TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Children's fingers getting caught in door handles

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mikedc813, Jun 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mikedc813

mikedc813 Member

I was in the garage with my 2 year old. I went to tie my shoes and next thing I know I hear crying and look up to see the fingers of one hand stuck in a retracted door handle. I ran over to try and pull the handle open but it wouldn't budge. t rushed to find the key fob to unlock the door and got his hand out. He had a little swelling but ended up being ok. You'd think that there would be some sort of safety mechanism that senses if there is an obstruction when the handles close that would than automatically extend the handles??

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Huh? It's spring loaded, you should be able to pull it out completely with minimal force.

3. DrManhattan

DrManhattan Member

Unfortunate, but the world is full of things that are bad for little ones fingers: drawers, doors closing, and little fingers in elevator doors as they are opening. Glad he's okay.

4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Yep, tiny springs. You could have pulled the hand out without unlocking. Try it yourself.

5. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Yes. It is a bit pinchy but I can's see how it could cause any damage as the springs are not really strong. Certainly safer than car doors which can close on little hands and have no safety mechanism.

6. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

This is, I am quite certain, the second report of a child's hand coming stuck in the door handles here. Unfortunately I can't find the original thread anymore.

7. smartypnz

smartypnz Member

Sorry to hear of the little one's fingers.
    You didn't tell us what Tesla said when you reported this. I'm just assuming they were contacted first.

Yes, there is little a resistance in the springs, but there could be a defect where it wouldn't give. Needs to be reported to Tesla immediately. If there is a problem, early investigation may prevent another mishap.

I suspect first reaction of a 2 year old is to yank the hand away which may cause more injury. An adult in this situation would just pull the handle out and probably not be injured. I've gotten 'closed on' a few times - 1st time was a bit unnerving, but subsequent times meant nothing.

8. Max*

I remember that thread, assuming we're talking about the same thing, and the kids hands got stuck in the door, not the door handle. The owner freaked, took a step back, and realized they were stuck in the rear door, not the front one, and when he opened it all was well. If he tried to pry open the front door, he likely would've broken his kids fingers (his words, not mine).

9. brkaus

brkaus Member

Probably would be good to show kids how the door handle works and let them get "stuck" under controlled circumstances.

Perhaps a loop of fabric around the handle so it could be manually extended/retracted with their finger underneath.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  10. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

If you're talking about the thread by YOBIGD then wasn't that a completely different incident
    His child's fingers were caught in between doors, nothing to do with handles if I remember correctly

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Sorry to hear about your little guy.

If you couldn't pull the handle, there's something wrong. I jammed my hand in mine to see if it could hurt our 2 year old if he got his little hand stuck in there. The pressure is pretty minor, and a pull on the handle allows you to overcome the force of the spring. I wouldn't expect the force to be enough to cause any kind of injury, but pulling on it while your hand is stuck in there probably would.

If your vehicle performed otherwise, you should probably have it checked out. Tesla can measure the spring force.

12. L-P-G

L-P-G Member

uuummm... are you sure?

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  13. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

I remember the original thread too, where the OP was chastised for showing his indented finger. That then led to people buying pull scales and making posts and videos mocking him.

The bottom line is, there are tension springs in the handle, with adjustments. So there is the possibility of some individual's car to have more tension than others. Even the main "opponent" of the possibility of this hurting someone measured 30%+ difference in tension across 2 different MSs.

If the child somehow slipped his fingers into the gap between the door edge and the plate behind the handle, I could see a situation where pulling the handle would be pulling it into his fingers further.

Not saying these are finger guillotines, but it is possible to pinch/hurt a finger--especially a child's. Agree with poster above.. lots of things can pinch a child's fingers.

14. brkaus

brkaus Member

Agree. This is why it would be worth showing kids how it works.

Yanking ones fingers out perpendicular to the handle pull direction could cause more concern then gently pulling the gandle back out in the normal direction.

15. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

There you have it. Prooof of "TISSUE DAMAGE" :confused:

• Funny x 2
  16. HeavyAaron

HeavyAaron Member

My nine year old screamed when she had her fingers pinched. It's real enough.

17. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Yeah, it is certainly enough force to startle a child into screaming/crying. The force is so minor I don't think they will actually be hurt, but still not pleasant.

18. Max*

That's right, I now remember that thread!