Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chill mode impact on range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No data, all anecdotal, but I didn’t see an appreciable change due to chill mode, which would make sense depending on how you drive. Chill only changes the acceleration curve; the amount of energy for the car to go 60mph is the same regardless of mode.

I had it enabled for a few weeks, but have since gone back to standard. May use it for city driving, but if you can control your acceleration, the mode won’t matter.

If enabling chill mode results in the passengers not getting car sick, it might result in fewer stops, which would result in better range :)

In all seriousness, I have had it enabled almost constantly since November , the difference isn't drastic and would be hard to measure. It makes it easier to drive economical, but it is hard to measure the difference. I also think many who will use it to maximise range already drove equally economical without it (except now Autopilot also feels less aggressive) and as such may not see as big of a change.

However, when you really need it and every mile of range counts, I would definitely recommend using it!

I could be mistaken, but I feel chill makes autopilot less aggressive, and conserves a bit of range on long autopilot trips. I haven't measured scientifically though.

I now put chill mode on when on autopilot and it’s great. Previously for all adjusts in speed on tacc would be jolting and use high kWh. Chill mode adjust this better and get much better range while on autopilot with chill mode on.

Can you measure average consumption over a period of time/miles and report savings?

Anecdotal. Chill mode seemed to reduce consumption appreciably, but not more than about 10%. I was a bit surprised it made that much difference.
- Autopilot, Range mode, SAS set to Lower when faster than 55 mph.
- Alternated 15-20 mile stretches between Chill mode and Normal.
- 70 to 75 mph. Moderate traffic, Autopilot had to adjust speed regularly. Cabin temperature set to about 68 degrees.
- 2017 S 100D
- Early December, temperature in low '40s, four adults plus full load of luggage.
- I-95 from Madison, CT SuperCharger through RI.

We got from Madison, CT to Wellfleet, MA on Cape Cod. Skipped the Sagamore SuperCharger that Tesla Nav had counted on.

• Love
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
Anecdotal. Chill mode seemed to reduce consumption appreciably, but not more than about 10%. I was a bit surprised it made that much difference.
- Autopilot, Range mode, SAS set to Lower when faster than 55 mph.
- Alternated 15-20 mile stretches between Chill mode and Normal.
- 70 to 75 mph. Moderate traffic, Autopilot had to adjust speed regularly. Cabin temperature set to about 68 degrees.
- 2017 S 100D
- Early December, temperature in low '40s, four adults plus full load of luggage.
- I-95 from Madison, CT SuperCharger through RI.

We got from Madison, CT to Wellfleet, MA on Cape Cod. Skipped the Sagamore SuperCharger that Tesla Nav had counted on.
Thank you. This is quiet useful.

Also thought this was funny although not relevant to my question:
Chill Mode Tested In Tesla Model X P90DL - Video