TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Child seat confusion

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by DrManhattan, Jul 9, 2016.

1. DrManhattan

DrManhattan Member

i don't have the rear latches in the back to connect a rear strap for kids seats. It shows it in the manual though.

Also I thought new models were supposed to support 3 LATCH system in the rear but I only have 2.

2. Victor Liu

Victor Liu Member

Are are you referring to the top tethers for the car seats? They are present but I had to crawl into the trunk to find them. They are vertical slits and I had to find them by feel the first time. I had 2 car seats in the back when the kids were younger. Don't forget the car seat protectors, the amount of food particles and drink stains that accumulates behind the seats is astounding.

3. DrManhattan

DrManhattan Member

Okay, so I guess way down hidden at the bottom, there are some metal rods that *may* be child hooks? I was able to (I think) clip them in, but I can't see, and the fit is really tight.

As for the 3 LATCH connectors, I guess they have updated the website:

• Three second row LATCH attachments for child seat installations (accommodates three child seats simultaneously: two with LATCH and one with top tether and belt)

I don't have 3 kids anyway, so I'm not going to put too much effort into figuring this out, but I guess it will work.

4. mmccord

mmccord Member

They are about half way down the back of the seat. I can take a picture if you want.

5. mmccord

mmccord Member

image.jpeg

• Informative x 1
  6. DrManhattan

DrManhattan Member

Oh wow is it possible It was just too dark and I didn't see them? I don't have my car for a couple days I'll check when I get back.

7. DrManhattan

DrManhattan Member

I just looked and I don't have those slits half way down. Something that was changed during the refresh?

8. zambono

zambono Member

I think those hooks there are for those who have the rear facing seats because I don't have them either and I picked up on tuesday

• Like x 1
  9. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

They aren't for the rear facing seats. They are specifically called out in the owners manual pg 25. Are you sure you didn't just miss them? If they have never been used they are very difficult to find.

10. DrManhattan

DrManhattan Member

I checked 3 times just to make sure I'm not totally insane. They aren't there. They must have changed it with the refresh and not updated the manual.

11. Boourns

Boourns Member

^ You might call the service center. I think cars have to have top tether points by law.

12. tomp

tomp Member

I'd be very surprised if they aren't there. The carpet material has a thin slit in it, which might be hard to find the first time. I doubt you can see the slits, but if you run your hand over the surface you should be able to feel the metal loop underneath, and then open up the slit.

13. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

They're there but what's thenpoint? In Europe we have ISO-fix which is just as safe, and it doesn't use the third, "over the seat" latch. As Donnie Brasco would say: Forgettaboutit.

14. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

That's how it was on the early (and maybe all) cars. The slit is there, but it's laser-cut or something and stock you can't even tell it's there. I had to kind of jam my finger in there and rip the slot open. I was able to find the right location by pushing on the seatback and looking for the area that had a little give to it. Then once I found it, jamming my finger in there.

15. DrManhattan

DrManhattan Member

Ok screw you guys. It's there. It just took me 4 times to find it. o_O

They hid that thing pretty good!

16. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Honestly how is this third latch point important. How can European child seats be as safe omitting this latch point???

17. DrManhattan

DrManhattan Member

It's just a different safety requirement for a different region. I don't know the specifics but it seems isofix also has another leg for stability, and LATCH has a rear latch behind the seat somewhere. I wouldn't get caught up in the differences especially if you are stuck with whatever regional requirement you have.

18. Daniel 74

Daniel 74 Active Member

Like this:
    image.jpg