Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago Winters Anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, new to the forums and expecting delivery of my 70 end of Feb.

I have read some of the posts in regards to the 70 vs. the 70D but most of those people seem to live in much warmer climates like CA, etc. I happen to live in Chicago and I was wondering if there are any 70 or 60 owners that reside in the Chicagoland area if not then maybe the midwest that can share their experiences with RWD in our wonderful weather :)

I did not need the minimal range and the HP and liked the idea of the larger Frunk too so I passed on the D and opted for the Pano roof and Autopilot with the 5K savings.

I am hoping that the over all weight of the Tesla and the distribution of that weight will allow for no issues with traction, etc. when we do have some snow on the roads. I have the 19" all season tires as well.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

I live here in Chicago with a 70D right now; just starting to get slippery out. The D seems to be solid all the time. I think the big thing is that I got winter tires on my 19s for the season and those really grip in wet/cold/snowy weather still. That is more important almost than the D versus non-D. I think up here though AWD still makes a big difference in stability at times though - hard to tell overall.

I have a RWD 85 and will double down on Travwill thoughts. Snow are more important than D. I find myself very sure footed except when the snow vets deep. And the loss of traction in deep snow is more a result of ground clearance than anything else.

With that said, I have a big full size SUV for snow storms. So I don't know much other than how it handles in typical 1-3 type snow situations.

I have a MS 70D and live in the Chicago suburbs. When it was snowy and icy the other day, I took my 70D out for a spin to see how well it would handle the snow and ice. It gripped as well as my Jeep Grand Cherokee in 4WD. I was really impressed and very glad I got the AWD version and the cold weather package.

This topic always inspires a spirited debate between the AWD crowd and the old fart RWD crowd (that's me...and a few others who cut their teeth a couple decades before XDrive came out). In order of winter capabilities a D with winter tires leads. A close second is a RWD car with winter tires. A distant third is the D with all season tires. And an interstellarly distant 4th is a RWD car with all season tires.

In Chicago, you will want a good set of winter tires (opined the guy in Milwaukee with the RWD 85).

Thoughts about the Model S being as capable as an SUV are limited to very small snow accumulations. Anything above 4"... And you run out of ground clearance. Trucks don't. Just be cognizant of how deep it is where you want to go. Especially through intersections and plow mounds.

Classic 85. Winter 1 with the Goodyear All Season tires = terrible. Winters 2, 3 and now 4 with the Mich Xi3 = security. I've had no issues driving in the burbs and in the city with these wheels. I had one spin out in my neighborhood last year when I turned a corner too quickly and hit a patch of black ice that -- obviously -- I didn't see and when I got stuck in the alley with about 8 inches of snow. I think that was more of my own fault than that of the car/tires. Still, my wife's Subaru AWD drove circles around me and now does her Highlander. Compared to all my other FWD cars, the MS has been as good or better. I'd buy the AWD MS now, but winter tires do make a huge difference.

I have a MS 70D and live in the Chicago suburbs. When it was snowy and icy the other day, I took my 70D out for a spin to see how well it would handle the snow and ice. It gripped as well as my Jeep Grand Cherokee in 4WD. I was really impressed and very glad I got the AWD version and the cold weather package.

I forget, does the cold weather package come with the regular primacy mx4 tires or is that a specific winter tire too.

I'm sorry you asked the opposite question I could answer... I'm sure if you drive intelligently, you will be OK. For me, the MS was too expensive a car to not be able to drive comfortably all 12 months here. WITH AWD, I can assure you you wouldn't be shown up by a Subaru or the like (I came from Audi, and Tesla D is just as good, if not better, than Quattro). I do have to get in and out of an alley (not plowed, ever, my tax dollars at work), so YMMV. To the Jeff above me, I have driven through more than 4" in the alley with no issues (air suspension on high). There will be a grounded-out limit, of course, just pretty rare (snowmageddon) that that happens. I wouldn't try off roading (in snow or mud), there are some advantages to a *proper* SUV [1].

[1] Wow, what I wouldn't give to see a rally version of a MS or MX.

P85 here. Been in the snow twice so far. Its pretty awesome when you can raise the suspension when you see a non plowed street or pile of snow. That by itself differentiates it from other vehicles. I have all season tires that came with the CPO, driving slow no problem. Got stuck on my driveway, but turned off traction control and got right out of it. So in my opinion it handles like my old Civic Si, drive it carefully and you should be fine.