TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Chicago service center and vent exchange

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by kevincwelch, Mar 18, 2013.

1. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Has anyone requested that Chicago service replace your driver's side vent to fix the fogging issue?

Just curious to know who has done this and how it has gone.

I really haven't had any fogging issues in the past month since I've been preheating the cabin, so I will likely wait.

(Still need to replace my front passenger door handle and check the window seals.)

Sent via Tapatalk.

2. outnumbered

outnumbered Member

kevincwelch - How does this fix address the fogging issue? While on a test drive with the car in the Oak Brook store, the Tesla person was constantly adjusting climate control to help try to control the windows from fogging.

3. kevincwelch

I don't know the details, actually. But the drivers side disproportionately gets more fogged up than the passenger side. So, this is either a blower issue or a physical ventilation duct/diffuser issue that they are replacing.

Some of the issue with fogging is related use of recirculated air v. outside air, but there is a physical problem as well.

Sent via Tapatalk.

4. kcveins

kcveins delivery 2/7

I haven't had much of an issue so far, so I figured I would wait and get it fixed once they have a chance to catch their breaths.

Only issue I have is of the windshield crack, but they said it would take 1-2 weeks to get the windshield in, and then they would send someone out to fix it, so that way I wouldn't have to go to the service center in the city.

5. kevincwelch

Sorry about the windshield....one of the few things I am dreading might happen still...that and the 12v death.

I have almost zero problems with fogging, and I suspect that it is due to preheating. So, I will wait as well.

Sent via Tapatalk.

6. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I'm debating requesting that they not change the vent in my car. While I do experience some fogging, I can clear it up by hitting the vent on the pano roof, and I just don't want that ugly vent up front. What I have now looks elegant.

7. kevincwelch

#7 kevincwelch, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
    Ugly vent up front? What does it look like? Pictures?

EDIT: found the thread.

Sent via Tapatalk.

8. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Fogging - Page 17

9. kevincwelch

Was just about to edit my post. :)

I don't think it looks that bad. Not too different from other cars I've owned. But, I will probably wait until next fall before installing it.

Sent via Tapatalk.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Agree, I can live with that if it ends the fogging issue.

11. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

I asked for them to fix the vent/fogging issue before delivery. They politely said no. I got the impression I had to get the MS, determine it fogged and then bring it in.

12. kevincwelch

Indeed. I tried to visualize that area as I sat in my car this morning. It seems as though from my vantage I would not be able to notice the vents too much.

The only drawback of this vent solution is that I will have to stop placing my M&Ms on the dash.

tumblr_lgownf5cRG1qbyfvlo1_500.png

13. PattyChuck

PattyChuck P6703 VIN4080

Don't worry, Kevin. They have a thick candy shell!

14. harry

harry Member

We've had the new grills installed and it made a huge difference. The windshield and driver's window stay completely clear now.

15. kevincwelch

That's good to know.

What HVAC settings were you using before that were known causes of fogging (or lack of defogging) and are you able to use those same settings now?

Sent via Tapatalk.

16. harry

harry Member

kevincwelch -

Actually, prior to the modification it didn't much matter what settings we used, other than punching up the defrost button which, as you know, creates a LOT of noise. We tried directing the airflow only to the windshield by using the A/C pop up controls, and that did most of the windshield but didn't help the driver's window at all. There really wasn't much airflow - or perhaps air pressure -- through those little perforated grills under the windshield.