Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago superchargers all inside parking garages?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Downtown Boston has the same issue. There is a super charger in which the parking costs more than the electricity could ever cost.

But luckily, they have built an urban super charger just south of the city in a free garage.

Tesla should not be paying for your parking in urban areas.

I had EXACTLY the same experience coming home from St. Louis to Chicago! I had the option of stopping in Springfield IL (right off the highway), or Bloomington Normal IL. I picked the later bc it fit my trip better, but it turns out the later was In The City, , several miles off the highway, in a parking deck! No signage, just faith so you drive and drive to the top until you find it. Huge hassle and waste of time. And at least at that time it dod NOT specify that it was not on the highway.
I make that trip every couple of weeks. Springfield SC is right off the highway BUT not on the high running from Chicago to St. Louis. It's about as much of a detour as Bloomington is and Bloomington has better restaurant selection. However, the garage is a pain thankfully the first hour is free. Unless you lose your ticket. Don't ask me how I know but it will cost you $20.

In my region, the superchargers are located primarily on interstate rest areas and convenience store/gas station combos right off the highway. I will usually read reviews of superchargers before I take a trip to determine which ones I should use.

I can see how supercharger locations in a densely populated urban area can be a challenge though.

Reactions: ZAKEEUS
What supercharger has 6 of 8 stalls not working ?

As to this thread, downtown Chicago is just difficult to have superchargers in a free parking area. There is very little free parking in the central parts of the city.

If you pay to park at work downtown anyway, you might be able to find a parking lot with L2 chargers ?

Reactions: jrleyva23
What supercharger has 6 of 8 stalls not working ?

As to this thread, downtown Chicago is just difficult to have superchargers in a free parking area. There is very little free parking in the central parts of the city.

If you pay to park at work downtown anyway, you might be able to find a parking lot with L2 chargers ?

Indeed. Free parking makes no practical sense in any urban core. Even if Elon was to cough up a million bucks to put a SC on an empty corner lot, the spots would be ICE'd over in no time. Even if not ICE'd, they'd fill up with Tesla Taxis.

Owning a BEV in the Big City without the ability to charge at home or at work is always gonna be a huge challenge.

Miami Design District, same thing. Almost ran out of juice trying to find it, only to find it on the **second floor** of the parking garage, no signage, no indication on the GPS that it is in a garage. 4 or 5 slower chargers but better than nothing.

Everyone remain calm in Chicago.
Grand ave and Highland Park SC have Superchargers available.

New city mall has free level 2 and a supercharger. (Free parking validation for 2 hours) (why would you need 2 hours anyway!)

Mariano’s on Boradway free parking and enclosed Superchargers.

Don’t even try to pay for parking downtown to charge. Drive 2/3 miles north and charge for free.

Hit the supercharger for a quick 150 miles in 30 minutes and be on with your day!

“Be smart don’t be a r*****” - Eminem
:)

I thought it was weird they put those Mariano’s chargers in the garages. There’s a Home Depot just west of there w a huge lot. North on Elston there’s a MicroCenter across from Target that has a huge, almost always empty lot.

I’m sure there’s some “deal,” this is Chicago after all ;), but it’s really awkward esp since so many get iced

Reactions: jrleyva23
Target, Home Depot, Costco, Menards, Best Buy, all have huge parking lots.
I just read about this ICEing thing. Is this typically a deliberate f-you to electric car owners or just ignorance?

Unfortunately it's a little bit of both. Sometimes it's honest mistakes, sometimes it's people not being courteous, but there are some places that are very anti-EV and drivers will go out of their way to makes things harder for EV owners.