Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago to Crystal Lake, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, everyone.

My family and I are planning a trip up to Crystal Lake, MI this summer (end of June). It will be the first trip in the Model S. The trip is 310 miles according to Google. We will have 2 adults and 2 young children + luggage. I estimate about 450 pounds of human flesh along with about 100 pounds of luggage. Probably will be running a little AC, but not much.

map1.jpg

Using plugshare.com, this is the charging map that I come up with.

map2.jpg

Kind of slim pickin' from Muskegon up to Crystal Lake. I will likely be able to plug into a 110V at the destination. Has anyone made the trip up the west coast of Michigan for any reason in the Model S yet? Recommendations for charging? And lastly, provided I stop by one of these J1772 chargers, how long to range charge from 150 miles to 265 (generally speaking)?

Kind of slim pickin' from Muskegon up to Crystal Lake. I will likely be able to plug into a 110V at the destination. Has anyone made the trip up the west coast of Michigan for any reason in the Model S yet? Recommendations for charging? And lastly, provided I stop by one of these J1772 chargers, how long to range charge from 150 miles to 265 (generally speaking)?

20-25 miles per hour? http://www.teslamotors.com/it_CH/forum/forums/j1772-adapter-charge-rate

http://www.muskegon-mi.gov/ev-charging-stations/ :

EV Charging Stations

Below is a list of EV Charging Stations in Muskegon Michigan and all are free! If you have an electric car and are looking for a place to charge up and enjoy a fantastic view while waiting, we suggest the Pere Marquette Beach Charging Station; it is on the shores of Lake Michigan accompanied by the longest beach in West Michigan (Item A on the map below)
<snip>
Z3up.jpeg

---

Z3uS.jpeg

Last edited:
Kevin - your best bet is RV parks. There have to be some on the way up the west coast of the lake. In fact, most have 50-amp service (NEMA 14-50) and you'll get close to 30mph of charging if you drive conservatively. Charging is much better than any J1772 can offer. RVParkFinder.com (or a google search) will get you there. Most of the parks won't open until April. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the recommendations.

There seem to be a lot of RV parks and state grounds that offer 30 and 50 amp electrical hookups. I will call for more information.

Should I look into other adapters for some of these sites as well if they don't have 14-50 plugs?

Last edited:
I think the issue is what to do in Holland (if I don't make) or Muskegon. Muskegon looks like the better destination with a few RV and state parks there to charge up on 14-50s. That's about 200 miles from Chicago. Now, my car at home seems to charge only at 20 mph (console says 239V and 39-40amps/40amps). 10 hours to recharge? I would really only need to put on 150 miles to be safe, so maybe 7 hours. A state park would be the better place for the kids...

Thanks for the recommendations.

There seem to be a lot of RV parks and state grounds that offer 30 and 50 amp electrical hookups. I will call for more information.

Should I look into other adapters for some of these sites as well if they don't have 14-50 plugs?

ADAPTERS? The only other plugs at RV parks are 110 volt 15 or 30 amp, which is WAY to slow. Check ahead, call ahead, email ahead, and know which ones have 14-50s. You can't adapt a 30 amp 110 volt because the car will only take 12 amps on 110.

At least that is what I have found. Drove to Canada and back to Napa Valley with RV parks every day. About half of the RV parks I checked did NOT have 220 volt power. Even the 220 volt is separated into two 110 volt legs by the big RVs.

I have found RV park owners happy and interested in helping me get a top up charge for my car for a couple hours.

At least that is what I have found. Drove to Canada and back to Napa Valley with RV parks every day. <snip>
I have found RV park owners happy and interested in helping me get a top up charge for my car for a couple hours.
Really quite curious how these various RV park charged you? Fixed price? Per hour? Did they call someone to figure it out? Aren't all these places use to charging a 24hr overnight parking fee?

ADAPTERS? The only other plugs at RV parks are 110 volt 15 or 30 amp, which is WAY to slow. Check ahead, call ahead, email ahead, and know which ones have 14-50s. You can't adapt a 30 amp 110 volt because the car will only take 12 amps on 110.

I get all that.

What I meant was whether to invest in something like the NEMA UMC adapters offered on the Tesla website.

Either way, it would seem prudent to call ahead.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

When you call RV parks, be sure to verify they have "50 Amp Service." They don't understand voltage, but their 30 A outlets are only 120v. You don't want that, but they are more common than 50 Amp 14-50's.

GSP

Hi,

I was just up to Crystal Mountain Resort for a quick ski. I stayed there overnight and used the charging facilities. The skiing was good and the resort has great food and is charming. There is a place to eat near the chargers. I skied (downhill and cross country)-- but it is an all season resort with golf, mountain biking, an art trail and pool facilities. I did not meet Jim but we spoke on the phone as he was away on business. He is to be commended for his his continuing attempts to work with the Michigan political structure to help insure that Tesla is given a fair chance in Michigan.

Last edited: