Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Child Car Seats: LATCH or ISO-FIX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DITB

Charged.hk co-founder
Nov 13, 2012
Hong Kong
My car was delivered September 2014. It has ISO-FIX connectors, not sure about LATCH, I don't know that standard.

With the 14 month old just growing and growing, he needs a larger seat. Despite, he is getting a little sister later this year, so we will need to have two seats.

His sister will use his existing seat, and we need a larger one for him.

So I am looking at different seats, what should I look for?

How do I know if my car has LATCH connectors?

A certain larger US toy store has a good selection and things on sale at the moment. Passing through the USA, I am shopping for one, but need to be "pre-informed" so I can make a decision while in the shop.

Thank you for your help :)

They are the same, although I believe ISO-FIX also has a rigid tether (like a leg) for rear-facing seats that's not used in Latch.

more info here: Isofix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, I looked up and came back to correct, but you beat me to it! Called LUOS in Canada LATCH in USA and ISO-FIX in Europe.

So I am looking at a "Safety 1st Alpha Elite 65 Convertible Car Seat" which sells for 130 USD at "that" toy store. It says "LATCH equipped", so I guess I could get it?

Reviews of that seat says its a PITA to install and remove - but with LATCH/ISOFIX/LUOS, it should be easy?

In the US, both Consumer Reports and the IIHS do independent safety reviews of car seats. I recommend looking at their ratings before buying.

For convertible car seats (I.e. ones can be installed both rear facing and front facing), I've used Britax Boulevards for both kids and found them very easy to install with LATCH on the Model S.

IIRC the difference is that with LATCH there is supposed to be a hooking point behind the seat (bascially in the trunk) for attaching a wire, we don't have this in the European ISO-FIX. The main attachment points under the seat back are the same though.

+1 This is what I have for my daughter as well. It is very heavy as sundoc pointed out, but what I like best about it is how relatively thin it is, allowing two adults to sit in the back seat comfortably along with the car seat.
+2 both my kids use them (they used to be called SunShine Kids, and then are now Diono).

Thanks for all the replies.

I now managed to mount the "Safety 1st" seat in the car. Not perfect to fit it in, could have been easier, but now that it's there, it seems nice! The 15 month old is almost 30 pounds now, and while testing the seat he ... fell asleep within minutes so I guess it passed.