Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago trip advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a Chicagoan and a Malnatis guy, but really enjoy this thread. Question -- heading from Chicago to Cincy in the cold with 4 people in my 3. Planning to Nav on AP and stay around 70 MPH, running the aero rims and tires at 45 PSI. As soon as we get to Cincy, we have to then go down to Lexington, KY (where there is a charger).

My questions is this -- does anyone know if the firmware gives you charging options on Model 3? I have an AWD LR version. I understand on the X and S the car will let you know estimated battery remaining if you use one supercharger or wait for the next one. It's our first trip and I want to play it safe, but also not stop every 60 miles to charge if I don't have to. Ideas and suggestions appreciated.
The nav will add SC stops automatically. Go ahead and try it now to see what it will pick! (Check your nav settings too, you can have it avoid tolls and ferries!)

Reactions: Smoofv
I'm a Chicagoan and a Malnatis guy, but really enjoy this thread. Question -- heading from Chicago to Cincy in the cold with 4 people in my 3. Planning to Nav on AP and stay around 70 MPH, running the aero rims and tires at 45 PSI. As soon as we get to Cincy, we have to then go down to Lexington, KY (where there is a charger).

My questions is this -- does anyone know if the firmware gives you charging options on Model 3? I have an AWD LR version. I understand on the X and S the car will let you know estimated battery remaining if you use one supercharger or wait for the next one. It's our first trip and I want to play it safe, but also not stop every 60 miles to charge if I don't have to. Ideas and suggestions appreciated.
Not to worry. It will be an easy trip, even if it's cold so long as you stay to 70 mph or so you'll be fine. A charging stop at Lafayette will do it. There are several places there open 24 hours so you'll be able to have a quick meal or just hang out. I've been on that route numerous times, mostly leaving from Libertyville and going to south of Cincinnati. I most did it in a P85DL, traveling quite a bit faster.

Reactions: Smoofv

ABetterRoutePlanner.com. You can adjust all the settings (be sure to open up the second, "more settings" subpanel to really play around) so that it will give you a more realistic expectation of your charging needs on a given trip, including weather and individualized car behavior. But if you over or under budgeted for charging via the trip planner, the car will still tell you everything you need to know. So, you can change plans on the fly.

Reactions: emorog and Smoofv