TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Child booster seat for third row

Discussion in 'Model S' started by skn, Jul 19, 2014.

1. skn

skn Member

Does anyone know of a booster seat that will work with the third row kids seat? Typical ones will not work because of the location of the buckle.

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I don't think you should be using a booster seat in the third row. That would be my guess. Doesn't seem safe to me.

3. skn

skn Member

#3 skn, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    Kid is of right age, weight etc. Just wants a bit better view :)

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Maybe you could just send an email to tesla ownership and ask them of it's ok to use a booster seat there.

5. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Put towel under his butt!

6. skn

skn Member

That sounds like a good idea indeed.

7. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

The owner's manual says "do not use supplemental child safety seats in these seats," so it's pretty clear the answer from Tesla would be "no."

That said, Steve's "towel under the butt" idea seems like your best bet. There's just a concern that it could misalign your kids pelvis in relation to the 5 point harness and increase the odds of injury in the event of a crash.

8. Caligula

Caligula Member

To be fair, a booster seat doesn't necessarily mean it's a "child safety seat". I'd still ask, as these definitions are somewhat nebulous IMO.

Edit: yeah, I just noticed the date of the last reply. Sorry.

9. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Echo here, 3rd row seats should not be modified in any way, per Tesla, and per common sense. That means no boosters, no child seats, no towels. They are rated up to 75lbs a piece and they should be used only by a child that is ready for a forward facing normal car seat. If they are still rear-racing in a normal car seat, DO NOT put them in the 3rd row seats.

10. edable

edable 2011 Roadster 2.5 / 2016 Founders MXP90DL

Found a Booster Seat That Works!!!! Read on for more details....

We recently took delivery of a Model X and learned that our child's Graco booster seat was too wide. As a result, it interfered with the belt buckle. The only way to make it work was to shift the booster seat off to the opposite side which led to the car seat being tilted. We also tried with a Clek booster seat and the same thing. The armrest covered the belt buckle.

However, this past weekend we found a seat that works. It is the Harmony Youth Booster Seat (without LATCH). The best part is that it is sold at Walmart and cost only CDN $20.00. The base of the seat is tapered which allows the seat to be centered nicely between the seat bolsters on either side without overlapping and covering the belt buckle.

Attached are some photos of the product itself and how it sits in the second row of a Model X. Works fine in the third row seats as well. Also attached are some photos with our Graco seat. I did not take any photos with the Clek seat at it was the same issue as the Graco.

Hope this helps those parents that have been having difficulty finding a booster seat that works.

Ed, Rhonda and Atley

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  11. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

This thread was about a booster seat in the S, not the X.

12. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

It's funny because the post was so thorough, but completely missed this was about the Model S third row. He should re-post in the X forum.

13. jboy08

jboy08 Member

Great write up, but had to cringe once I saw the "X" and the pics...

14. edable

edable 2011 Roadster 2.5 / 2016 Founders MXP90DL

I posted this thread here hoping that this would be of some assistance to those who were searching
    Thanks for the feedback. I will repost in the MX forum as well. I posted here hoping that it would be of some assistance to those who have an issue with booster seats covering the belt buckled. We had experienced this in our MS and now our MX. Was happy that we finally found something suitable and thought that I would offer up the info here. I was prepared to buck up and buy a Porche child booster and found one that works from Walmart of all places.

15. amallah

amallah Member

This thread was about the 3rd row in the S. The 2nd row in the S - I know exactly what you mean and appreciate the link to the seat that doesn't cover the buckle, but the responses you're getting is because it's a totally different topic.