Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago to Little Rock and back trip report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

thx1139

Aug 1, 2014
Lemont, IL
As we know this area is not covered by Superchargers past middle/southern Illinois.

To Little Rock from Lemont Illinois.

1. We left Lemont at about 345PM and although we didnt want to we stopped at the Country Club Hills Supercharger and filled all the way back up to 100% charged.
2. Then headed to Effingham IL Supercharger. Likely averaged about 5 under the speed limit and arrived with 14% left. Could have gone the speed limit, but this was first time we went this long of a distance (about 205 miles) without a charge up.
3. After again filling to 100% we headed to Sikeston MO. My wife drove this leg and she has more anxiety so went right at the speed limit and this was her first time trying autopilot. We arrived with 35% to spare. Now the trip got interesting/frustrating/anxiety ridden. With no superchargers until we head back.
4. Stay the night and parked at RV park (Hinton RV Park) next door to hotel to get 100% charge before we left.
5. Headed to Memphis and plugged into a charger in a parking garage and got 24A or about 16 miles per hour. Ended up leaving Memphis with expected range of 161 miles and needing to drive 149 miles. As we just got on I40 the trip computer said we were short 9%. Had called ahead to the Forrest City area for a couple of RV parks in case we needed a stop. We ended up driving 10MPH below the speed limit the first half of the drive pissing off many a driver but arrived with 7% in reserve.

Back home.
1. Left Saturday about 345PM. We had arranged a stop at Grizzly RV park in Blytheville AR. There was a slim chance we could make it all the way to Sikeston, but the weather was to attrocious. Wipers running the whole time and having to defog regularly. So we had to stop at the RV park for 2 hours. Needing to go 77 miles we charged to 97 miles. Still drove pretty darn slow the first half. Sometimes 45 in a 70 limit with the hazards on to make sure, because there is nothing. I mean nothing past Blytheville to get any juice. Arrived with 4% in reserve. It was 1130PM and we again charged at the Hinton RV park in Sikeston.
2. Needing to leave at 700AM because my son needed to be back home by 4PM. So we took a different route because likely didnt have enough juice to get to Effingham (had 230 miles).
3. Drove to St. Charles, MO Supercharger which added 75 miles to the trip, but St Charles closer and from St. Charles to home is easy. Was able to go above the speed limit all the way home.
4. 30 minute charge in St. Charles
5. 60 minute charge in Springfield while we had lunch.
6 Arrived home at 3:45PM

Trip Summary.
Tesla really needs to add a Supercharger near Sikeston. This is right where I55 and I57 converge. I think I have seen maps that show a supercharger planned further north of Sikeston in Cape Girardeau MO. Sikeston is a much better choice.
West Memphis again needs a Supercharger near the convergence of I40 and I55. Finally one near Little Rock.

Still amazes me this route from Chicago to Dallas through Memphis and Little Rock is bare. Hear Champaign Il will get a supercharger soon, so that will be nice so we dont need to 100% charge to get to Effingham and wont need a stop at Country Club Hills (about 20 miles from home) and charge back to 100%.

(snip)

Trip Summary.
Tesla really needs to add a Supercharger near Sikeston. This is right where I55 and I57 converge. I think I have seen maps that show a supercharger planned further north of Sikeston in Cape Girardeau MO. Sikeston is a much better choice.
West Memphis again needs a Supercharger near the convergence of I40 and I55. Finally one near Little Rock.

Still amazes me this route from Chicago to Dallas through Memphis and Little Rock is bare. Hear Champaign Il will get a supercharger soon, so that will be nice so we dont need to 100% charge to get to Effingham and wont need a stop at Country Club Hills (about 20 miles from home) and charge back to 100%.

Agree 100%

I'm not privy to Tesla's buildout strategy, but most of the new superchargers seem to be "fill-ins" in areas with lots of superchargers already.

If I were put in charge (exceedingly unlikely) I would prioritize expanding the network from the existing edges.

Sikeston is an obvious spot, as you point out. It is also within range of three existing superchargers which would make it hugely useful to anybody within range of Sikeston who is otherwise trapped in the great Supercharger desert. Memphis alone has an MSA of about 1.2 million people.

The Jackson, MS "coming soon" is huge for us in Memphis, because it opens up the gulf coast and I-10. I would personally prefer Meridian and Tupelo, MS first, but I suspect my personal preferences are a pretty low priority for tesla.

Little Rock starts to open up the I-40 corridor, and an SC near the southeast corner of the loop around Memphis would be within range of Nashville (Brentwood), Little Rock, Sikeston, and Jackson. Putting a SC in West Memphis near the 40/55 junction looks good, but is probably out of range for Jackson, MS or Nashville.

Plugshare shows three Nissan dealers with CHAdeMO chargers in Memphis, two of which have entries from Tesla owners that have successfully charged there. You might consider getting the CHAdeMO adapter for this trip in the future.

The CHAdeMO adapter is very useful and since the price has come down, we feel it's been a great investment. I very much agree with this advice.