Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chill Mode: big downside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried "chill" with my P90D to see if the wh/mile decreased significantly. To be honest, it was COLD, so not a favorable comparison. As a result, I am not sure on the wh/m difference. The initial acceleration was noticeable lower as advertised. Unfortunately, also was my X's acceleration at speed. I reached a point where I needed to move over several lanes and found it difficult to distance myself quickly when changing lanes. I put the X back in "insane". Will have to re-evaluate when ole-man-winter releases his grip.

As I patiently await my Model 3, ok, very patiently, I do have a cousin who *loves* Chill mode. He hasn't mentioned anything other than maybe more efficiency due to an overall more mellow experience. The downside being noticeably laggy acceleration.

On acceleration: My X60D came with zero to 60 time of 6.0 seconds (I think). Now that I have upgraded to 75D I believe I can get it uncorked to 4.9 seconds. I was considering this when I asked myself How would I know if it changed? When am I going to experience it? I thought I should go check it the way it is and see how close to 6.0 seconds it is and then check after getting it uncorked. But I couldn't think where I could try it! I live in the big Southern California megalopolis. From about 5:00 am to midnight there is always something in the way: traffic signals, stop signs, police, children, dogs but mostly other cars. I'd feel funny about setting my alarm clock so I could get up in the middle of the night to go speed test my car. I rarely get the opportunity to use zero to 60 acceleration in normal driving so I kind of lost interest in getting it uncorked. There are a lot of Teslas where I live. I don't remember ever seeing one accelerating at a ludicrous rate.

Having said all that, I do appreciate the ability to merge, change lanes, get in front of drunk or texting drivers. In "Chill" mode I miss that ready power. I may change it back to Normal but I want to get a feel for the effect on energy efficiency.