian R2s are a popular serious winter tire.

Another vote for a D

I've driven many vehicles in my life here in Chicago (lived almost all my life here)... and I don't think there would be any way I'd ever consider something that isn't AWD anymore. Life is just too short. There are many more talented drivers than me that could drift through California's pacific coast highway at 90MPH... but unless you are one of them, life will be much easier with AWD. Tesla's is incredible, and combined with air suspension, where you can raise yourself on demand (Chitown alleys, side streets not plowed until 3 days after a storm, etc) it is REALLY nice. You can just relax, and enjoy the fact that you are driving a Tesla. My humble $0.02.

Hi,

Have a P85. Drive it with summer tires and 21 rims in summer and switch to a good set of winter tires and 19 inch rims in winter. I drive in Chicagio and SE Michigan (which get more snow). No problems in winter. Traction control is great. I grew up in winter climates so I know how to drive in snow. If you can drive in winter in philly you will be fine. Chicago is not Utah, Maine or Colorado. We don't get that much snow and it is quite flat, but the city is not so great at removing snow immediately so things can get slushy/slippery.

I am going to take this a different direction just for the sake of putting it out there. I have an 85 rwd and drive it all months of the year. But I don't drive it when it is snowing. I have an Expedition EB for those days. In my life, it is better to have a second car than a second set of wheels or an AWD MS. If I had an 85D, I still wouldn't want to drive it when it is snowing. Not because I think my car would be incapable...but rather because so many other people on the road are incapable.

My situation may be unique...just wanted to throw it out there. I am in WI, also have a boat to tow, and have space to park a fleet of cars. So the extra ownership costs of the full size truck are offset by additional needs. Just wanted to add the option to the discussion.

Hello everyone, I am a potential new Tesla member. I've read many of the blogs and have heard all great things about the model X and Tesla as a whole. I love the idea of not having to ever visit a gas station again. I've owned my current SUV for 10 years and I generally keep my cars for a looooong time. My concern is running into a bunch of issues one my warranty expires. Have anyone experienced costly repairs after your warranty expired?

Just voicing another opinion to get the AWD. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around. I got winter tires this year which pays off with much better traction and less miles on your other set. I do a lot of long range driving on the weekends and while in town the AWD doesn't pay off as much, driving on the interstates with solid traction in the winter is a huge plus.

I plan on getting another set of wheels so I don't have to go thru the remount process twice a year but have other expenses first.