Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chickening out ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was planning to take the Model Y on a trip from New Jersey to West Palm Beach, FL. After reading through numerous posts on the experience of taking the Model Y on long trips, I'm taking the Prius, instead. I filled up the Prius's tank which reports an estimated range of 600 miles.

The actual driving of the Model Y is far better, but for a long trip, the recharging hassle just isn't worth it. Also, there is no "home" charging option with my second-floor condo in Florida. Still, it is nice to know that if I didn't have the Prius option, I "could" do it with the Model Y.

Reactions: InternetDude
I was planning to take the Model Y on a trip from New Jersey to West Palm Beach, FL. After reading through numerous posts on the experience of taking the Model Y on long trips, I'm taking the Prius, instead. I filled up the Prius's tank which reports an estimated range of 600 miles.

The actual driving of the Model Y is far better, but for a long trip, the recharging hassle just isn't worth it. Also, there is no "home" charging option with my second-floor condo in Florida. Still, it is nice to know that if I didn't have the Prius option, I "could" do it with the Model Y.

I'm sure others on the forum have made the same decision. My recommendation. Plan the trip with the SC locations you would probably use. Take some time to investigate some of these locations on the way down in the Prius. ABRP on your phone will navigate you to them. At your destination, drive to where the local charging options are, especially the Tesla destination chargers. With that bit of reconnaissance done a future trip in the Y won't be so worrying. If your destination is Pensacola, I can be of help. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
I drove 6000 miles in two weeks last summer (Eastern ON to BC and then some) and charging was no hassle at all. I never spent more than 20 minutes at a time at a SuC, and most of the time either me or my gf needed a bathroom break anyways.

I didn't even use any foo-foo magic like ABRP, unstead I just told the car what I wanted to do and it routed me to the superchargers as needed.

If I had any range anxiety before that trip, it sure is gone now.

Either way, enjoy Florida! I heard it's warmer there than in great white North ;)

Personally I don't think of W Palm Beach Florida as a difficult place to find a charge.
It's your choice, you do you.

Attachments

• Superchargers-W Palm Beach Fl.jpg
    Superchargers-W Palm Beach Fl.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 80
We drive from San Antonio, Texas to Boulder, CO every summer and this summer is going to be a bit different with the Model Y coming in this weekend. We have decent coverage of superchargers along the way, but that stretch from Amarillo to Trinidad is brutal. I don't think I'm willing to chance it. They're supposed to build a supercharger in Clayton which will make the trip SO MUCH easier, but in the meantime...I'm nervous.

Technically there are other more safer routes, which if we go this summer we'll probably take, but they add time to the trip.

I can't wait for our first road trip in the Y!

We drive from San Antonio, Texas to Boulder, CO every summer and this summer is going to be a bit different with the Model Y coming in this weekend. We have decent coverage of superchargers along the way, but that stretch from Amarillo to Trinidad is brutal. I don't think I'm willing to chance it. They're supposed to build a supercharger in Clayton which will make the trip SO MUCH easier, but in the meantime...I'm nervous.

Technically there are other more safer routes, which if we go this summer we'll probably take, but they add time to the trip.

I've done Houston to Vail several times but never in the Tesla. Right now, I don't think that Route is really viable unless you drive like a grandma. Using ABRP, it tells me that there are two legs max speed 60, and one leg max speed 70. If I add weight to the car and tell it to not reduce speed, it routes me north through Kansas then West.

I would NOT want to be stranded out there on 287. That is some straight up nowheresville.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric

Probably a wise choice. You drive 60 out there and you're a road hazard. Even then I wouldn't want to start up to Raton Pass low on juice. Assuming Clayton isn't open by the time you go will you opt for ICE via Raton (shorter and more interesting drive) or Tesla via I-70 (longer and boring as hell)?

Edit: Or is your alternate route via Tucumcari/Las Vegas MN?

Last edited:
The autopilot alone would make me want to take the Tesla.

Why? I just drove from Los Angeles to St Augustine on a Prius Prime with Adaptive cruise control in January. It worked great, so the only thing i had to worry about was steering. Drove over 800 miles a day and filled up roughly every 460 miles and averaged about 48mpg. Average was just over 12hrs a day. I had to stop for food and bathroom breaks, before the car needed gas.

No phantom braking on the Prius. Now mind you, I just took a trip from LA to Las Vegas and the Auto Steer on the MY worked great and only had one instance of "phantom" braking, but i think the MY thought a truck was riding the line too much. It actually is much improved since the first time i had it. I also learned about the penalty box(losing autosteer till you stop) for trying to pass a truck too quick... UGH. LOL

Probably a wise choice. You drive 60 out there and you're a road hazard. Even then I wouldn't want to start up to Raton Pass low on juice. Assuming Clayton isn't open by the time you go will you opt for ICE via Raton (shorter and more interesting drive) or Tesla via I-70 (longer and boring as hell)?

Edit: Or is your alternate route via Tucumcari/Las Vegas MN?
Tucumcari for sure. But it looks like the Clayton SC is well on its way according to the recent construction pics. Should definitely be ready by summer. That thing is going to be a BUSY SC.

As someone who made multiple long distance trips in my Model 3 over the past 3 years, I can assure you there are always places to plug in. If you plan on driving I-95 from Jersey to West Palm Beach, the biggest problem you will have is deciding which Supercharger stations to skip. From a quick review of the map at Supercharge.info, it looks like the biggest stretch between stations is 95 miles, between Petersburg, Virginia and Rocky Mount, North Carolina. Given the high density of Supercharger stations along I-95, I also don't think you will find a lot of congestion at any of the stations, either.

I would suggest that if you make your trip in two days, to be sure to find a hotel with a complementary EVSE station, so you can leave your hotel with a full charge and skip the first one or two Superchargers in your second morning. Also be sure to carry you J-1772 adaptor. I've sometimes found it handy to carry a 25 ft section of 12 gauge extension cord in order to use any overnight wall socket opportunity. When you get to Florida, there is a supercharger just north of West Palm Beach in Riviera Beach at the Wawa's about one block east of I-95 at Blue Heron Boulevard and Garden Road.

And be sure to skip the Supercharger at the Savannah airport. That location is a confusing time waster. Use the v.3 Supercharger just to the north in Hardeeville, South Carolina.

Good luck with you vacation.