Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chill Mode in Snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NewTMSMan

Aug 21, 2017
USA
Found great use for Chill Mode - bad weather. Used it yesterday in snow in NJ and it worked great with my Model S P100D. When I initially left my house yesterday with about 3" of snow on the road in the neighborhood I put the car in Chill Mode and the reduced throttle response was perfect for the conditions. Car handled generally well with only all season tires on the 21" rims, but I did have to take care of the understeer a bit.

Great idea. I didn’t think of that use case. In fairness though, Teslas are great in the snow regardless.

Another use case for Chill Mode for which I credit the YouTube channel “Now You Know”, is when using Autopilot or TACC. When a slower car moves out of your way, Chill Mode will not accelerate as abruptly to resume set speed.

Agree with the first post as we live up in Toronto and snow’s a fact of life.

I’d be willing to bet chill mode had absolutely nothing to do with safety as much as limiting damage to overused and aggressive driving on the DU’s lol. I could see Tesla hoping more drivers adopt it and reduce the overall warranty expense on their books. I could just imagine the corporate PowerPoint slide showing chill mode adoption as related to reduced wear on the chassis/Motors and hard $$ savings. Boardroom: ‘Good work Johnson...you really want that Xmas bonus. Any objections? Let’s abbreviate ‘save our warranty costs mode to ‘chill’ mode. Better with the consumers. Any progress on AP2 and FS...oh look at the time...gotta get home for dinner. Sorry people...next years budget.’

Haha.

Last edited:
As much as I don't want to agree with the drive unit issues in being over aggressively driven, I have to say I'm sure that's the reason. Look up the acceleration shudder thread; this has to do with the half shafts on non performance vehicles (and even some performance ones) being worn down due to excessive torque. This was common among 85DS's and 75D Model X's. I have a 100D Model S now and it seems they've made the half shafts more robust with the DU00/DU01 drive units as I experience zero shudder whatsoever after over 7k miles of driving, unlike my. 85D.

• Informative
Reactions: phaduman
The car already uses sensors to give you the maximum-while-still-safe torque and wheel spin to avoid wheel slip. That's why when you floor it on snow and ice you'll barely get to 20mph by the time your usually past 60mph.

Not sure how much different driving in snow would can possibly be with chill mode on vs off.

Those of you who are saying it's great - have you had your cars during previous winters to compare without chill mode? I would test the difference myself but I don't have the chill mode update yet.

The car already uses sensors to give you the maximum-while-still-safe torque and wheel spin to avoid wheel slip. That's why when you floor it on snow and ice you'll barely get to 20mph by the time your usually past 60mph.

Sorry, but this is not true. Tested this specifically in last snow storm and I can easily get by Model S P100D sideways without even trying and it understeers heavily as well. While there is traction management, it does not keep the car under control.

Reactions: Superendo
I didn't say it worked miracles and kept the car under control if you are pushing the limits. So are you saying chill mode keeps the car under control while you're pushing the limits?

I live in Michigan and right now the roads are covered in ice and snow. When I floor it, I accelerate incredibly slow compared to full power. And I don't have to try hard or really at all to drive safely in the snow. Same deal when it's raining heavily and the roads are slick.

So my question was and still is - how much different is chill mode if you are driving the same and not purposely pushing limits or being reckless? Just wondering if anyone has tested out the difference

I didn't say it worked miracles and kept the car under control if you are pushing the limits. So are you saying chill mode keeps the car under control while you're pushing the limits?

I live in Michigan and right now the roads are covered in ice and snow. When I floor it, I accelerate incredibly slow compared to full power. And I don't have to try hard or really at all to drive safely in the snow. Same deal when it's raining heavily and the roads are slick.

So my question was and still is - how much different is chill mode if you are driving the same and not purposely pushing limits or being reckless? Just wondering if anyone has tested out the difference

I reenacted this scenario in sand. Car felt like it was driving through molasses, until the sand abruptly ended and the car shot forward like a rocket. Very interesting considering there was no wheelspin before traction control would take over, as on other cars.

Interesting as on snow it was pretty easy to get the car sideways, and did not feel like the car was cutting power back much to keep it from happening. Do you guys both have P models? Might be the difference possibly.

how much different is chill mode if you are driving the same and not purposely pushing limits or being reckless?

Chill mode is proactively limiting the power your foot generates. Traction control is reactionary and reducing it to sensed (potential) slip. If your foot is down and you hit a patch of good road surrounded by bad, you can shoot forward a bit in that small section. In chill mode, that "shoot forward" effect is limited.

In essence, it doesn't really affect things once you are limited, but chill mode performs better in the transition from good to bad since it isn't waiting for the bad to come.

I'm more than a little disappointed in Tesla for artificially limiting this mode to autopilot cars only; rwd P85 cars have had the update, so we know it works, but it won't enable unless you also have autopilot.

It's a shame, chill would be nicer than Valet mode in snow.

I'm more than a little disappointed in Tesla for artificially limiting this mode to autopilot cars only; rwd P85 cars have had the update, so we know it works, but it won't enable unless you also have autopilot.

It's a shame, chill would be nicer than Valet mode in snow.

That sucks! I was looking forward to chill mode when someone else drives my car or on ski trips, I guess Valet Mode will have to do :(