Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chill Mode Extending Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The throttle position moves hundreds of times per second. It's not just when you think in your head it is moving. It is never static. When the throttle reacts 50% faster, there are many more spikes and draws than exist with a slower and smoother reaction.
Brilliant. Maybe they should apply a low-pass filter to the steering wheel, too. The longevity of the front tires would increase significantly, plus we would increase battery life for not using the power steering as much.

If my right foot oscillated around a median only half as much as in the graphic you posted, I'd be more worried about my health than the throttle response.

Btw: the A/D converter for the accelerator runs at 100 samples per second, so the presumed "hundreds of times per second" don't really matter.

Just to be clear, I see where you're coming from when you say that filtering the spikes makes a difference. I just doubt that those spikes occur at a significant rate or amplitude. Can you cite a reputable source that supports your claim?

It's relatively clear when you understand what chill mode does, it's just that some people don't seem to want to hear it :)
In normal mode, the pedal goes from unpressed = 0hp to fully depressed = 300hp for example. half-pressed might be 150hp, although it's not quite linear.
In chill model, the pedal goes from unpressed = 0hp to fully depressed = 200hp, with the middle point maybe at 75hp? It's also non linear but typically the mapping is made so you really have to press hard to get decent power. Note the maximum available is lower, at 200hp.
How will that affect your consumption? If you put your foot exactly like in normal, you'll go slower. Yes, you should consume (a bit) less. If you press fully, you'll have less power, again yes you'll consume (slightly) less.
Now, if you were always using less than 200hp, and you adjust your foot position to get the same power in both modes, then I state that NO, you won't reduce your consumption.
The max of 200hp in chill mode is the same for a LR AWD and a Performance so the difference from normal mode is ever bigger (400hp, 500hp roughly)
I didn't want to say it but the difference between Standard and Chill has been tested in the real world by TeslaBjorn already (twice I think) and there was no difference.

It's hard to argue with flat earthers.

Reactions: Payjack
Does chill mode do anything for efficiency? For instance, if I'm in autopilot and the car speeds up. Will it speed up at a slower rate?

(moderator note: post moved to this thread as it is on the topic that was asked)

Last edited by a moderator:
It basically limits the car's power with how much you press down the pedal. So yes, it would speed up at a slower rate. If I had to guess, the 0-60 in chill mode is probably around 7 seconds.

It won't increase your range, but it can make the car more efficient (which can help achieve the advertised range) because it may dial back how much you floor it :)

Maybe the engineers in the group can weigh in, but wouldn't the overall efficiency of an electric motor compared to an ICE basically negate any of the 'peak trimming' efficiencies being postulated here. With an ICE wasting significant stored energy (fuel) creating heat (and higher friction losses or whatever) I could see where hugging the median saves energy over a large enough time period. I don't think that's nearly as much of a factor with an EV though. 200 kW over 1 second vs 20 kW over 10 seconds is going to basically equate to the same Wh/mile. When I've played around in my car in short, unscientific experiments that seems to hold true. I'm with the 'chill mode doesn't make a difference' crowd.

Reactions: GtiMart