Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chill mode performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone come across the performance stats for Chill mode in Model 3 (LR in particular). I was just wondering what the 0-60 and 50-70 figures were like. Just trying to get an idea of what the actual impact is.

Has anyone come across the performance stats for Chill mode in Model 3 (LR in particular). I was just wondering what the 0-60 and 50-70 figures were like. Just trying to get an idea of what the actual impact is.

Google is your friend here I think. However, there is no requirement to drive in chill mode (though it may help smooth things out for the first few drives of the car). Once your right foot is educated you can drive it like a hearse in a funeral cortege in whatever mode. You can accelerate as gradually as you want and you can slow down just as imperceptibly.

Voice command maybe ?

To be honest I'm still trying to process 'standard mode is nuts' - I found being gentle with the accelerator results in suitably restrained acceleration, though I suppose it depends on what car you had previously and what you have on your feet (diving boot perhaps).

Interesting

I always found Chill mode perfect for everything, but wish it was a touch faster for overtaking on A roads. Standard mode for me is nuts and I hardly ever use it. I just wish there was a simple way to switch on the acceleration for an overtake and then revert to normal without using the touch screen.
I find the accelerator pedal works for that function. ;) 🤣

I have seen dyno graphs comparing chill mode in various model 3s. It essentially limits available power to roughly 200hp. Compare that to an SR+ having close to 300hp, a LR AWD having close to 400hp, a performance close to 500hp etc... It is quite limiting. All models seem limited to the same 200hp. I'm sure that'll make a 4000lbs car take 7-8 seconds to get to 60...

I have seen dyno graphs comparing chill mode in various model 3s. It essentially limits available power to roughly 200hp. Compare that to an SR+ having close to 300hp, a LR AWD having close to 400hp, a performance close to 500hp etc... It is quite limiting. All models seem limited to the same 200hp. I'm sure that'll make a 4000lbs car take 7-8 seconds to get to 60...

The perfect handicapping system, we could all have chill races!

Google is your friend here I think. However, there is no requirement to drive in chill mode (though it may help smooth things out for the first few drives of the car). Once your right foot is educated you can drive it like a hearse in a funeral cortege in whatever mode. You can accelerate as gradually as you want and you can slow down just as imperceptibly.
A major benefit of Chill is tyre life.

It also keeps your brain from banging against the back of your skull and your vision greying out :p

YMMV

Looks like the answer is ... late 1980s/early 90s hot hatch ... sub 8 seconds was a mark of pride ... and quick enough to get you into trouble! Or an E-Type Jag ... The Tesla is so composed and capable it makes those speeds feel very moderate indeed.

To be honest I'm still trying to process 'standard mode is nuts' - I found being gentle with the accelerator results in suitably restrained acceleration, though I suppose it depends on what car you had previously and what you have on your feet (diving boot perhaps).
Sorry for not living up to your macho view of how fast people should drive. In Standard, if you press the pedal it accelerates hard. You have to be extremely light on your foot to avoid a jolt. This can be both annoying and also dangerous eg in a built up area. Chill mode is much smoother and safer. There is no need to be able to accelerate like the Model 3 (and all Teslas) do other than to try and impress people. All I said was a touch less 'chill' when overtaking would be handy.

Reactions: Llama.
And you see, I'm surprised at how hard I need to press on the accelerator for it to move fast. I find there's a good feedback on it... I find it easy to move slowly if I want to. I'm sure this is a subjective thing... so yeah, chill mode exists and you are most certainly welcome to use it if it's good for you.

Sorry for not living up to your macho view of how fast people should drive. In Standard, if you press the pedal it accelerates hard. You have to be extremely light on your foot to avoid a jolt. This can be both annoying and also dangerous eg in a built up area. Chill mode is much smoother and safer. There is no need to be able to accelerate like the Model 3 (and all Teslas) do other than to try and impress people. All I said was a touch less 'chill' when overtaking would be handy.
Macho View ? If you are going to spout unadulterated nonsense I'd suggest you read the post correctly first.
I stated that it is possible to gently accelerate without resorting to chill mode. Once mastered i.e. don't treat the accelerator like an on/off switch, the problem of wanting the power when you need it (which is what this post is about) i.e. to overtake promptly and safety is achievable.

i.e. be gentle in standard mode - problem resolved

If your experience is any depression of the accelerator, irrespective of how much, results in hard acceleration I'd suggest your car has an issue and you might want to book it into the service centre to be checked

Last edited:

So manoeuvring into a tight car parking space sounds like it wouldn't be possible at all unless in Chill Mode by your description. You do need to use a light pressure on the pedal of course but I'm starting to wonder if some cars are more twitchy than others (In the same way that some cars have auto wipers that are consistently flaky whilst others are nowadays working well.)

Reactions: Scelto and jpm777
I've found that chill mode is a bit irrelevant. Throttle (can we call it that?) control is progressive both accelerating and decelerating. I did a bit of research and according the the font of all knowledge that is YouTube, there is very little, if any, difference in overall energy usage when cruising comparing standard and chill. The main impact seems to be the restriction in acceleration and the saving that gives.

Personally, I'd prefer to have the burst of speed for when I need it - overtaking or showing up a Corsa on the lights! I've had no complaints from any passengers, but I don't press it all the way to the floor when they're in the car.