Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Child seat recommendation for Model X 2nd row, 3 kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

yesterday I got my model X 90D. What a wonderful experience!

It is a 7 seater. Now I need to find the best car seats for my 3 kids to fit them into the second row. The kids are 5, 6 and 8, so I was thinking 1 booster seat for the 8 year old and 2 forward facing seats for the younger ones.

Anybody with a similar setup and ideas on what seats work best and also if belt extenders are necessary.

THANK YOU!

There's no "best" car seats. Every kid is different so one works well for my kid does not mean it works well for yours. For example, I have once heard some kids getting car sick in 1 type of car seat and got much better after changing to another brand. So, get what works for you, your car, and your kids.

+1 for Radian RXT. It'll fit in the 2nd row outboard seats for sure, but not sure if it'll fit in the 2nd row middle seat (I have the 6 seat configuration). For rear-facing, you may need the foam base add-on to change the angle depending on how far back the front seats are.

I'm using 3 Diono RXT. 6 seater with 2 in the 3rd row and 1 rear facing in the 2nd. I use the foam to make the front passenger seat usable, without the foam is way to cramped. RXTs aren't the easiest to install in the X. Takes me about 45-60mins to do the 3rd row. The high backs will also put fair deep indentation on the headrest so I placed a foam pad to reduced the indentation.

There's a thread I started about car seats.

I'd include the link but not sure how to do it.

Reactions: hiroshiy
For the boosters, the Clek Olli works great -- plus it's LATCH so it doesn't slide around when the 8 yo isn't in the car.

It's fairly narrow so it fits. LATCH posts are rigid, so it's a little bit of a trick to lock the seat in (you have to push down on the seat), but it works perfectly once you get the hang of it.

You definitely need seat belt extenders (probably with almost any LATCH carseat). Tesla evenly spaces the 3 seats so the width for each seat belt area is narrower than other cars. I've experienced this with both MS and MX.

Seat belt extenders are readily available on Amazon.

For the boosters, the Clek Olli works great -- plus it's LATCH so it doesn't slide around when the 8 yo isn't in the car.

It's fairly narrow so it fits. LATCH posts are rigid, so it's a little bit of a trick to lock the seat in (you have to push down on the seat), but it works perfectly once you get the hang of it.

You definitely need seat belt extenders (probably with almost any LATCH carseat). Tesla evenly spaces the 3 seats so the width for each seat belt area is narrower than other cars. I've experienced this with both MS and MX.

Seat belt extenders are readily available on Amazon.
+1 for Clek. I have a 12, 7 and 5yo kids and we started with Clek Oobr for the 5 yo (high back booster) and an Olli for my 7yo, but she's pretty tall so now she just rides "commando" in the middle seat. The seat belt is not too high so for shorter trips it works out great. I keep the Olli in the trunk well for longer trips. Love the Latch boosters! And Cleks are pretty narrow.

Seat belt extenders are a must, since the buckle receptacles are so deep in the seats.

Hi,

yesterday I got my model X 90D. What a wonderful experience!

It is a 7 seater. Now I need to find the best car seats for my 3 kids to fit them into the second row. The kids are 5, 6 and 8, so I was thinking 1 booster seat for the 8 year old and 2 forward facing seats for the younger ones.

Anybody with a similar setup and ideas on what seats work best and also if belt extenders are necessary.

THANK YOU!
We also have a 7 seat model X for our 3 kids. In the 3rd row, we use a Clek Oobr (awesome seat for easy latching) and Diano. My 5 and 4 year olds sit back there and it fits fine, but you have to watch out for leg crushing when moving the middle seats back. In the 2nd row driver side we have another Diano for the 2 year old (forward facing). A 4th baby is on the way and we plan on using a rear facing baby seat (Peg Preggo) in the other 2nd row outside seat. The middle seat in the 2nd row is reserved for friends or a parent who needs to sit in the back to help calm the baby.

Like a lot of tesla family's here. We have 3 diono radians and diono Cambria high back. We have the 7 seater X. Our first set up was 3 radians across the 2nd row and the Cambria in the 3rd row. Then we changed it to 2 radians in the 2nd row and 1 radians and the Cambria in the back. We changed the set up because that's how the kids wanted to seat and if we have an extra passenger they can seat in the middle of the second row. They only problem we have had was that the X notice some weight in one of the seats so it kept telling us someone didn't have there seat belt on. It only does it for one seat but not the other. We anchor the seats down. We don't use the seat belt but we ended up clicking the middle seat belt in to the 2nd row seat behind the passenger. As a quick solution. I might reinstall the car seat and see if I get the seatbelt alert again. I didn't get it with the first set up. Maybe I tighten the seat down to hard. But yeah