TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Child Seats And Subzero Package

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Quick2Judge, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Quick2Judge

Quick2Judge Member

Hello All,. Does anyone out there use the Subzero Package and child seats? I assume no meaninful heat is transferred from the seat warmers to the child seats. Hopefully I am wrong?

2. TechVP

TechVP Active Poster

My opinion:
    I am in Oregon and even in June, I still get benefit from the SubZero. I used it this early am. Before delivery, I did a $500 change order to add Subzero (after a 24 hour test drive) and have not regretted it once. The heated steering wheel won us over. One more reason to keep the hands on the wheel while using autosteer.

I believe its really only mentioned in the Tesla manual -- heated seats are more electrically efficient than running a heater. So having them throughout the cabin is helpful to range.

Now back to the central point of your question:
    As for child seats -- you are correct, they will not receive any benefit. The only benefit is buts_in_seats.

3. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

I should have gotten subzero, only regret.

4. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

I'm in the minority and don't love the subzero package. This could be because I have two child seats in the back so I lose that benefit. The heated steering wheel takes 3 gestures to turn on and you can pre heat your car before you get in it when it's cold out in less gestures. It does not remember your settings unlike the heated seats. It's implemented poorly.

The heated washers I never used once and is a gimmick. Perhaps this is because my car was garaged during snow storms?

I loved my heated steering wheel on my BMW because it was one button and I couldn't preheat my car. As mentioned above though, the heated steering wheel is more efficient. If I was to buy new now, I'd skip it as I used it very rarely this past winter. $2500 saved.

• Informative x 1
  5. Firewired

Firewired Member

"I loved my heated steering wheel on my BMW because it was one button and I couldn't preheat my car. As mentioned above though, the heated steering wheel is more efficient. If I was to buy new now, I'd skip it as I used it very rarely this past winter. $2500 saved."

Why $2500, Subzero package used to be $750, now it is $1000?

6. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

I'm sorry, typo. I meant $1000, I was confusing it with the high fidelity package.

7. Quick2Judge

Quick2Judge Member

Thanks everyone for sharing the ideas and info. This is the final option I am on the fence about. Definitely more informed now.

8. pinball_player

I like the sub zero package for the heated windshield and heated back seats. Here in New England, even if the car is warmed up, the windshield can get very cold with frozen water on it. It causes the wipers to stick to the windshield and freeze. This prevents that.

The heated steering wheel is nice, but as mentioned above, it takes too many selects to enable it. I wish that the heated steering wheel and heated windshield had dedicated buttons on the bottom of the main screen. It would make things easier.

• Like x 1
  9. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

Nope. Child seats won't be able to draw heat from the heated seats. It would be the same in any vehicle. Even with Volvo, if you elect to get the integrated child seats, you forego heated seats (which is a shame in my opinion). That said, it's better for infants to not have heated seats because of the possibility of getting overheated. For younger kids, snow pants worked well. The other thing is to preheat the Tesla and that basically will do the same job.

10. Max*

Max* Not Banned

If you plan on keeping the Tesla a while, the kids will outgrow their carseats and can use the heated seats at that point.

11. croman

croman Active Member

My daughter loves the heated seats even in her car seat. It warms her feet. She asked for me to turn it on.

• Informative x 1
  12. Quick2Judge

Quick2Judge Member

I have two young kids. It will be a lonnnnnnng time before they are out of boosters. Getting some benefit in the mean will be great. I will go for it. Thanks.

• Like x 1
  13. Max*

Max* Not Banned

I never thought of this... I might try it in the winter.

14. croman

croman Active Member

I only kept it at 2 when she was younger. Next winter she'll be able to judge when it's too hot and I'll keep it at three. She removes her socks the moment she's strapped in so if your child isn't a sock hater, you could just go with 3.

• Helpful x 1