Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chill mode acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the answer depends on whether chill mode actually affects how quickly you accelerate and your top speed. I

Imagine two Teslas make the same trip, side-by-side. One in chill mode, the other not. At every light, both drivers choose to accelerate at the same rate (below both car's limitations), and they both achieve top speed between lights at the same moment, arriving at the same top speed. So, they remain exactly side-by-side the whole trip.

The only difference might be how far their pedals have to go to achieve identical results, but their motors are doing the same amount of work. I submit that both cars will probably both spit the same number of electrons out of their respective nonexistent tailpipes.

However, if chill mode causes you to accelerate more slowly because you tend to floor the pedal, yes it will make a difference.

As far as I know, chill mode is for drivers who want the car to enforce limitations upon them, nothing more. I do not believe it affects efficiency.

But to be fair: What I just said is unverified. If chill mode means "only using half the number of motor coils" or some such arrangement, (which I don't imagine would be the case) it would affect efficiency and range. I know that the single motor cars are slightly more efficient than the dual motor cars. (My LR RWD gets 325 miles of range because it has the same battery capacity as the dual motor cars.) However it's also possible to have "not enough motor" for the job. If the motor was extremely small, it would draw a lot of current or even stall.