Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago winter wheels for my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test fitted a whole bunch of wheels for upcoming winter. My Tesla is a daily driver for my wife and will be driven through a Chicago winter. I didn't want to try and find 21" winter tires for the OEM P85+ wheels...they are too expensive, and the wheels are temporary. Seeing that I'll probably will be selling them in the winter or early in Spring, it didn't seem worthwhile for me to order snow tires for them.

I test fitted a few GM wheels, BMW wheels, and some others. I ended up with some BMW 20" wheels from a 6-series; let me know what you think (I know the tires are wrong size for the Tesla; they will be replaced with appropriate sized winter/all season tires. Also, I may end up using 10 to 15mm spacers for the rear and 10mm spacers for the front to push the wheels and tires out to make for better visual fitment.

I reposted this for locals in case anyone is interested in finding a winter set of wheels for their Tesla cars. The person I purchased these from has a slew of BMW wheels off of new dealership cars that have been upgraded with wheels. I told him that I'd help spread the word to Tesla owners that may be in the same situation as me. Let me know if you're interested in getting his contact info and/or seeing other pictures of other wheels I test fit on the car before selecting these.

1399289_10152002221893413_1604007592_o.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a set that I didn't buy:

1276457_10152002223828413_1148718140_o.jpg

Offsets and width of these wheels are bit 'weaker' than I wanted, but still can be made to work with wider tires and 15mm or larger spacers.

I just mounted the BMW winter wheels back on the car today. Yes, the BMW center caps are 'off'....actually, they have been covered with carbon fiber look vinyl. 5, 6, 7, and 8 series OEM wheels fit decent. Rear offsets are a little high depending on width of the wheels; but nothing that a 5 to 10mm spacer can't/won't fix.

1, 3, and 4 series BMWs bolt pattern fits, however, offsets are too high and widths are too narrow.

I don't know what offsets and width of the wheels on your 5 series in the picture, but I'm willing to bet that those wheels will fit....the rears maybe a little too narrow (just eyeballing it) for the Tesla rear. If you can share the width and offset, I can tell you for sure though. If they fit more sunk-in, spacers can help push them out to get a wider rear track and more of an aggressive/sporty look.

Luder, nice looking BMW wheels.
I am looking at a set of wheels from a BMW 650 with 15mm offsets to push the wheel outward without spacers.
What is the maximum offset that you found would work with your Model S? I want to fill the wheel well. :cool:

• Size Front: 19x8.5 +14mm
  • Size Rear: 19x9.0 +14mm

I test fitted a whole bunch of wheels for upcoming winter. My Tesla is a daily driver for my wife and will be driven through a Chicago winter. I didn't want to try and find 21" winter tires for the OEM P85+ wheels...they are too expensive, and the wheels are temporary. Seeing that I'll probably will be selling them in the winter or early in Spring, it didn't seem worthwhile for me to order snow tires for them.

I test fitted a few GM wheels, BMW wheels, and some others. I ended up with some BMW 20" wheels from a 6-series; let me know what you think (I know the tires are wrong size for the Tesla; they will be replaced with appropriate sized winter/all season tires. Also, I may end up using 10 to 15mm spacers for the rear and 10mm spacers for the front to push the wheels and tires out to make for better visual fitment.

I reposted this for locals in case anyone is interested in finding a winter set of wheels for their Tesla cars. The person I purchased these from has a slew of BMW wheels off of new dealership cars that have been upgraded with wheels. I told him that I'd help spread the word to Tesla owners that may be in the same situation as me. Let me know if you're interested in getting his contact info and/or seeing other pictures of other wheels I test fit on the car before selecting these.

Offsets and width of these wheels are bit 'weaker' than I wanted, but still can be made to work with wider tires and 15mm or larger spacers.

I just mounted the BMW winter wheels back on the car today. Yes, the BMW center caps are 'off'....actually, they have been covered with carbon fiber look vinyl. 5, 6, 7, and 8 series OEM wheels fit decent. Rear offsets are a little high depending on width of the wheels; but nothing that a 5 to 10mm spacer can't/won't fix. 1, 3, and 4 series BMWs bolt pattern fits, however, offsets are too high and widths are too narrow.

I don't know what offsets and width of the wheels on your 5 series in the picture, but I'm willing to bet that those wheels will fit....the rears maybe a little too narrow (just eyeballing it) for the Tesla rear. If you can share the width and offset, I can tell you for sure though. If they fit more sunk-in, spacers can help push them out to get a wider rear track and more of an aggressive/sporty look.